Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rock and Bottom Fish on the fly  (Read 7682 times)

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Just a follow-up on all the great advice I've received.

I've dialed things in.  I've switched to an intermediate running line with 18' of T-14 (T-18 when needed).  From the sink tip, I'm using a 12" length of 30# Maxima attached with a nail knot, and about 9' of 15# level mono leader to the fly.

The hinges are mostly eliminated and I can pitch a Clouser 50-feet, without hauling, all day without wearing out my shoulder now that suf12foot has taught me to slow down and stop worrying about tight loops.  Thank you, Scott.

This rigging can be a butt-pain when I break off a leader, but the difference in casting is worth it.  I'll work with a loop-to-loop connection from the sink tip to the leader this year.

It wasn't a simple transition from fishing for trout with dry flies to fishing for bottom fish, but it's definitely worth the effort.

Thanks to Scurvy and ScottV and surf12foot, I'm addicted...  Thanks, guys.

Port Orford? Was on the dry dock last week, picked up some killer smoked albacore and salmon on the way back from a steelheading trip. Do you launch there? Looks like some killer water on the other side from the picture, there were some whales out there when we were chillin'
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Tinker

Yeah, I launch from Dock Beach and take advantage of the shelter from the dock.  The coves on the opposite side of the dock can produce lingcod and rockfish, but it can be tough fishing.  The area was totally fished-out - practically a desert - and is just starting to recover, but it should be great in a couple of years.

But I prefer to fish out of Sunset Beach.  Fewer pesky whales...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:29:27 PM by Tinker »

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yeah, I launch from Dock Beach and take advantage of the shelter from the dock.  The coves on the opposite side of the dock can produce lingcod and rockfish, but it can be tough fishing.  The area was totally fished-out - practically a desert - and is just starting to recover, but it should be great in a couple of years.

But I prefer to fish out of Sunset Beach.  Fewer pesky whales...

cool thanks for info. I stayed at a spot south of GB with a killer little beach launch... someday
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Tinker

If you get a chance to launch out of Port Orford, drop me a PM.