Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:35:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: The crazy photographer!  (Read 2781 times)

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Every year we plant a large family garden. I spend countless days tending the many varieties of fruit trees. When July comes around the tasty fruit hangs heavy on the trees, the grapes are starting to show color on the vines, peppers and tomatoes color the garden with reds and yellows. With out fail every year about once every other week or so someone stops by to ask for vegetables or fruit. If there is something going to waste I'll give a few away. Its just the right thing to do.

Our acreage is planted with silage corn. Its pesticide free but we put up signs stated it has been sprayed with pesticide. Keeps most out. The little that is lost to thieves is not really noticible and being silage corn they won't be back since it would taste and look like crap on the dinner table. Most of you know that I hate thieves.  :smt013

Now keep in mind that the house is in a fenced off area about 2 acres in size and this is where the hard grown trees and garden is kept. If the gate is open and someone drives in and honks or announces themselves I am typically less aggressive. If someone parks outside the gate or leaves their car running on the road while they walk in to the yard is an immediate red flag.

I telecommute most days. Yesterday was no exception.

I see this minivan drive up and down the road 4 times. Red Flag. It appears that the van has driven off and I don't see it for 20 minutes. I open the front door to get my mail and I see there is some one in the garden crouched over in the tomatoes.  :smt097

Bastard 'thief'.

I slip back inside and reemerge with my home defense system.  :smt066After taking a few steps on to the driveway I chamber a shell. Everybody knows that sounds. This shotgun pump sound was preceded by a loud "What the hell do you think you're doing". The response was "I'm here to do some shooting." Red Flag! I immediately drew a bead on the fellow. ( Safety was still on, by finger was ready to flip off ). :smt068 He complied by showing his hands in the air. :cheers: He began to explain that he was a photographer and 'shooting' photos. After seeing a camera case and tripod, I returned my barrel to the skyward position.

I berated him for trespassing but let him finish shooting his shots. I told him about my problem with the thieves, torched cars, mail thefts...etc.  He showed me some photos that he took and offered to mail me some prints. As we were talking the mail thief drove by and stopped at a neighbors box. I just happened to have a photographer with a camera in hand! He snapped a decent shot of the driver and the license plate. I was glad to make a new friend. :smt023 Turns out he does some kayak fishing in the sierras. I told him to check us out on NCKA.

-Brian G

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:40:13 PM by Brian G »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Good story. 

Turns out he does some kayak fishing in the sierras. I told him to check us out on NCKA.
Sounds like we might keep an eye out for new member called "CryZphotografer" (or something similar).
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Geeze!  Brian you have some interesting adventures.

Hope the DA will pursue the damn mail thieves....  for that matter, the thieves are probably lucky you had an "alternative" shoter in range otherwise.........

Give me a call when you're camping down here so we can visit.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
You need to post the photo when you get it.
I think I would have taken a shot too; and not with the camera!!!!!!
<=>

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
All that fun and you never left the yard.....I don't even have a mail box anymore.
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

Bungle

• Salmon
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Every year we plant a large family garden. I spend countless days tending the many varieties of fruit trees. When July comes around the tasty fruit hangs heavy on the trees, the grapes are starting to show color on the vines, peppers and tomatoes color the garden with reds and yellows. With out fail every year about once every other week or so someone stops by to ask for vegetables or fruit. If there is something going to waste I'll give a few away. Its just the right thing to do.

Our acreage is planted with silage corn. Its pesticide free but we put up signs stated it has been sprayed with pesticide. Keeps most out. The little that is lost to thieves is not really noticible and being silage corn they won't be back since it would taste and look like crap on the dinner table. Most of you know that I hate thieves.  :smt013

Now keep in mind that the house is in a fenced off area about 2 acres in size and this is where the hard grown trees and garden is kept. If the gate is open and someone drives in and honks or announces themselves I am typically less aggressive. If someone parks outside the gate or leaves their car running on the road while they walk in to the yard is an immediate red flag.

I telecommute most days. Yesterday was no exception.

I see this minivan drive up and down the road 4 times. Red Flag. It appears that the van has driven off and I don't see it for 20 minutes. I open the front door to get my mail and I see there is some one in the garden crouched over in the tomatoes.  :smt097

Bastard 'thief'.

I slip back inside and reemerge with my home defense system.  :smt066After taking a few steps on to the driveway I chamber a shell. Everybody knows that sounds. This shotgun pump sound was preceded by a loud "What the hell do you think you're doing". The response was "I'm here to do some shooting." Red Flag! I immediately drew a bead on the fellow. ( Safety was still on, by finger was ready to flip off ). :smt068 He complied by showing his hands in the air. :cheers: He began to explain that he was a photographer and 'shooting' photos. After seeing a camera case and tripod, I returned my barrel to the skyward position.

I berated him for trespassing but let him finish shooting his shots. I told him about my problem with the thieves, torched cars, mail thefts...etc.  He showed me some photos that he took and offered to mail me some prints. As we were talking the mail thief drove by and stopped at a neighbors box. I just happened to have a photographer with a camera in hand! He snapped a decent shot of the driver and the license plate. I was glad to make a new friend. :smt023 Turns out he does some kayak fishing in the sierras. I told him to check us out on NCKA.

-Brian G

You have shown excellent restraint - I woulda shot someone by now!   :smt012
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Almost sounds as exciting as Salinas!! Almost! :smt011
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
That whole time, I thought "silage corn" was secret code for pot LOL! Good story!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything