Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:06:44 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GET YOURSELF CHECKED!!!  (Read 65132 times)

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Bump!  Check Everything!. I got into a police academy when I was 26 and passed all of the tests, got hired by San Francisco, and just needed to have a physical. Something on my right testicle felt....different. As I was having a physical anyways I asked the doctor who recommended an ultrasound. That was on a Thursday, by the following Tuesday I was in Surgery with stage 2 Testicular cancer. My homie has a little more room to roam now, but at least I'm not dead. Went through a round of chemo and had to freeze some of the "boys" just in case. I am now 30 and I still have to go in regularly for xrays to ensure everything is good. There are some strange lumps in my right lung, but they appear to be benign. I wouldn't have gone to the doctor if I didn't have a physical schedule already. I don't care what you feel about religion, that was a higher power putting me in a situation that forced me to get checked out. Cancer aint just for old men, check your junk fellas
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
EYIKES !!!

I just seen this Bro. Glad you got it taken care of. 3rd pic was cool.  :smt003

Glad to hear yours has not returned N.W.   I remember when you posted that.

I get to schedule a colonoscopy test. Will be my second one. UGH ! My first was a nice Indian lady Dr. She kissed me on the cheek before she put me out .  :smt003

Another prevention test that should ( unfortunately ) be done. Starting at age 50.

Glad you guys are doing well.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Thanks Dustin for the reminder. This is especially relevant to us fishermen. Where sometimes the only thing exposed OTW is our nose.  My Dad had this. They would take out a chunk. He had to wait while they checked. They did this 4-5 times. One side of his nose now looks like a zig zag. You're lucky to have caught it early
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Saw dermatologist yesterday. 
Dx, "None of your moles are a concern.  Your skin type and condition, no way you will get skin cancer." 
I said, "I'm a lawyer, can I get that in writing, in your clinical notes?" 
"Oh, actually, here are the five areas that you want to watch carefully."

:smt005 :smt011 :jerk:

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
The news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide made me think about this thread....

I think we often talk just about the importance of our physical health, but mental health is just (if not more) important...

I am 100% positive that there are people on here that have struggled or are struggling with depression, anxiety, addiction and more...including myself.

You never know what battles someone else is fighting...especially just from seeing their "online persona".

If you need help, ask for it...

I've been lucky that when I needed help at some of my darkest moments I have been able to ask for it from members on here and they were 1000% there for me.

If you are struggling just know you are not alone, and that there are people out there who love you...and there are resources out there that can literally save your life.

Don't be afraid to reach out, and don't give up...

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
The news of Anthony Bourdain's suicide made me think about this thread....

I think we often talk just about the importance of our physical health, but mental health is just (if not more) important...

I am 100% positive that there are people on here that have struggled or are struggling with depression, anxiety, addiction and more...including myself.

You never know what battles someone else is fighting...especially just from seeing their "online persona".

If you need help, ask for it...

I've been lucky that when I needed help at some of my darkest moments I have been able to ask for it from members on here and they were 1000% there for me.

If you are struggling just know you are not alone, and that there are people out there who love you...and there are resources out there that can literally save your life.

Don't be afraid to reach out, and don't give up...

Sincerely,

Jim

What a legit post, Jim. I completely concur. As a 30yo with a past much gnarlier than most could imagine, it was only by the love of those around me that helped get me back on my feet. I am 8 years on a better road now.

If anyone wants someone to talk to or seek advice about someone they love who is struggling, PM me.

Much Love!

Eric
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

yatzmail@yahoo.com

I’m starting to think if diving is safe at all since you both do it :smt044

Great reminder and thanks for sharing  :smt007
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:05:06 PM by yatzmail »

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
This thread has been dormant too long,

Last week I saw the dermatologist for a couple spots, I was on a watch anyhow due to a previous melanoma. 

She did 2 biopsies, the one I was concerned about came back negative and the second came back as a new melanoma. Completely superficial (in situ) considered 0 stage as early as it gets, I'll need to get it cut out with a generous margin but should have a 95% chance of no recurrence.

Just another reminder..........

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
This thread has been dormant too long,

Last week I saw the dermatologist for a couple spots, I was on a watch anyhow due to a previous melanoma. 

She did 2 biopsies, the one I was concerned about came back negative and the second came back as a new melanoma. Completely superficial (in situ) considered 0 stage as early as it gets, I'll need to get it cut out with a generous margin but should have a 95% chance of no recurrence.

Just another reminder..........

Glad to hear that you were on top of things Dale  :smt001 and thanks for reposting....
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Thanks for the reminder.

Best wishes Dale.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
This thread has been dormant too long, ...

Definitely so. And glad to hear that the caught that new one so early.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile

Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Desertdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Long story, short version.  Referred to Dermatologist due to allergic reaction, Hmmm she says , suspicious spot on nose... lucky me  biopsy showed Basil cell (could have been worse),... MOHS procedure.. you'll feel a little pinch she says....Damn Right for 3 days.. :smt091 and some discomfort for 7 -10 days...  :smt103.  26 stitches removed tues and can finally wear my  cheap sunglasses  :glasses9: Will try on dive mask next week. Yes Dear... I will Wear my Hat, Sunscreen, and facial condom from now on when out on the water... :smt075 OK ...when ever I am outside.   Will see ya on the water and in the water soon. Stay Safe and Have Fun All.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
So glad you caught it in time Russ.

Glad you’re on the mend brother  :smt001

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... suspicious spot on nose.... MOHS procedure.. 26 stitches

That must've been one impressive "spot". Glad to hear that it was basil cell--if you have to have something skin-cancer-wise, that's the one to have.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a