Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:39:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: More Than One GO ID on Crab Buoys  (Read 1019 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
March 15, 2018

Question: Is there any regulation that would prohibit multiple GO IDs on crab buoys? For instance, if a group of friends wanted to share the same crab gear, could they each place their GO IDs on the buoys? (Steve Brown)

Answer: For recreational fishing, there is no regulation prohibiting multiple GO IDs on crab trap buoys used under a sport fishing license (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 29.80(c)(3).) The GO ID number on the buoy must match the GO ID of the operator’s sport fishing license (section 29.80(c)(3).)

If the operator is not the owner of the gear, then written permission from the owner of the trap needs to be in the operator’s possession. This includes permission transmitted by email or text (section 29.80(a)(3)).

There is an exception in section 29.85(a)(5), which requires that crab traps used on a commercial passenger fishing vessel have the commercial boat registration number on the buoy.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
How, exactly, is that supposed to prevent crab pot theft?

It's almost like this rule was never about stopping pot thieves and more about being able to track down crab pot owners whose pots have a marine mammal entanglement.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I never really saw anything giving a reason for the ID requirement, but I always thought it was to be able to lay responsibility on the owner for problems caused by their equipment.

Like your license plate on your car isn't to track down stolen cars, it's to be able to identify your vehicle for other law enforcement reasons.

But that's just my jaded thinking.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

It's almost like this rule was never about stopping pot thieves and more about being able to track down crab pot owners whose pots have a marine mammal entanglement.
This is a good way to prevent crab pot theft  :smt070

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

lazyhook

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

If you have any crab gear in your possession, and it has somebody else's ID number on it, it's very hard to claim "Oh, I thought this was mine or my friend's."  Similarly, if you're seen pulling somebody else's gear, you can't try to claim the same defenses.

You don't actually have to steal the gear itself.  Just messing with somebody else's gear is an offense.
That's also why some previous guidance from DFW on what to do if you think some gear is in the way of a boat traffic lane was to call harbor patrol/USCG/DFW rather than move it yourself.  That way, there couldn't be any claim against you or similar misunderstanding. 

I've actually seen somebody else pull my stuff at Noyo a couple years and told DFW (they just happened to be returning from a patrol), but the guy made the claim that he "thought it was his friend's."  Since they didn't actually see it happen themselves, and there was no requirement to mark recreational gear at that time, they didn't try to cite him.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

If you have any crab gear in your possession, and it has somebody else's ID number on it, it's very hard to claim "Oh, I thought this was mine or my friend's."  Similarly, if you're seen pulling somebody else's gear, you can't try to claim the same defenses.

You don't actually have to steal the gear itself.  Just messing with somebody else's gear is an offense.
That's also why some previous guidance from DFW on what to do if you think some gear is in the way of a boat traffic lane was to call harbor patrol/USCG/DFW rather than move it yourself.  That way, there couldn't be any claim against you or similar misunderstanding. 

I've actually seen somebody else pull my stuff at Noyo a couple years and told DFW (they just happened to be returning from a patrol), but the guy made the claim that he "thought it was his friend's."  Since they didn't actually see it happen themselves, and there was no requirement to mark recreational gear at that time, they didn't try to cite him.

So the thief has to carry a sharpie and know how to write a 10 digit number.  Not a real high bar to get around the problem.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

ecorson03

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
What about take limit if you have your kid with you? Since they dont need a license, Can you use the same pot for the both of you?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What about take limit if you have your kid with you? Since they dont need a license, Can you use the same pot for the both of you?

Yes that’s not a problem.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

ecorson03

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

Yes that�s not a problem.

Thanks!

yatzmail@yahoo.com

FYI only - don't do this when clam digging in tomales bay or elsewhere. Kids have to dig their own.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

FYI only - don't do this when clam digging in tomales bay or elsewhere. Kids have to dig their own.

The kids need to actively participate. It’s common for two oeople to dig together and take two limits. You can’t have your newborn in a backpack and take two limits but any kid from say 5 years old and older can hep enough to actively participate. I don’t know the exact enforcement philosophy in tomales but giving a guy a ticket for overlimits of crabs because his six year old wasn’t helping enough for the wardens taste would not go over well up here. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

yatzmail@yahoo.com

The kids need to actively participate. It’s common for two oeople to dig together and take two limits. You can’t have your newborn in a backpack and take two limits but any kid from say 5 years old and older can hep enough to actively participate. I don’t know the exact enforcement philosophy in tomales but giving a guy a ticket for overlimits of crabs because his six year old wasn’t helping enough for the wardens taste would not go over well up here.
My kids were 7 & 8 at the time. They were kind enough to let us off with a stern warning. You also can't just dig and have your kids pick up the clams :)

anything