Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Preaching the PFD message ...  (Read 7252 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I posted this on facebook last night, and started a mini-shitstorm.  Thought it might be good fodder for discussion here.  Have at it!

-Allen

I know I might receive a bit of heat for this ...

Who are you to tell me to always wear a PFD? Are you the same person that tells me I must use a bicycle helmet, wear a seatbelt, or cross in the crosswalk? Meh! I think it's better to educate people, but still leave the decision up to them. Education does not mean bullying, or goading, or guilting. I know when I need a PFD, but I also know when it is below my risk tolerance, and at those times may choose not to wear one. So what of it?

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
All you can do is preach it. 

People take risks in all sorts of ways.  I am pretty much tired of telling people how dangerous it is to go into 50 degree water without one.  Now I just tell them how to call the coast guard and that they have to speak clear while they are in shock so that someone may be able to come and help but most likely after they are so cold they can't hang on any longer.  Then they say with what radio. 

-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
 :smt005.... I cant even keep up with the shitstorm you started hefe!! :smt005 :smt008 :smt006
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Yeah, I make a point of mentioning PFDs when talking to folks I know are just getting into paddling, but I don't mention it anymore to randos on the water or in the parking lot. I just steer clear of them now sadly.

folks are always going to get them selves wrecked not matter what information they have been given.

My problem with the whole "I know when I need a PFD, but I also know when it is below my risk tolerance, and at those times may choose not to wear one. So what of it?" argument is that things tend to transition from "no problem" to "big problem" faster than anyone can don a PFD that is stored in a hatch.
but whaddya gon do?
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I don't bother preaching it to most people. Someone that a is sincerely interested, that is another story.
As for me, I know what I'm doing, I've learned from my experiences and those of others. I don't need safety Nazis preaching to me. Damn, I hate the safety Nazis!
Does that stir the pot a bit?
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
things tend to transition from "no problem" to "big problem" faster than anyone can don a PFD that is stored in a hatch

Yep
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

polepole

• Administrator
My problem with the whole "I know when I need a PFD, but I also know when it is below my risk tolerance, and at those times may choose not to wear one. So what of it?" argument is that things tend to transition from "no problem" to "big problem" faster than anyone can don a PFD that is stored in a hatch.
but whaddya gon do?

I trust in my skills to assess the situation such that I would have chosen to wear a PFD in this case.  Note, I wear a PFD 99.9% of the time.  However, it was pointed out on fb that my argument should be less about me.  So let's take "me" out of this equation.  My problem is with the safety cop attitude that many take, one that does not foster an atmosphere of education and growth.

-Allen

VK

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
It's America. Everyone has the God given right to die of stupidity. I know I wear one, so that's me covered.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

polepole

• Administrator
It's America. Everyone has the God given right to die of stupidity. I know I wear one, so that's me covered.

This sentiment in this statement is part of the problem.  First, you assume someone is going to die.  Second, you assume they are stupid if they do.

-Allen

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
But if I keep it to myself...how is that at all effecting you...or whomever the hypothetical person is?
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

polepole

• Administrator
But if I keep it to myself...how is that at all effecting you...or whomever the hypothetical person is?

But you didn't keep it to yourself.   :smt002

-Allen

INSAYN

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
As an avid kayaker I have never really been much of a PFD police, more of one that will put on my PFD, make sure my kids have theirs on and go play in the water.  To newbies interested in fishing within my circle, I will point out the benefits of wearing one, as well as the pitfalls of not wearing one.  It is their choice in the end as to whether they wear one or not, but will be fishing alone.  This has never failed me.

Folks in the wild that I do get to chatting with that are Micheal Phelps in their own minds saying that PFD's are for pussies get reassured that if I am the responder to their near drowning experience, it will come at a price.  That price is not negotiated up front and will be swift, knowing how a panicking victim can cause harm to myself in the course of helping them.  I will reduce this harm to myself, while still providing assistance to the Micheal Phelps currently at the mercy of God.  To this day, I have not had to exercise my payment plan for a failing Micheal Phelps.   

Great topic to keep on your mind while playing on the water.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:36:59 AM by INSAYN »
"If voting could really change things, it would be illegal"

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Bottom line, I wear one for the people with me, my family, and the responders that  (god forbid) might be looking for me.
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Because we are having a discussion? I thought that was the point of this lol. My brain just exploded:light
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman