Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:33:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Outback Defects?  (Read 6899 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I have had my Outback for under a year now, and of course I absolutely love it!  It's been safe, sturdy, comfortable, and a blast to fish in for me. 

But right away I noticed some oddities about the craftsmanship of my new yak.  I haven't really worried that much about the defects.  But then I have been reading about some other peoples experiences with Hobie issues like the Hobie cart damaging the scupper holes, drive well cracks, etc.  Thought maybe I should see if anyone else have had issues like mine, or can tell me if these are normal.

First thing I noticed when I got my new yack was some plastic shavings like from a drill on the inside near the front hatch.  Then I noticed that the mast hole had been "carved" by a tool or something, not very clean craftsmanship:

hobie mast hole 01   hobie mast hole 02   hobie mast hole 03

Then there is the odd shaped scuppers in the back of the yack.  The left one is slightly oval and bigger than the one on the right.  Is everyone's hobie like this?  Only advantage I see would be the kayak cart would have some wiggle room, maybe helps avoid the cracks from forming? 

hobie left scupper 01               hobie supper holes 01          hobie right scupper 01

But as you can see, the right hand scupper hole is too small for the factory scupper plug to even fit into!  Whats up with that?  The left one goes in, kinda molds to the shape of oval, but all the way down at least.

hobie supper holes 03

Well, they don't seem to really be impairing my kayaking or anything, but I still wanted to know if others have noticed these types of defects (or features?) in their boats.

Cheers! :smt006
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Hi Al,

The shavings in a new hull are just leftover from the manufacturing process.  No worries there.  The slightly shoddy mast hole cover surprises me.  I'd have hoped Hobie would do a better job there.  The oval scupper hole?  I don't know. The scuppers on my '07 Sport are both round.

If your OB is an '07, you're okay on the drive well.  If it's an '06 or earlier, do more research there.  I think there is a fix-it kit. Or there is also the new hull replacement option, like Troy is doing:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,11550.0.html

I use the scupper hole cart on my Sport regularly, but not when it's loaded with heavy gear, and I use the soft tires and wheel it gently. Yes, I've heard of scupper damage from the cart on loaded Hobies over rough terrain.  Better off with a non-scupper cart for heavily loaded yaks.

Hopefully other OB owners with your same-year hull will pitch in here... -Matt

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Al,

Does your scupper cart fit into the scuppers?  If not, I'd be on the fast track back to the dealer.  I'm guessing that you store your OB inside?  Even if it was outside, I don't know that UV Rays could do that much damage.  The plastic would have to be heated quite a bit.  BTW, I peddle an '07 Adventure and my scuppers are fine.

As for the shavings, mine also had them.  I have to agree with Matt, think they are just left over from the manufacturing process. 

Although it won't affect performance, I do find it odd that your mast has shavings that look like they're poking thru.  One would think that they would want to clean that up before letting it leave the factory.

Definitely get those scuppers checked out.

Michael

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Cart fits fine, and I have loaded the yack and hauled it up and down the pebble grade at Dell Valle, to the left of the dock with no issues.  It's a little loose on the left of course, but really doesn't seem to affect transport, just seems easier to pull out once down into the water. 

Not worried about the drive well, since mine is an 07' and should be defect free, but I will keep an eye on it anyway since its a stress point. 

They also advertise as a seamless hull, but i have a slight edge all the way around where the top meets the bottom half.  I have been tempted to take a sander and smooth it out, but don't think it's a problem.  Its not really measurable, but it can be felt by your fingertips most the way around.

It just seems like my OB might have been a little less quality checked before it went out the door.  The mast insert bothers me, but doesn't look like its really going to hurt.  The scupper plugs not fitting kinda bothers me, but usually leave them out unless im worried about getting wet (like cold days).  Then I have to make sure that my crate isn't resting on the right hand plug, makes it sit a little crooked.

All in all, probably not a big deal, but still wanted to know if others had noticed similar defects in their yacks.

Thanks guys!

Alain-
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
 When I got my Pro Deal Blem, that Hobie had several issues, but that comes with the territory of Blems,

If you paid full price,  Talk to your dealer and get it replaced.

It should be perfect.

and the drive well thing is with older 05's and I guess some 06's.

Supprised that they let yours out of the shop like that,  not good and I believe they should

take care of that ........... Danglin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:59:12 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

sigelvictory

• Sea Lion
  • ahem, did you not get the memo?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I have a brand new outback too... No big deal on the shavings, but the scupper thing seems bad... mine are the same... actually round, and the plugs dont really go all the way into either, but they seal just fine, and are at least symetrical!  The ridge all the way around it from where they mate the top and bottom halves of the boat... since they are actully bonded together, with heat I guess, they call it seamless... of course there are no seams below the water line and that is what would really seem to count..
Never trust a man that doesnt like to fish...

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
  I'll be getting my replacement 08' OB here in next few days (Due at local dealer Wed 20th)  I'll look at it when it when I go to pick it up and see if it has the same listed issues as yours.

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

sharkfeed

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
All hobie kayaks are rotomolded, which means there is no seam, 1 piece. That ridge around the boat and most rotomolded boats are where the two molds-Top and bottom come together. The loose bits are left over from manufacturing. nothing to worry about. If you are really concerned about the scupper holes you should take it back to the dealer that you purchased it from to have it checked out. A reputable dealer will take care of you as long as you take it to the dealer you bought it from. If you ordered it from the internet good luck

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Why are we always reading about defects in Hobies is it their QA or Design flaws?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

H2Ospider

Ive kept my keyboard silent for a long while reguarding this, but with so many issues coming up here I feel that the time has come. I apologize to the NCKA at large for being silent so long.
In the 20 years Ive been paddling Ive owned one hobie boat. It was the Quest and not one of their kayak imitator pedaling things.     NEVER EVER again.
When I was fishing with the SoCal posse and we had multiple boats on the truck, my Hobie boat was always mishapen when unloaded, while ALL other brands kept their shape.
Then, I had a hole in the hull after about 3 months.
When I brought the hole to the attention of the outfitter I was accused of being abusive to all of my boats and it was all my fault. When I called Hobie I was told that "the quality person" was in Costa Rica for the next 3 weeks and I could call back then.
I told Hobie to enjoy some self sodemization and advised them that we were officially at war.
The crew that had witnessed the hull failure was more than happy to chastise every Hobie rider they saw on the water. My part was to contact every other paddler I knew and then post a review of my experience with Hobie on every kayak fishing forum on the planet.
It didnt take long for Hobie to recontact me and I advised them that I would be returning to the outfitter and picking any non Hobie boat I wanted off the wall, and it was so.
Follow up was that Hobie believed that my boat was thin hulled, but it was also confessed that it was possible that when they did their in house mixing of granite coloration with the plastics that it may soften it some. I left it at that but Hobie was dead to me.
Hobie may outright deny this event but I believe that my history with the NCKA would prove that Im no maliscious whiner but a paddler who expects quality from the crafter of the boats I buy.
sorry for the rant but I could no longer hold back with so many new folks being seduced by the wannabe pedaling things and inferior plastics.
im done
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:54:15 AM by Hydrospider »

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Terry, I don't see it as a rant and I even own a Hobie.  It's good for prospective buyers to hear these kinds of stories and know all the facts.  It allows them to make an educated decision.

BTW, how long ago did this episode occur?

Michael

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
What year was that Hobie, Terry?  I do love my '07 Hobie Sport, and have friends with Hobies who love them too, and have had excellent customer service, so I'm surprised at your experience, but thanks, really, for the speaking up with the info.

My hull seems very thick, and I don't get any distortion, so I wonder if the hulls have gotten thicker over the years.

I'm not trying to defend Hobie or rationalize the pedal capability, nor the outrageous way you were treated.  Inexcusable!  I know it's a different animal, and if we don't want to call them Kayaks, that's fine by me. 

All I know is I love the hands-free capability, and I get great exercise in both my legs and arms, and I love to sail, too.  Everything seems very well designed and crafted. Sure the drive system needs a little maintenance, but it's really quite simple. 

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad experience.  Heck, maybe your "going to war" awhile back with Hobie caused some improvements in design, construction and customer service that we now enjoy today.

Anyway, get whichever boat that suits us best and be happy.  I do have great admiration for the pure paddler (non-pedal) folks.  To each their own.

So no argument here...just my own experiences/.02.   -Matt

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sure the drive system needs a little maintenance, but it's really quite simple.

Quick Threadjack - Matt and all other Hobie pedalers, what do you do for mainenance?  I rinse and occasionally spray with WD-40.  That was all I recall being in the owner manuel.  Should I be doing more?  Thanks.

Michael

H2Ospider

I believe it was the summer of 2005.  The real bummer was that the hole was discovered on day 2 of a 10 day trip.  I was forced to use shoe goo and duct tape to finish the adventure.
The Quest was a fairly smart boat as far as layout went but it just couldnt withstand the beating.
My treatment of my plastic fleet hasnt changed and im still using the replacement boat I took off the wall in 05.
There was a huge postive that came from this experience.  The almost 10 year relationship with the outfitter was over and I needed another dealer since I was going to continue my "abusive" ways with kayaks.  My search led me to the GWKC and Leah told me about the NCKA. Everything happens for a reason right?
Ive really nothing aginst those who choose to pedal and when my shoulders are completely blown out and Im forced to retire, ill probably go that route. But I do believe that pedaling keeps the paddle strapped and basic kayak skills are not developed or maintained. Then when the situation arises and you must get athletic and take command of the boat, the paddle will not be a powerful extension of self but a water slapper.
I kept silent so long out of respect for the one person at Hobie who stepped up and made "the deal" happen, but after reading so many problems and concerns it now seems that it may be a real safety issue.
be careful team hobie and embrace the pool noodle technology.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:56:10 AM by Hydrospider »

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
But I do believe that peddling keeps the paddle strapped and basic kayak skills are not developed or maintained. Then when the situation arises and you must get athletic and take command of the boat, the paddle will not be a powerful extension of self but a water slapper.

I admit my guilt.  I definitely have not developed paddling skills.  Although I'm an athletic guy, I would lack endurance because those skills haven't been developed.  Not to say that I don't paddle, because I do on occasion, just not with the correct technique.

On the immediate to do list: surf entry/exit lessons and how to properly paddle.

Michael