Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Raptor SOT setups and goodies  (Read 26907 times)

RUDEDOG

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
I have a Raptor SOT and I absolutely love it!!!!! I have been curious to see how some have rigged their yak.  I just don't want to drill holes in my yak and then find that there were better ways to set it up :smt013 . I installed a fishfinder (lowrance 4) in the center storage compartment between the legs. I did this so I could put the cover over it when the FF is not in use.   To my dismay, every time I paddle it dumps water all over it.  So now I'm going to get Baitman's brilliant storage extender and put the FF somewhere else in the yak. Any advice on rigging and or pics would be awesome! Thanks for all your help!
Its Not Easy Being Cheesy!

Need2hav

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Hey Rudedog, We're in the same boat (literally). I bought my sot Raptor from Jim about 3 weeks ago. Getting a Lowrance too. I've decided to mount my ff right behind the bow storage cover. I'll be mounting an 8 inch rail on the angled flat portion of the yak between the foot peg area. Then with various yak parts, I'll mount the Lowrance on the rail. It will come with a long arm (8 inches) so I can pull it in closer to me when I need to and move it forward way outta my way whenever I see fit. No pics yet as I just ordered the parts today. Haven't decided on the transducer mount yet. I can rig something temporary until I decide on a permanent solution. I may install it in-hull but there is good and bad with that. Let me know what you decide. I'm curious.

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
this is what i did when i had a raptor.

i used a scotty rod holder mount and placed it in the middle. it worked but sometimes i would knock on it with my paddle when i'm paddling.

Need2hav

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Lol! I scrolled around and see ff installs for this type kayak has already been posted :)

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
     Rudedog,,,     
     Water won't hurt your FF.    Do you have drip rings on your paddle?  Those help.
 What FF do you haVe?      Bring it down to my shop in Watsonville some time.     We offer a variety of rigging services.     We now have Keel Easy available.  I can install it while you relax and drink a beer. :smt002 
     I will also be bringing in some Yak Attack products in the near future. 
    If you're on Facebook,  Join our Raptor Owners Group.   You'll see what others are doing to rig their Raptors.
 Jim

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

chaeki

• Sea Lion
  • Archer, Fisher, Diver, Shooter, Babysitter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I did the same with the fish finder in center, the yakattack stuff fits perfectly.
http://m.imgur.com/a/96EQp

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  Nice Link  Chuck ! 
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Need2hav

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Chuck, I'm looking for some of the parts you used to install your ff. You mind sharing how to get those black round connectors you are using to pass the wiring thru your yak hull?  I saw a white clamshell one but I'd prefer the color and style you have. Looks less bulky. Also, the connector you are using to run your power wires thru your battery box.

Thanks,
Mondo

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Chuck, I'm looking for some of the parts you used to install your ff. You mind sharing how to get those black round connectors you are using to pass the wiring thru your yak hull?  I saw a white clamshell one but I'd prefer the color and style you have. Looks less bulky. Also, the connector you are using to run your power wires thru your battery box.

Thanks,
Mondo

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--two-hole-wire-caps--P003_094_010_501 black or white.

Although I prefer the hobie ones a little better, more expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/12509/Hobie-Thru-Hull-Wiring-Kit.html

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

Thanks,
Mondo

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--two-hole-wire-caps--P003_094_010_501 black or white.

Although I prefer the hobie ones a little better, more expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/12509/Hobie-Thru-Hull-Wiring-Kit.html
+1 on the Hobie ones but I too have used the West Marine ones.  Like the Hobie MUCH better though.  I think Headwaters stocks them too (locally).

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I've gotta swing by the new shop one of the lunch hours Jim!  I've been RIGHT THERE several times this week (over at Mercury Metals, Fastnel or Praxair) & forgot to drop by.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've gotta swing by the new shop one of the lunch hours Jim!  I've been RIGHT THERE several times this week (over at Mercury Metals, Fastnel or Praxair) & forgot to drop by.

381 Pine ST     Stop by after work Bill.     I'm usually there till 6.

Re Thru hulls.       West Marine is only $ 6.99    VS  17.99 for the Hobie ones.     
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile

381 Pine ST     Stop by after work Bill.     I'm usually there till 6.

Re Thru hulls.       West Marine is only $ 6.99    VS  17.99 for the Hobie ones.   
Yes, the WM ones are quite a bit cheaper.  The Hobie ones have nice sealing inserts for a variety of wire sizes AND include a blank (block off) plug in the event you remove your electronics but leave the wire seal behind.  The Hobie ones include 2 feedthru's in a pack though so it's only $4 difference.  The only issue I've had with the W.M ones is the tiny screws used to secure them are awfully close to the edge of the hole drilled to feed the neck of the clamshell thru & often the screws break thru the edge of the main hole if one is not very careful.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
yeah, there is a price difference, but since the hobies come in two packs, its not that much more.  worth the extra $2 each for the rubber fittings.  easy to remove and adjust if you have new wiring.  Honestly I'm surprised no one else makes a similar one for cheaper.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
And actually, the plug itself is cheaper - $5 or so.  The increased cost is for the rubber inserts in the kit.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/13012/Hobie-Thru-Hull-Plug.html

anything