Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 3 month Outback review  (Read 4235 times)

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I've fished/pedaled/paddled my Outback about 25 plus times now so here's my Outback review to anyone who's interested.

First, this is my first yak and never was into paddling or pedaling either way. What I thought the beauty about the Hobie set up is that it could be so many things. The pedaler, paddler, sailer, and fisherman. And since it's a "Jack Of All Trades" I knew there had to be a trade off since it wouldn't be a "master of any." But that's what seemed so great about it, versatility.

When I first got it I only pedaled and right away felt like it was easy to get up to speed and tour anywhere. Once I got into some rough seas I found it didn't handle too well but have no real comparison since I have no other kayak experience. But, with a little work I got through the conditions and had a great time. I also really doubt that any other kayak would have flown through those conditions either. :smt009

I have fished with other people in conventional kayaks and havn't really noticed any drawbacks to the Outback. Even paddling I could keep up with others, not very easily, but again, this is a multi tasker and not a paddler. Even cooler when I was peddaling with them I could cruise more easily at the same speed while having a snack or drink of water. Trolling was the best since I could hold the rod while pedaling and have the chance to set the hook right when the fish would bite. Also covering large distances while pedaling was a snap. I could do about 8 miles without really being tired at all.

I also really have come to like paddling. I go to lakes just to paddle, it's a great workout. I pull the Mirage drive, put in the plug to fill the Mirage drive hole, lower the rudder and paddle off. I've done many miles and found that you can either pull the drive or push one pedal all the way forward, and drop the rudder dead center and it paddles quite well. I've found that since the rudder doesn't always pull up fully it can touch the water and turn you.

So overall I think it's proven itself very well. It pedals like a machine, paddles pretty well, fishes like a champ, and have yet to sail it so will get back to that. But for someone who'd like to fish AND do other stuff too, it's a champ.

I've pimped the Outback with all the fishing gear and will post pics soon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:43:16 PM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
Here's the pics of my "primped out" ride. As you can tell I believe in the simpler is better philosophy.

* Plano water tight box w/ ABS tube rod holders.
  (Plano water tight flat lure boxes inside w/ other gear)
* Ram Rod holder
* Ram Rod FF mini mount
* Eagle Cuda 250 s/map FF
  (12V battery, Dry Box - Underwater Kinetics, gooped down transducer)
* Pool noodle floatation throughout interior gunwales
* ZLNDR Grafix  :headbang:

Thinking about adding the insulated fish bag that Great White kayaks carries. Would probably fit perfectly in the front tankwell or on top of it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:34:21 PM by Zeelander »
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Orion Coolers

rwt

Thanks for the review.  Looking at the Outfitter.  Almost the same! ken

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
Yep. I also heard that the Outfitter does really well with one person too. You just throw all your stuff in front of you instead of inback.

Z
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Orion Coolers

rwt

Hi Zeelander,

Ended up with Outback Fish 2005 model.  The underdeck storage is a little different and mine is a dull green.  Do not know a great deal about map/fish/depth finders.  Does the  Eagle Cuda 250 s/map FF work OK for you?  Have you encountered any problems with it? How large of a battery does it use?  What is the ZLNDR?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Just trying to learn.

rwt

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
What kind of paint did you use for the graphics? How well does it 'stick'?
<=>

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
What kind of paint did you use for the graphics? How well does it 'stick'?

I used a Sakura paint pen. It actually didn't stick too well so I put on a bunch of thin coats of clear spray paint over it. It's worked for about 4 months although does scratch. It's in a spot that doesn't really get hit by much so it's staying for a while.

I am thinking of a new way though. Using some airbrush frisket (a big clear sticker) then cutting out the design with an Xacto knife and making a large stencil. Pretty much how they make all the desgins on custom bikes and cars. Then spraying some Krylon plastic paint on top. I heard it really adheres well and doesn't really scratch. That might be the best way to go.

If you're gonna try it let me know and I can walk you through it.
Z
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:40:27 AM by Zeelander »
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Orion Coolers