Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ? Hobie Oufitter: Is it practical for newbie fisherman  (Read 3296 times)

rwt

Hello,
Fairly new to kayaks.  Have very litlle balance and agility due to an auto accident.  Would like to do a little fishing in nearby lakes, slough, and ocean (live in Prunedale).  Using the 'sidekick' on the outfitter should solve the stabiliy problem. :fish  Does anyone use the Outfitter and are there other problems that will be encountered and should be considered at this time? ken   klb1@isp.com

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
The sidekick amas will make that yak rock solid. It's pretty solid by itself. The only thing to watch out for with used Hobie's is the one's made before 2005. Some of them develop stress cracks in the well where the Mirage drive mounts. But if you find one with cracks and don't mind a little work, talk the guy down on price and go to Hobie because they sell a patch kit especially for it.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Frankfishing

I have the outfitter and as far as stability I highly recommend it. What Zeelander said about the crack sympton with the 2005 is true however they say they have rectified the situation with longer screws in the new model. I have had a problem with mine but have a new Kayak coming in to replace my old one. They do have a good warranty which I understand if you ever decide to sell the Hobie the warranty is tranferrable each having it's own Serial#.
Recently took my outfitter out of Moss Landing w/ my wife (Tandem) and your in the ideal area for this Kayak weather you deside to go up the Elkhorn slough or into Monterey Bay.
Frankfishing

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You can check with Hobie, but I believe the full warranty is 4 years (pro-rated 6 years).  Hobie stands behind their products.  Everyone I know who's had a problem got their boat fixed or replaced for free with minimum hassle.

As with relatively new model boats, there will be bugs.  I'm impressed with how fast Hobie's design engineers implement improvements.

I just wished Ocean Kayak and others kayak mfrs would do the same.

Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

rwt

Hello All,

Ended up with a Outback Fish which seems to have good secondary stability.  The primary would probably be OK if my weight was greater.  Transporting the yak on top of my camper shell turned out to be quite difficult when you are by yourself.  The rudder drags the ground when you get the front end high enough to get on the camper shell. The solution was quite simple: open the tailgate and put it inside the camper shell.  There is a small  annoying problem with the cart coming out of the scupper holes at an inappropriate time.  Should be a simple fix.

Frankfishing, how does the Outfitter handle in the surf?  My only experience to now has been in Elkhorn Slough launching from Kirby park.

Chuck, seem to have a problem holding the yak if not at the center or ends. Would you recommend mounting rigid or flexible hand grips at the needed places?

thanks                  rwt

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hello All,

Ended up with a Outback Fish which seems to have good secondary stability.  The primary would probably be OK if my weight was greater.  Transporting the yak on top of my camper shell turned out to be quite difficult when you are by yourself.  The rudder drags the ground when you get the front end high enough to get on the camper shell. The solution was quite simple: open the tailgate and put it inside the camper shell.  There is a small  annoying problem with the cart coming out of the scupper holes at an inappropriate time.  Should be a simple fix.

Frankfishing, how does the Outfitter handle in the surf?  My only experience to now has been in Elkhorn Slough launching from Kirby park.

Chuck, seem to have a problem holding the yak if not at the center or ends. Would you recommend mounting rigid or flexible hand grips at the needed places?

thanks                  rwt
The Outback is a good all around boat.  The only problem is the weight and bulk which makes solo car topping very tough.  I learned to do it, but it usually made more sense to just drop the tailgate on the 4runner and push it in.  I used a bungie to keep the scupper cart in place while pulling the yak out of the truck.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend additional handles.  I don't think it will help much.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Frankfishing

I'm with Chuck on the handles.I also reinforced the bow and stern handles by taking them apart and using washers to help reinforce the rope handle knot.
 I have since gotten a Revolution and traded in the Outfitter (see "Humbled by god's creation Bean Hallow") which had some major Mfr defects.Also have resolved a couple of issues with my new Kayak to make it safer.Am still looking at other Kayaks for  surf launch and ocean fishing. Just found the peddle system to get in the way when going through the kelp and usually leave them in my truck when on the ocean.

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
My Outback is a lead sled, but I like it. I'm such a cluts, I need the stability of a heavy boat. I was standing up in it today and it was solid in the water. I should have fallen out as clumsy as I am, but didn't. I can load it by myself on the top of my Dakota, but I have to get on the top to turn it over. Scary,but doable.  I also took the drive out and paddled it around and with the rudder out of the water, and it handles well
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
  I would recommend to you, if your hull has the "Knot tied" handles to modify them so the handle cannot come off the hull as mine did last week preparing for "Chillin-at Del Valle" Snapped my rudder in half as it slammed into a unyielding (Large) fur tree.
  The handles I have are simply a hollow plastic tube,with a hole drilled into only one side (not completely through the tube) then the rope,  both ends tied to form a large knot.  This knot's diameter is larger than the opening in the tube, therefore can't easily pass through it.  Unless the knot comes free! or too much pull on handle squeezes knot out. (What happened in my case)
  Now, I fixed both my handles rather quickly with what I had at the moment which was SS allen cap screws 1 1/4" long. I removed the eyelet on the hull freeing up the handle, removed the covers, then removed the rope enough to expose the knot and then inserted the SS cap screw into the tube through the rope (below the knot) then when I pulled the rope back out through the tubes hole, the SS cap screw sits between the knot and the hole.  Are the SS cap screws the best item for this fix? probably not due to the threads of the screw, but I don't have steel rod on hand,and didn't want to spend time cutting it to length sanding edged etc.. These screws were handy and quick.
  What I should have done then, but will do later, is to take a small lighter or torch and heat the knot (Melt the ends together) so it cannot separate.

Welcome to the madness!

Troy

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade