Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:37:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How many of you have 2-rod stamp?  (Read 326 times)

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

I've lost count over the years of how many people want to live in the fantasy world where you can fish two rods until you catch and keep a lingcod, rockfish or salmon.

I would only want a second rod to catch more bait, not more rockfish. Just drag a sabiki around behind me.  I can't imagine trying not to snag while trying to drift/jig two rods for rockfish or lingcod, haha.

And yes, a lot of people confuse the reg about when they can/can't have two rods, or which fish they can keep if they did have two lines in.

Also, for some reason, this made me think of Goldeneye...
- Kevin

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hmmm, the wife and I have a two rod license, mostly for crabbing with snares off the beach. I was always told, casting off the beach you need the two rod license for two rods and even fishing off a kayak, you need the two rod license in the open ocean. I have heard some people are getting a commercial license to use multiple rods in the bay and open ocean, to have a no limit on the catch. Can anyone comment on this please, enquiring minds want to know, please educate, R.
Nope, no limit on the ocean side, but there is still in the bay.  The 2 rod stamp specifically say:

Second Rod Validation    $19.44    Allows a person to fish with two rods or lines in inland waters, except for waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used.
Note: A Second Rod Validation is not required when fishing in ocean waters as defined in CCR, Title 14, Section 27.00. For general fishing gear restrictions in ocean waters, please refer to CCR, Title 14, Section 28.65. These sections can be found in the Saltwater Sport Fishing Regulations Booklet.

28.65. General. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook-and-line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

(a) San Francisco Bay, as described in Section 27.00, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.

(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

.... More on other restrictions...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 08:30:20 PM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: AlsHobieOutback
28.65. General. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook-and-line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

(a) San Francisco Bay, as described in Section 27.00, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.

(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

.... More on other restrictions...

"Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters..."  That's pretty lame that they mislead like that.  When rockfish/lingcod and salmon are the most popular saltwater fisheries in Nor Cal, they shouldn't write something so blatantly flawed and expect fishermen to just figure it out.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

Also, for some reason, this made me think of Goldeneye...
Best FPS of the day!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I always get the second rod thingy, but I'm not sure why, as I rarely fish freshwater.

In the ocean, I've seen kayakers fishing with 5 rods. They look like ocean-going porcupines.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
I have the two rod stamp, and use two rods while trolling for kokes...though this sometimes leads to huge frustration when I get them tangled, or when one snags as I'm reeling in a fish on the other.

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Other than in the ocean, I have two rods out all the time. Trout trolling, always. It just allows you to cover more of the water column with two different depths while trolling. If I'm somewhere that minnows are legal, I have a (minnow, grub, etc.) out, and casting with the other rod. Even in bass lakes where live bait use is not allowed, I'm drifting a small jig on one side and casting. I've had many times my jig is 15' below me, dragging in grass and it still gets hit? The amount of times my lines get fouled up is pretty minimal. And it's worth the dozen or so trout doubles I'll get every year. Nothing more exciting than getting in both fish on a double. I love the double in net pictures.  :smt003

Probably the only time I have gone to one rod is when the fishing is just so off the hook, it takes too long to reel in the second line and clean off the lure after catching on your other rod. I've had it a few times, when you start paddling, cast out, put the rod in the holder and hammered. Over and over again. One rod in those cases is enough. Those are rare days though.

SaltyTherapy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
Two rod is indispensable to koke, landlocked king, and trout trolling. Which is a majority of my time. Usually one rod shallow and one deep, almost never the same depth or presentation until I’m confidently dialed in. I like a second rod for striper bait fishing. Not getting your two trolling rods tangled is a skill in and of itself somewhat. Also learning to fight and net a fish while still maintaining a straight line troll, or in close combat type fisheries. Learning how to entice and play double ups too. Sometimes I have to shake the rust off and miss a net job or get impatient while doubled up it costs me a fish, and I know it’s time to brush up on some motor skills.
I don’t use my two rod when river trout/steelhead  fishing, bass, or fly fishing though. If that’s what you lean more towards it might not matter that much to get it.
Blue Revolution 13 2014
Papaya Compass 2020
Papaya Revolution 13 2022

Many fishermen spend their lives chasing fish, only to realize that it was themselves that they were chasing.

The "Salty" in my handle refers to my attitude, not the waters I fish

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Even if you only troll 1 rod it's nice to have another ready to cast at fish feeding on the surface. You don't have to reel in your trolled line before casting.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Two rod is indispensable to koke, landlocked king, and trout trolling. Which is a majority of my time. Usually one rod shallow and one deep, almost never the same depth or presentation until I’m confidently dialed in.
This.  It's always a good idea to be running multiple offerings and multiple depths.  You spend a long time and distance trolling for them, trying to figure out what they want.  Better to use two offerings or depths while covering ground.  I don't usually get much of an issue with tangles when I hookup.  I keep going with my pedals trying to keep trolling straight as I grab the rod and start reeling trying to keep tension.  When the fish starts getting close enough to net is when I turn my rudder towards the fish and try and land it.  My other line falls and in deep water I rarely have any issue retrieving it or having my fish get hung up in it.

anything