Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Eagle Lake  (Read 3816 times)

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I was wondering if any one out there has fished Eagle Lake in late October, I did fish it last year in November in my boat but never in a kayak, I am new to this wonderfull sport and was thinking about leaving my boat behind this year and trying it in my new kayak or would that be a mistake. thanks for your comments

Pat

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Welcome to the board Pat.
I fished Eagle Lake over Labor Day weekend, and although it is a huge lake, a kayak can be very productive, especially when the weather cools and the trout move to feed in the tules.  We stayed in Spalding, and paddled across the lake to fish the Youth Camp, where I landed a 3.3 lber, lost another, and had several nice hits.  The pattern has changed since then, and the fish are spreading out.  Find the tules between Spalding and Pelican Point, and throw grubs/very small swimbaits.

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice fish, we are also going to stay at Spalding next month last year that area was to shallow to fish we cough most are fish fly-fishing with woolybugers brown or green. I might try it this year in my kayak thanks for the post.

Pat

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I used to fish the lake in  late November as well when the fish were in the shallows... also fished out of Spalding.  I'm unsure of the tactics in October.  The only way I've fished it is leadcore trolling with J-fair trolling flies.  Olive and Cinammon were the best colors, but each year it seemed the preferred one particular color, once you found it, you had it made. 

I have to think that if you can locate the depth that the fish are holding, the same tactics should work, just adjust the depth. 

I Look forward to a report if you go.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Going the third week in Oct. I will post a report if I don't FREEZE.

Pat

KZ

• Sea Lion
Here's a good report from Coastside that might be of some help to you.  Sounds like the lake has started to turn over already.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/380939/an/0/page/0#380939

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

surfingmarmot

I fished there two years ago in the last week of October. the lake had turned over and teh fish were scattered in the tules in 3-4 feet of water (or even less). We fly-fished from floats tubes with floating lines and Rust- of Olive-colored Woolly Buggers. the key, whcih took a bit to figure out was to retrieve v-e-r-y slowly. It was cold--water and air temp and we got whie-out conditions and white during a stomr one day. Fishing was very good though.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Beautiful bows  :smt007  I think an NCKA trip to Eagle Lake would be fun :smt002

BigDog

• Salmon
  • View Profile My wildlife habitat project
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
If someone puts a trip together, I have a place where everyone can camp. I have 7,000 acres of property that is 15 miles north of Eagle Lake Rd.
I am booked up for October but November is still wide open.

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm down for an eagle lake trip....1 open seat from lodi.   Will need a heavier sleeping bag, I think.

-Brian G
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 03:40:07 PM by Brian G »

KZ

• Sea Lion
You can rent cabins right in spaulding across from the boat launch pretty inexpensively as well.

Afternoon and morning entertainment provided by the crazy tame herd of Mule deer that live in town.  You can walk right upand grab them by the antlers... they'd come into the cabin with you if you let them.  It's nuts.  I have pictures hand feeding deer with them sticking their head into the cabin with the door cracked open. 

I'd LOVE to go, but not sure about the WAF issue.

EK

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the link it was helpful. If the fish are in the shallow then a kayak might be the way to go. Hear it another Link to Eagle lake.

http://eaglelakefishing.info/

Pat

surfingmarmot

If you camp in Nov, better be prepared for Winter camping--real Winter with snow flurries, overnight freezing, and some whiteo nteh ground after a storm. It was 22 degrees at dawn when I was there in late October 2 years ago and the shallow edges of hte lake wre glazed over with thin ice that melted by mid-day. What Eric says about the Deer is true--a group of us rented a cabin in Spalding (slept 8) and we feed them Apples next to the porch.

The rainbows are big and beuatiful there and they fight better than any Trout I have caught anywhere. The average size is 2-3 pounds--they are big hardy fish that theDFG uses as brood stock for inter-breeding  all over California. It is a unique strain of Rainbow Trout that can thrive in the highly alkaline lake that has no outlet and loses volume through evaporation.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
You can walk right upand grab them by the antlers...

Erik, I hope my fellow Flips (Filipinos) don't get word of this.....you might just half of Daly City move up there with their rice cookers ready at hand  :smt002

Let's get a date going for Eagle!!! I've never been there but always heard stories about it.  :smt007

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I had reservations for last year but a storm threw a wrench in things. Sat, Sunday, Monday trip? Mondays are better days than fridays for me to get off. Only weekend that will not work is the 11th and 12th. Maybe do it the first weekend in November?

-Brian G

anything