Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tips for stair landing sws  (Read 2351 times)

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I am very familiar with those lovely stairs!  :smt005

Stair launch is way easier than stair landing...

For launch, I find the easiest way is to slide yak all the way down stairs as far as you can, then jump down in between breakers onto sand/boulders and then pull yak onto water when next wave comes in and then go quick...

For landing I try and bail off before bottom stair and race up onto stairs with bow line in one hand and paddle in other then pull up yak onto stairs...

Obviously avoiding the super high tides, or choosing a diff spot on those days will make your experience a little easier.

:smt001

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

ReelE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
About a month ago I stood on that "ramp" and a voice in one ear said, "Maybe it isn't such a good idea to launch, it's already over the stairs and it's going to be higher on the way in. And look at those swells, sure, they're pretty small, for surfers, but they are constantly rolling in, no real breaks."   The voice in the other ear said, "Oh you've launched here dozens of times, sometimes the tide was as high, though maybe not the surf, and there's a tiny patch of sand there that will probably still be there when you come in.  It's great fishing, and nothing in life is without risk; it's not real choppy out there, go for it."
   So I did, I was able to get the yak down off the stairs to the side and launch form the sand. The fishing was crap; the swells were little foothills, and I tried everything, and after a while I figured that there was no point in delaying the landing, and I might need a little extra time.  So I headed in, and stowed everything valuable and tried to time the swells, but, again, no real let up.  There was a tiny piece of sand to the side of the stairs that I aimed for, and rode a knee-high pretty well for a few seconds before the death turn and roll started.  I bailed out in thigh-high water and fell down as the kayak headed for the concrete, so I sloshed up and grabbed it on the water side, only to have another swell turn it so I was on the beach side; another wave, and I'm doing the "From Here to Eternity" roll in the sand hugging the kayak, which flipped on top of me after banging my shin pretty hard.  I finally got it under control and on my feet, dragged it up to the bit of sand, collected a few loose items like my lunch and bait coolers, then sat down on the seawall and panted for about 15 minutes. 
    It took me a good 45 minutes to get all my stuff up the ramp, and then I basically threw the kayak on the highest stair next to the railing, let it bang and scrape until I  got up above it and dragged it higher, adding some new scrapes to it.   It took me two days to get that very fine sand out of everything I was wearing.  The kayak had about a gallon of sand in the wells, and a little even got inside, though none in the reels.

That's crazy! We took one look at the water splashing on the stairs and left with our poles dry. I went for a roll in the sand about a month ago and it was no fun. Your roll above reminded me of mine - lol, I'm still finding sand here and there in all my stuff and I lost a pole. :smt010 My other reel got so much sand in it that I had to replace it. I'm glad I had the "reel" protection plan on that one because it definitely came in handy.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

For launch, I find the easiest way is to slide yak all the way down stairs as far as you can, then jump down in between breakers onto sand/boulders and then pull yak onto water when next wave comes in and then go quick...

For landing I try and bail off before bottom stair and race up onto stairs with bow line in one hand and paddle in other then pull up yak onto stairs...

Obviously avoiding the super high tides, or choosing a diff spot on those days will make your experience a little easier.

Sincerely,

Jim
Bail before bottom stair but still on concrete?  I can visualize the concept, but what a practice.  I guess my anchor trolley acts as a bowline if I unclip it, but prolly should have a separate bowline for such a moment.  Will not be practicing soon but want to fish that spot prepared and know that sometimes not going out is still an option.  Thanks for the tips ya’all!
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Sincerely,

Jim

That's the pic  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile

Sincerely,

Jim

That's the pic  :smt001

:smt005 :smt044

This is my other fave SWS beach pic...Hotplate taking a digger back in 2010...

:smt005 :smt044 :smt005

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I refuse to go to SWS on stair launch/landing days. Most people here won’t go either. The people you see saying they did are very skilled or crazy or both, and in the case of Spearfishers, just about everything he has is stored inside the kayak.

MBK is almost always easy. Have fun there lol.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
I refuse to go to SWS on stair launch/landing days. Most people here won’t go either. The people you see saying they did are very skilled or crazy or both, and in the case of Spearfishers, just about everything he has is stored inside the kayak.

MBK is almost always easy. Have fun there lol.

True!

ALL my stuff is inside my yak...

MBK is for sure a safer, more mellow launch/landing on big/high tide days...

Too bad no one ever catches any nice fish over there.....

:smt002

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/2378

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/4108

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/1376

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/2340

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/2355

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Is this a problem only for very high tides or does the beach get covered on every high tide? I'm hoping to get out there before the end of the month but it sounds like I'll have to time it right.