Dive Zone > Kayak Diving and Spearfishing

Dive Knives - What do you carry? Recommendations

(1/3) > >>

OVillanueva:
So I'm in the market for a proper dive knife but there are so many choices. What make/model do you guys take out with you?

rob102:
I’m assuming you plan on diving or you wouldn’t be asking for a dive knife.

Any of the squeeze knives work great for braining fish. I wear mine horizontally on my belt so it doesn’t poke me in the stomach. Other guys wear them on a forearm or even on a life jacket. Like the name says, you have to squeeze it to release it from its scabbard.  I also run a loop of bungee from the handle to loop down over the point of the scabbard as a little extra insurance against loss while diving.  You can find them on any dive shop website from $25-$75.

On the other hand, if this is a knife for cutting bait and cleaning fish, etc. on the kayak, I’m sure there are better choices and the HnL guys here will give you the best advice.

DG:
A cheap stainless knife is probably the best.  I break or lose knives so don’t go to expensive.  If you are going to kill the fish with it a sharp knife with a point is good. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilderness medic:
Anything that’s easily accessible. I haven’t brained fish in years. Cut the gills and bleed them out. Better meat, and you won’t end up in the hospital getting stitches from slipping. The main purpose is for safety and entanglements. Surgical scissors work.

If you’re hell  bent on braining fish sharpen a Phillips screwdriver so you don’t hurt yourself.

Road Runner:
I like this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00788U7QO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WAC99VC7EUQE&colid=37FRJ50HDT4F9

Any dive knife that is relatively small and compact will work. I rig this one with a landyard and hook the landyard on the bottom of the sheath.

I'd say go as cheap and as compact as possible .. a dive knife is easy to lose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version