Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:41:47 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak fishing moss landing?  (Read 687 times)

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Hey all,

I wanted to try fishing moss landing, only time ive gone out there was for a party boat which wasn’t too fruitful, and conditions were rough so I didn’t take much away from the trip.

Just curious if anyone’s had experience kayak fishing out of moss? I know it gets fairly deep there, so the creatures below the surface may be a little bigger and scarier. I normally fish hmb pretty heavily, but now that I’m closer to moss, wanted to see if it’s worth the change of scenery. Hmb has pretty easy launches and it’s not too deep, so fairly forgiving for us yakerS, aside from the fan.

If anyone has any info or experience they’d be willing to share, please let me know!

Thanks!

-Don

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I prefer Capitola , Santa Cruz or Monterey . Santa Cruz has produced a few halibut already. I would only fish Moss if we were lucky enough to have the salmon come in close this year.

You can catch sand dabs slight north and straight out of Moss starting at 60 to 80 feet and a occasional halibut there. Definitely watch the current and tides. Prefer a incoming tide returning.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

superd270

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Hey all,

I wanted to try fishing moss landing, only time ive gone out there was for a party boat which wasn’t too fruitful, and conditions were rough so I didn’t take much away from the trip.

Just curious if anyone’s had experience kayak fishing out of moss? I know it gets fairly deep there, so the creatures below the surface may be a little bigger and scarier. I normally fish hmb pretty heavily, but now that I’m closer to moss, wanted to see if it’s worth the change of scenery. Hmb has pretty easy launches and it’s not too deep, so fairly forgiving for us yakerS, aside from the fan.

If anyone has any info or experience they’d be willing to share, please let me know!
Thanks!
-Don

Don,
papio3 aka Jae has frequented Moss and would be a very good resource for information regarding fishing Moss.
Send him a pm.
Danny

Going Fishing?
Winds from the south, hook in
    the mouth.
Wind from the east, bite the least.
Wind from the north, further off.
Wind from the west, bite the
    best.

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Thanks gents!

Alex, capitala isn’t that far for me, how’s the salmon out there? Perhaps rockfish? Don’t ever think I’ve scoped out capitola specifically for yak fishing.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Thanks gents!

Alex, capitala isn’t that far for me, how’s the salmon out there? Perhaps rockfish? Don’t ever think I’ve scoped out capitola specifically for yak fishing.

In between capitola and santa cruz in 40 to 60 feet of water can be productive for Halibut . You will have to learn the local reefs for rockfish.

The salmon can come close to the santa cruz harbor at times.

Ncka Bushy does guided trips. Might be good to hook up with him to speed up the learning curve.  :smt001
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback