Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trout Lures  (Read 10618 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'm not much of a trout fisher, but there's been a few times when fishing in streams that a little cleo was the only thing that would work. It seemed to me that it could get down just a little bit deeper than anything else, and that can be key.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Getting near to the end of some of my favorites. Thanks for all the input.

A few more that I have had luck with.

Kastmaster's in trout pattern.

Good luck this winter to all you trout heads. Gotta make it up to Almador !!!!!    :smt007

Kastmaster (silver/blue on clear days, gold on cloudy days)

Panther Martin- any gold/black variation seems to do the trick

For small mountain streams, I really like tossing the smallest size rooster tail - black body, silver blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. haven't fished a mountain stream in decades AlexB. The last time was somewhere near Bridgeport as a teenager. Yikes ! about 1977.  :smt005

Alex
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:20:41 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Here are a few of my favs for stocker trout when not using a dodger & worm :)

And if anybody gets an itch to go catch some monster trout in Nevada, here are my favorite pyramid lake lures, that spoon in bottom right caught more fish than all others combined. I think it called flashy times, by bass pro.

but that 1/8th ounce grey and white marabou jig in pic above catches the biggest fish!

Now is the time for the big ones!!! I miss that placeLake most of all since moving.
AOTY 2014

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
Here are a few of my favs for stocker trout when not using a dodger & worm :)

And if anybody gets an itch to go catch some monster trout in Nevada, here are my favorite pyramid lake lures, that spoon in bottom right caught more fish than all others combined. I think it called flashy times, by bass pro.

but that 1/8th ounce grey and white marabou jig in pic above catches the biggest fish!

Now is the time for the big ones!!! I miss that placeLake most of all since moving.

:smt007

Thanks for the post ISF ! I had read posts of pyramid but was not high priority list for some reason That pic got me thinking.  :smt001 It is about 15 minutes closer than Almanor to me. Need to do my research on pyramid as well as techniques on jigging. Never tried jigging for trout.

That trout is the size of a small salmon !  :smt007

Alex
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:09:39 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I fish mainly 12-14" stockers these days as big mutant Lassen's are a Norcal thing. Ha ha, I do miss Shadow Cliff's. 90% of the fish I have caught kayak trolling are on the following lures:

Rapala J-7 Brook Trout or Rainbow Trout - > 14" hatchery trout
Rapala F-5 Brook Trout or Rainbow Trout 12"-14" hatchery trout
Rapala GSR-4 Perch > 14" hatchery trout
Rapala JSR-5 Silver Shad or Blue Shad - > 14" hatchery trout
Kastmaster 1/4 oz Blue/Silver, Firetiger >14" hatchery trout
Superduper 1/8 oz silver 12"-14" hatchery trout
Black or Olive Gold Bead Wooly Bugger >14" hatchery trout
Flatfish F-4 Perch Scale - 12"-14" hatchery trout

I do upscale the hooks on the J-7 to size 8 red Gamakatsu's and use a Rapala knot on the J-7 and F-5 and of course Procure on everything. I have been using a lot of custom designed hoochies for mixed species trolling (trout, kokanee, king) with daisy chained hoochie gang trolls which I make with Mac smile blades. They work well but nothing out fishes the Rapala J-7 and F-5 under most conditions unless they are deep. Their only weakness is the double trebles are hard on the fish if you are fishing CNR which I do a lot these days as catching a limit is often pretty easy.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My favorite lures for Shadow Cliffs are as follows.  I don't really fish too many other lakes for trout other than Almanor, as there's no point driving 2 hours for stockers when i can catch them 5 minutes away.  I spend most of my time trolling at sc because the fish don't really school up enough for me to target casting lures.  Its just a big crapshoot when I try to figure out where they are.

Topline -
BX-06 Jointed Shad Rapala - a little jointed rapala that has a nice wiggle and small size. I use them in several colors but the sc trout seem to like the blue back herring just fine, which is great because i got them on clearance and bought the entire stock that sport chalet had before they went out of business.
Rapala F9 in Rainbow trout - for what ever reason, the "ole reliable" just produces really well at sc.  Its not jointed, it has no special features, its just a stick bait that catches fish.
Rapala JSR-5 - this is also a great bait when the fish are a bit deeper. I like to run this lure as well as one of the other top 2 when I'm trying to figure out if the fish are on top or a little deeper.
Grubs - they produce real well, but i hate fishing them.  I have to troll too slow and the bites are not real aggressive.
Rapala J-7 - very popular lure for trout.  I've done OK on them at sc but other lures have done better.

Downrigger - As I've mentioned before, I've had problems with downriggers at shadow cliffs because there are lots of small bass down deep.  So i drop it down, then a small bass hits, and I have to reset the whole d*** thing.
Needlefish/Dick Nites
Grubs
F5 Rapalas

Non trolling - just use powerbait, power worms, power eggs or maybe a floating cigarette butt with a hook in it wacky style.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
Superduper 1/8 oz silver 12"-14" hatchery trout

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott. So if any one was following my posts , (  :smt001  ) this was the lure that caught my fish at shadow cliffs a few weeks ago. The old standard . 

Non trolling -  a floating cigarette butt with a hook in it wacky style.

Some days that's all it takes

:smt044  :smt044

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
Hey all.

Here is my (two-sided) trout box. Haven't used them much unfortunately, with all the ocean fishing. Bought a ton of lures heavily discounted when Sportsmart was selling their fishing section off. Really have to get some Eastern Sierra trips together next season (and maybe one before the season ends) - both dayhiking/backpacking and kayak fishing. Thanks to everyone sharing their lures and experience...

Panther Martins / Rooster Tails / Mepps, Super Dupers, Kastmasters
Rapalas, Yo-Zuri, Thomas Bouyant, Sierra Slammers Trout Jigs (few colors)

Been using the Bouyant's for a couple of years now casting from shore. had some good luck with them.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006
  Rooster tails for me.  I give them hair cuts before use though.  I was getting short strikes one trip and determined the fish were  grabbing the hair not the hook! 
  Fixed that by cutting the hair right at the hooks.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Alex- Jigging for trout is super fun! At least with the marabou jigs and gulp minnows. I don't jig them like I would the gibbs minnows or like irons in the ocean. Its more of a subtle twitching action, I like to cast it out let it hit bottom or get close to bottom then reel, twitch, let drop, twitch, reel. this is the style that has worked best for me. I enjoy it more than casting and retrieving lures. The small tube jigs same sort of thing, cast um out twitch um around, I bet they would hammer those shadow cliff stalkers!! Squirt a little krill or shrimp procure up the skirt also. Grasshopper is my favorite but white is also good.
AOTY 2014

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
Alex- Jigging for trout is super fun! At least with the marabou jigs and gulp minnows. I don't jig them like I would the gibbs minnows or like irons in the ocean. Its more of a subtle twitching action, I like to cast it out let it hit bottom or get close to bottom then reel, twitch, let drop, twitch, reel. this is the style that has worked best for me. I enjoy it more than casting and retrieving lures. The small tube jigs same sort of thing, cast um out twitch um around, I bet they would hammer those shadow cliff stalkers!! Squirt a little krill or shrimp procure up the skirt also. Grasshopper is my favorite but white is also good.

Gonna give this so called jigging a try. Sure its just a fad that will pass.  :smt003

I use to use scent way back when for salmon on my chovies. Kinda got away from it over the years.

Now that I think about it. When I caught my Lasssen's at shadow cliffs the other week, I had rubbed power bait on my hands and lure because I had just pee'd. So don't know if it was the power bait scent or the pee ? lol

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Yak C-137

• Paddle for Peace of mind.
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Since I almost exclusively troll from my kayak, mostly top lining, I'll fish all the way from the surface down to 30' pulling Rapalas of various shapes & sizes. I'm kind of surprised that I'm able to consistently catch trout focusing on color & depth of the lure rather than size of the bait. I've caught more dink bows off of JSR-7, JSCR-9 & TDD-09 Rapalas than pulling rooster tails, needle fish and the like. I will also pull bigger walleye banana-style lures (TDD-09 & TDD-011) for larger fish in deeper water.

My main go-to Rapala lures are:
- JSR-4, 5 & 7 (fire tiger, orange tiger, red craw)
- JSCR-9 (fire tiger, hot steel, rainbow)
- TDD-7, 9 & 11 (any UV color, rainbow)
- ULC-03 (shad & silver/blue)

I usually run (2) rods at once to cover a 7-10' depth difference. Using longer rods helps to spread out the lines away from the kayak and actually helps with landing fish, IMHO.

I always like to give any lure I'm pulling a little of the Kavorka...garlic or trophy trout Pro-Cure does the trick.

Go Blue.

2019 Hobie PA 14
2016 Jackson Kraken Elite 13.5

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I use to use scent way back when for salmon on my chovies. Kinda got away from it over the years.

Now that I think about it. When I caught my Lasssen's at shadow cliffs the other week, I had rubbed power bait on my hands and lure because I had just pee'd. So don't know if it was the power bait scent or the pee ? lol

Alex
I'm a firm believer in adding scent to lures, especially slow-action lures like jigs.  It doesn't always make a difference, like when the trout are particularly grabby.  But on those tough days when you may have a lot of fish follow your lure but not hit, I've seen scent become a game-changer.  It's just another tool to keep in the toolbox.
aMayesing Bros.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
After landing and releasing the first fish by holding its mouth with wet fingers, I then like to rub my fishy fingers on the lure I'm using. I am convinced it works, for all species, salt or freshwater. Otherwise, I don't like messing with scents.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
Really appreciate and enjoy all the input.  :smt006

Some great info that has brought back some things I hadn't tried in a llloooonnnggggg time. As a young trout fisherman back in the day I used a lot of these techniques, well except for the jigging.

Got away from trout fishing for a big minute (my sons taught me that term ) and am enjoying re-discovering it !   :smt007

The problem is I have to put in some miles to get to some decent trout fishing. Nothing to close to the Salinas area.

I did here that Los Banos creek reservoir will be planting soon.

I am also thinking of dedicating a trolling reel with lead core fishing line for the deeper ones. Advise on that would be appreciated.

I usually run (2) rods at once to cover a 7-10' depth difference. Using longer rods helps to spread out the lines away from the kayak and actually helps with landing fish, IMHO.

I run 7.5 to 8 foot rods on my boat and kayak when trolling the bigger lakes, but can be tough on the smaller lakes in a kayak where there is more traffic.

Big yes to the natural and artificial scents as another tool. I always wash ( rinse ) my hands in the water that I am fishing before I begin using my gear .

Alex
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:59:44 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback