Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:02:47 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Replacing the rudder control lines?  (Read 5322 times)

MBYakker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
So - after a brief (less than 2yrs) love affair with my Hobie revolution, the honeymoon is over.  The rudder control line snapped on me, resulting in an uberlame paddle home (revolution paddles remarkably like a bathtub)  :smt013

Have any of you tried replacing your rudder control lines?  I managed to find a faq on the hobie site but it looks like a major PITA. 

About a year ago, the up/down rudder deployment stopped working . .but I've been limping along doing it by hand because the replacement looks like such a pain.  Now I suppose it's unavoidable . .although some of the new cobras are lookin sweet!

Fishing is cool

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
How much ya want for the Revolution?????  :smt003
<=>

MBYakker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
How much ya want for the Revolution?????  :smt003

I don't know . .it was one of the first ones out (so there are diff between the new model rudder and this one) and it really is/has been quite the lemon . . .I dont think it's worth much nor would I feel right about selling it to another board member . . .

I will probably try to find a shop that can repair it and see how much they want before I do anything else.
Fishing is cool

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
resulting in an uberlame paddle home (revolution paddles remarkably like a bathtub)  :smt013

Apparently you've never tried to paddle the Outback..  :smt003

Have any of you tried replacing your rudder control lines?  I managed to find a faq on the hobie site but it looks like a major PITA. 

You know, that's the first time I've ever heard of that problem. Hobie's aren't a standard rubber duckie of a kayak, it's got moving parts so IMO that's part of owning one. Is this the manual you found on the Hobie site? http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/80018.pdf Just my opinion but it doesn't look too crazy to fix.

Sounds like you really liked that yak so before you go and sell it you might want to give it a hail mary shot. And if not, Tote's the man you should sell it to. He'll put it to good fish slaying use.

Z
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:06:16 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks for posting that Z,  I've been waiting for this hang up to Happen...
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

MBYakker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You know, that's the first time I've ever heard of that problem. Hobie's aren't a standard rubber duckie of a kayak, it's got moving parts so IMO that's part of owning one. Is this the manual you found on the Hobie site? http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/80018.pdf Just my opinion but it doesn't look too crazy to fix.

Sounds like you really liked that yak so before you go and sell it you might want to give it a hail mary shot. And if not, Tote's the man you should sell it to. He'll put it to good fish slaying use.

Z

Yeah - I did find that manual . .but thats a different rudder system than what is installed in my revolution.  I'm speculating that is because they have since redesigned it since I bought one of the first Revolutions out . . but I don't really know.  That is a very diff looking assembly in the video, though.

I did like it when it was working well which is why, if I can get it fixed for less than maybe $200 I'll give it a go.

Yeah - as far as moving parts go I've tried to stay on top of that . . keeping the drive system clean and making sure to rinse well after use (it only saw salt water twice).  It looks like the cable was frayed against the plastic and metal housing (the plastic part has a pretty deep groove worn in it). 

I didn't even really get much opportunity to use it . . I've had it 2 years but I estimate it has been used about 12 times.

Fishing is cool

troller

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
if you have the old plastic type of line , your hobie dealer should be able to replace with spectra line    its really easy to do  plus have them check out your up/down system also   the revs are notorious for get the line tangled when flipping upside down and back

P.S.   mention that you are a norcal member at windtoys and they will take care of you
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:12:57 AM by troller »

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I replaced my rudder controls on my older outback, it was the flip up model, not flip and stow.  it wasn't too bad, just took time.  just tie the lines with as much tension on the lines as you can, then fine tune with the interior zip ties and shockcord.

like i said, took a bit of time, too much in fact, that when i had to replace a snapped rudder on my mirage tandem, i just had Mel Cotton's do it.  The manager did it for the replacement parts costs/ no labor.

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Not a Hobie, and maybe the only useful info for you in the following post is that I bought some nylon coated stainless steel fishing line at West and made my own control lines using the sweges (crimps) they also sell. They have a crimping tool for sale, but I just used the wire cutter part of my vice grips.  The stuff is 170 lb test, and it has held up well over the last year or so of use.  It's Sevalon , nylon covered, kink resistant, slides easily over the plastic.  Just remember to note how long things are before you remove any parts so you can get it the right length.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,10627.0.html