Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: specialty knots.....  (Read 79511 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
dropper loop knot

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:32:32 AM by Mooch »

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
palomar knot (my personal favorite)

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
uni knot & uni to uni knot....

double uni knot

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:53:51 AM by Mooch »

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Improved clinch knot....

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
modified slip knot....

khmunger

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Mooch, I just saw the video on the Uni Knot to Uni Knot.  How close can you trim the tag ends and keep the knot secure?  Obviously, the closer the better for going through Rod Guides or anything else the knot can get caught on.  This knot seems perfect for attaching Spectra to Monofilament leaders.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Mooch, I just saw the video on the Uni Knot to Uni Knot.  How close can you trim the tag ends and keep the knot secure?  Obviously, the closer the better for going through Rod Guides or anything else the knot can get caught on.  This knot seems perfect for attaching Spectra to Monofilament leaders.

for this reason the albright is usually used on a thicker mono leader. if the mono leader is thick enough for the protruding tag end to be a problem with a uni to uni, use an albright.

john m. airey

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Fantastic thread.  Not sure how I missed it.  Had I saw this before the MBK tourney, I wouldn't have needed to bug GB2.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for somebody to post how to tie the albright. :smt003

Michael

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
the knot can get caught on.

In my experience, I have never had a problem using the uni to uni. Sure you feel the knot "tick" the guide but I have never broken off my line because of it. Use the knot system that works for you  :smt002

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
Fantastic thread.  Not sure how I missed it.  Had I saw this before the MBK tourney, I wouldn't have needed to bug GB2.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for somebody to post how to tie the albright. :smt003

Michael

If ya look at the first utube knot video, and look at the other vids on the bottom, you will see a video for the

albright

There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If ya look at the first utube knot video, and look at the other vids on the bottom, you will see a video for the

albright

Thanks Don, I'll check it out and try tying both the albright and uni to uni to see which I feel more comfortable with.

Michael

bblatt

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
From fish*ing (fish'ing)
1. n. the art of casting, trolling, jigging or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting or swearing.

By Henry Beard & Roy McKie

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I use both knots. uni-to-uni and albright. more about the albright here:

I don't tie albrights on the yak, I generally stick with a uni knot there. and try to tie no knots on the ocean if I can.

An albright is very smooth through the guides, so if you want a casting leader (to absorb the shock and abrasion of casting) or winding thick leader (40 and above) through your guides with braid mainline, they are the best choice.

both my rods have a doubled section of 30lb braid which is tied to a rod length section of mono, which goes to a snap swivel with a slido above it (for threeway use). the leaders I use have a surgeon's knot at the top which goes in the snap swivel. at the bottom of the leader is a duolock snap tied with either a palomar or a uni (can't decide which I like better there). I often tie a dropper loop in the middle of the leader for a teaser.

my mainline should be doubled with a bimini twist, but I cheat and use a surgeons loop. that would hurt me if I was offshore fishing, but here, no penalty.

I used to tie the braid directly to the snap swivel and that works well, but you do get cases of the braid abrading and you should retie that every trip. With the setup I have now I only retie the snap swivel after a trip if the mono is abraded and that happens slowly so that means I am not retying my albrights very often.

the big key with tying a good albright is the tightening stage. you want to work the opposite tags and mains against each other slowly and with increasing force before you finally pull main to main and then trim. when you trim I trim real careful and with an angled trim on the thick leader so it is even smoother. some people put a dab of glue over it to make it smoother and give some abrasion protection to the coils of the smaller mainline. I don't do that cause I never have any suitable glue handy but would if I did.

generally an albright is something you use fishing for bigger fish or casting big weights real far, it is not really required for our provincial form of fishing which is pulling up 2lb rockfish with 40lb gear (okay, you do get a ling or halibut once in while, but the gear handles those easily too) and does not really need any special equipment (a handline would work fine), but it's a good thing to know.

dilbert, you should get yourself a $15 copy of vic dunaway's bait, rigs and tackle as he will explain this all to you with nice pictures. that's what I used to teach myself.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:06:23 AM by jmairey »
john m. airey

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I use both knots. uni-to-uni and albright. more about the albright here:

I don't tie albrights on the yak, I generally stick with a uni knot there. and try to tie no knots on the ocean if I can.

my mainline should be doubled with a bimini twist, but I cheat and use a surgeons loop. that would hurt me if I was offshore fishing, but here, no penalty.

John -

In a recent review of knots, the spider hitch performed as well as a bimini for producing a double line. I tie a bimini albright off the water and a bimin-spider hitch or double uni on the water, but I also pre-tie leaders so I rarely tie on the water.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

anything