Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Outback Defects?  (Read 6894 times)

sigelvictory

• Sea Lion
  • ahem, did you not get the memo?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
First, i did not mean to imply that my hobie has defects... it is still very new to me, but it seems to be perfect... Im a picky person and have spent a lot of time looking it over and havnt found any issues with it to this point... the hull seems uniformly thick.  The scuppers are fine.  I think one issue with the peddle thing is, any time you add complication to something.. it is more likely something can go wrong... MORE STUFF= MORE STUFF THAT CAN BREAK.  That philosophy applies to most anything, and it is the price to be paid for progress.  As far as paddling skills, im not sure they can help much on the outback... it is really just too damn wide to be paddled efficiently... of course the more skilled you are the better you could do... to the point allowed by physics anyway.  When I load my outback up, i really do put a lot of pressure on my ratchet straps as i always worry it will fall out on the freeway.  Ive never seen any distortion, and believe me, I LOOK.. check, re-check, and check again.  I got mine from Windtoys in santa rosa.. they told me about the NCKA and seem like great people... (free extionsion of the warranty from 2 years to 5)  Hyrdospider: your experience really did suck, im in retail sales and pride myself on being the customers friend, good times and bad.  Your outfitter is an @ss, plain and simple.  The hobies seem to be a work in progress... the longer they build the mirage drive kayaks the better they will get... at least i hope!  I think the lesson to take from this is baby your hobie... they need more TLC than the other kayaks out there as the plastic is somewhat softer than some others... I think that may be somewhat by design.. the soft plastic flexes to keep it from snapping under the added pressure of the peddle system.  Oh well, to each his own... whatever floats your boat.. hopefully :smt002

side note: in my research previous to buying, I got immpression that the hobies got redesigned hulls starting in '07, and all the problems we hear about seem to be previous to that.. of course maybe the '07's havent had time to fail yet... my fingers are crossed!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:31:38 PM by sigelvictory »
Never trust a man that doesnt like to fish...

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Yea! got my brand new replacement hull today just before the storm hit!
Here she is just unloaded from truck.

This is the sail mast tube.   The surface is clean, but below, looks like the tube was pushed
through.  I'll check the seal out prior to using on water.

The scupper holes are uniform.

Let the pimping begin!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:14:08 PM by jprtroy »

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Troy, right behind the seat, is there a depression in the tank well?  I ask because on Hoble's webpage, they have a picture of an OB with the depression for a cooler.  I thought that they had done away with this but was wondering if they brought it back.  Either that or they haven't updated the picture of the OB in awhile.  Just curious.

Michael

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have never play on key.

Salty Dick.  Google.

I'm confused? :smt017

Michael

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Micheal;

I don't know about the Outback, but the '07 Sport seems to be designed to exactly fit an Igloo Marine cooler right behind the seat, and there is also the standard slight depression for a 5 gallon bucket. All very convenient.

Troy; Great to see your new OB!  Thanks for the pics.

SigelVictory; I completely agree, and I really don't find the maintenance on the mirage drive to be a problem.  Just rinse and shoot the metal parts with WD40 to displace any water/salt.  Takes about a minute. No biggy.

-Matt

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Don't know much about the mirage drives but I was advised not to use WD40 on my bike parts. WD40 is a solvent that will remove all of the protective oils.It will leave behind another protective oil but it is one that isn't that good and will only serve to dilute the lubrication you should add after cleaning anyway. I use Tri Flow now.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
WD40 is a solvent that will remove all of the protective oils.  It will leave behind another protective oil but it is one that isn't that good and will only serve to dilute the lubrication you should add after cleaning anyway.

That was a concern of mine but the instructions clearly say to rinse the drive after using in dirty or salty water and then spray with WD-40.  Was wondering what others do.

Michael

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Mickfish and Micheal,

I asked Hobie about why they recommend WD40 on the metal parts of the drive, as I was afraid it would harm the plastic and rubber parts.  They say it's because the WD40 displaces water in the chains, etc.  Just to be sure, I first rinse with fresh water, use WD40, then wipe and lightly rinse again, and let dry.

If Tri Flow displaces water, then I may switch to that.  Which of the Tri Flow products are you using?  http://www.triflowlubricants.com/

(Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's an important maintenance subject for Hobies.)  -Matt

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Dilbeck, 

There is no depression, other than the "pickup style" back deck now.  The hole for the cooler is gone! 

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade