Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:23:23 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 08:10:36 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Del Valle trip did my OB in  (Read 4259 times)

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
  Been debating with myself over the nice little hole that was discovered in my OB's drive well after 1st annual Chillin at Del valle trip back in Oct.  the debate is/was to get the hull replaced?  Well I was thinking, I've got my FF installed, lots on cool stickers affixed, the hull was reinforced when I got it home from local dealer with hot glue, long before Hobie offered the repair kit, (Which I got in the mail sometime middle of 07') 
  The hull didin't leak, but I can see the hot glue from outside the hull looking into the drive well.  I'm pretty sure it will contune to be water tight, but my concern is with the hole starting to travel lattterally left or right, outside the reinforcement I laid inside.
  Just spoke to local guy about maybe getting it replaced.  I'll be taking pictures and sending them to him, he'll look at them, then send them off to Hobie for recommendation.

Guess I'll have to pull my extended drive bolts, the FF, my anchor trolly, handles, (As I've modified them) and bungis  Hope I have duals of all the stickers I put on it?

I'll wait to see what Jeremy says about replacement befor I go and remove all.

Troy

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

CGN-38

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Update:  Looks like I'm getting a new hull.  Just spoke to my local dealer and he got the warranty claim started.  My new 08 OB hull should arrive at his shop around the 15th Feb.
  Time to start stripping all my stuff off my old hull now.   Geez now I gota go through installing my FF again. 

Time to order the RAM mount for my Eagle cuda 240!  I like how it look much better than the way I've installed my FF on my last 2 hulls!

Troy

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
on my last 2 hulls!

Sheesh, you go through these things like they're candy! :smt044   :smt002   JUST KIDDING!  I'm guessing that both of them weren't Hobies. 

It's nice to see that they are taking care of you.  Way to go on their part!  :smt023   Makes me feel good should I have any problems.

Michael

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Well Troy, your suffering is enjoyably enviable. Ya got to love Hobies' customer relations.  In outfitting your new hull, as you know, just put the FF exactly where you want it and the rest will follow.

About the stickers.  Try slowly carefully heating and peeling them with a hair-blowdryer on a GFCI outlet, and keep an ice cube handy if you burn your fingernails.

Congrats!  What color new hull and is it a new '08?

CGN-38

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Yes both (current hull to be replaced) hulls were Hobie OB's.  the first one was an 04' model.  It developed the dreaded drive well crack after only a few uses.  It was replaced with a same year model, but the driver of the truck that delivered it to our local dealer, shoved the hull from off the top of the pile of kayaks he had on his truck to delivered that day befor Jeremy (local dealer) could get out to help unload them.  Jeremy watched in horor as my replacement hull hit the pavement hard and split open!  The aft end where the rudder mounts, the seam opened up 1/2 in by 5 inches across!
  Shipping company ate the cost of that hull.  My current hull is an 05' modle and it lasted a good 2 years.  Yes Hobie is a very good company when it comes to their warranty issues!
   I shouldn't have any hull cracking problems with the newest hull.  I got a chance to look at one on display at the ISE and the "Crack prone area"
has been addressed!
  "Third tims a charm" I've heard many say.

Troy

P.S. I just ordered the ram mount for my eagle 240 from Hook1 (below)

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=125

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I look forward to seeing the new OB pimped and ready to roll ... er ... float.  I'd love to have my second yak be an OB.

Michael

CGN-38

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  Well, as long as nothing happens in the shipping, It should arrive Feb 15th (ish) I'll probably set up to get it Saturday if Jeremy is available.   I ordered a RAM mount for my FF from Hook1, (Dropped Mooch's name)I still need a scotty rod holder extender, and then look at possibly installing my small scotty downrigger. (Tired of not getting down deep!)
   Read a post on the Hobie forum that one can use the sailing rudder on the OB's so I might see about getting one of them if there not to pricey. 

Troy

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Troy, Thanks for supporting Hook1 - I know they are not local but they do support our site by donating prizes to all our NCKA kayak fishing tournaments (Past and present). Support those who support us  :smt045  :smt023

CGN-38

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  Mooch,

I got a coupon from them for my next order, I'll be ordering again. (Have my wish list generated!)

Troy

anything