Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Jackson Cuda Sea Worthiness????  (Read 3519 times)

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Belive it or not I have yet to take the Jackson Cuda out into the big blue. I get a lot of questions and concerns about it not being sea worthy with the seat configuration. I know a bunch of you out there are now paddling them and have taken them to the sea. I would love for you guys to share some feedback about how you like the kayak and how it compares to other kayaks you have used.

Thanks so much. You guys are my boots on the ground so to speak.

Dan :smt006
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

LipRipper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012

:smt044

Sell me one tomorrow and Ill be all over that one  :smt003

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
There was a really good review comparison on here but I can't find it I wanna say it was stephl did it as a comment on a thread but I not sure if it was her or not :smt012

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Ha found it. Wipeout wrote it but you already commented on it. :smt001
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=40017.0

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ha found it. Wipeout wrote it but you already commented on it. :smt001
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=40017.0

Great thanks for tracking this down. I knew it was on here but I couldn't remember where. Thx
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I found this for you.
Jackson Kraken

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool vid - looks pretty ocean-worthy to me.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Great video.
Sheds a lot of light on it being an ocean worthy kayak.
Why wouldnt it be .
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I have taken my Cuda out on the ocean several times in less than ideal conditions, and it handled very well.  The Cuda feels as stable as my old Prowler 15.  The Cuda has a higher center of gravity, but it is compensated for with the added width.  The Cuda is slower than my old P15, but I have no trouble keeping up with RacinRob in his T16 on tournament mornings when we are hastily paddling to our first waypoint.  Last week I took a co-worker to Spike's Fall Classic, and had him paddle a Cuda.  It was his first time paddling on the ocean, but he was able to stick it out in the wind and chop without feeling unstable.  The boat is also comfortable to sit in for 8 hours straight.

Bottom line: I loved my P15, but I am happier in my Cuda.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
For the sake of consolidation, pulled my review from the other thread:

Salty review - hmmmmm - my names WipEouT for a reason.  A year of a dozen or so surf launches/landings equals at least a half dozen flips either coming or going (granted, I'm still a rookie and learning).  I had the pleasure of demo'ing a Cuda at Ft Ross and the launch/landing was seemless.  As a mater fo fact, on the way in I rode a wave and was in a moment of confusion as the boat stopped on the beach as the wave recessed.  Reminded me of a low rider defalting its bags and sitting on the ground.  The hull is flat, so you sit upright when beached without tilting.  On the water - another huge improvement over my OK 13 in the stability department.  The boat is slightly longer and heavier, but tracks well and is an easy paddle.  Granted, its not as fast as the OK, but after taking a dump a while back at Bodega Bay stabilty rose higher on my priority list.  The seat - goes without saying - much more comfortable.  These are stand on kayaks so the height of the seat (2-3" off the deck) is just as stable as sitting on the boat itself - and since you are off the deck, no more wet butt.  I haven't tried the seat in the high position, but given the design forsee no concern on fresh water - perhaps a little high for salt - we'll see.  The seat also keeps your knees in a bent position vs. straight out.  Probably the last point to share is how dry this boat is.  In my OK, water comes up in the front scuppers and remains.  In the Cuda, water may splash up in the scuppers but drains right out.  In the 5hrs on the water, there was never standing water on the deck.

---------

Other thoughts:

ATD did a good job of putting things into perspective.  Yes, higher center of gravity; yes - more stable platform. 

Not intended to belabor the point; however, the dump I took was the turning point for me.  After that, I went out on the OK a few times and was very unsettled and tense (yes, bad I know).  It took me 30m-45m to relax and settle.  I demo'd the Jackson and I was at ease within 5m and on my way.  The difference in hull design offers great stability and gear accessibility limited the twisting and turning necessary.

Shilo has since tried the seat in the high position at Ocean Cove.  It was a calm day and swells average - although she managed fine, putting the seat back in the low position offered more peace of mind.  I give her credit for trying, I was to chicken.  And although we will always be tempted to try the seat in the high position, I doubt that was intended or practical for salt.  I'm sure there are some more skilled rebels which will prove me wrong in time :-)

I really like my OK -- still have it; hard to let it go.  However, the reason I switched to Jackson was solely attributed to stability on the ocean.  We all have opinions, but this is my experience and preferences on the two:

Appearance - OK T13 (although Cuda colors are badass)
Stability - Cuda (salt; seat in low position - haven't tried high position)
Surf Launches - Cuda
Dryness - Cuda
Comfort - Cuda
Gear Accessibility - Cuda
Mounting Options - OK T13
Ease of Securing Poles & Paddle - Cuda
Ability to Secure FF - OK T13
Paddling - OK T13 (although the Cuda paddles well; just heavier)

Happy to clarify any of those points if anyone is interested.

Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Great video!  That guy is my hero - makes me realize I've lost my fearless edge.  Think I'll put the Coast Guard on alert next time I go out and go for it!   :smt045

At 7:05 in that video is a good example of what I was describing in my first review.  The boat lands flat - the tilt to the side you see is him jumping off.  Had he stayed in the seat the boat would come to a stop flat on the beach as the waves recede around you.  Of course, make sure you jump off before the next one comes...
Kenny

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
For the sake of consolidation, pulled my review from the other thread:

Salty review - hmmmmm - my names WipEouT for a reason.  A year of a dozen or so surf launches/landings equals at least a half dozen flips either coming or going (granted, I'm still a rookie and learning).  I had the pleasure of demo'ing a Cuda at Ft Ross and the launch/landing was seemless.  As a mater fo fact, on the way in I rode a wave and was in a moment of confusion as the boat stopped on the beach as the wave recessed.  Reminded me of a low rider defalting its bags and sitting on the ground.  The hull is flat, so you sit upright when beached without tilting.  On the water - another huge improvement over my OK 13 in the stability department.  The boat is slightly longer and heavier, but tracks well and is an easy paddle.  Granted, its not as fast as the OK, but after taking a dump a while back at Bodega Bay stabilty rose higher on my priority list.  The seat - goes without saying - much more comfortable.  These are stand on kayaks so the height of the seat (2-3" off the deck) is just as stable as sitting on the boat itself - and since you are off the deck, no more wet butt.  I haven't tried the seat in the high position, but given the design forsee no concern on fresh water - perhaps a little high for salt - we'll see.  The seat also keeps your knees in a bent position vs. straight out.  Probably the last point to share is how dry this boat is.  In my OK, water comes up in the front scuppers and remains.  In the Cuda, water may splash up in the scuppers but drains right out.  In the 5hrs on the water, there was never standing water on the deck.

---------

Other thoughts:

ATD did a good job of putting things into perspective.  Yes, higher center of gravity; yes - more stable platform. 

Not intended to belabor the point; however, the dump I took was the turning point for me.  After that, I went out on the OK a few times and was very unsettled and tense (yes, bad I know).  It took me 30m-45m to relax and settle.  I demo'd the Jackson and I was at ease within 5m and on my way.  The difference in hull design offers great stability and gear accessibility limited the twisting and turning necessary.

Shilo has since tried the seat in the high position at Ocean Cove.  It was a calm day and swells average - although she managed fine, putting the seat back in the low position offered more peace of mind.  I give her credit for trying, I was to chicken.  And although we will always be tempted to try the seat in the high position, I doubt that was intended or practical for salt.  I'm sure there are some more skilled rebels which will prove me wrong in time :-)

I really like my OK -- still have it; hard to let it go.  However, the reason I switched to Jackson was solely attributed to stability on the ocean.  We all have opinions, but this is my experience and preferences on the two:

Appearance - OK T13 (although Cuda colors are badass)
Stability - Cuda (salt; seat in low position - haven't tried high position)
Surf Launches - Cuda
Dryness - Cuda
Comfort - Cuda
Gear Accessibility - Cuda
Mounting Options - OK T13
Ease of Securing Poles & Paddle - Cuda
Ability to Secure FF - OK T13
Paddling - OK T13 (although the Cuda paddles well; just heavier)

Happy to clarify any of those points if anyone is interested.

+1 on the compairson. OK T13 is an awesome all around yak. I'm gonna miss mine.
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

anything