Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Matt's Rigged Hobie Sport  (Read 6023 times)

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Necessity is the mother of invention, and one thing leads to another.

The evolution of rigging my Hobie Sport all started when I flipped at Van Damme in November, with only a 3 mil wetsuit (and PFD of course).  What happened was my Mirage fins were caught in seaweed, and I was broadsided by a swell and...Splash.   Brrr.

So I thought about outriggers.  I looked at market outriggers like the Hobie inflatable “Sidekick” and the ram ball / lobster float system, both of which work fine from all the reports I’ve read, but I also wanted to carry four crab rings and have some extra deck space within easy reach.

So I designed and built a framework out of pvc plastic pipe, with lobster float pontoons. It is light weight and sturdy and is padded with pipe insulation wherever it contacts the kayak or the truck when in transit, and straps onto the kayak with the standard Hobie bungee.  Two thin sheets of plywood make the side decks to hold the crab rings. It doesn’t interfere with the rudder, rod holders, or scupper drains, and the crab rings lock right into the frame. 

It does interfere a little with the rear of the paddling stroke, but not too much, and more often than not I use the pedals and sail now anyway.  The pontoons just skim the surface of the water and don’t seem to slow the boat down. I stood up and rocked side to side and it’s very stable. I took it crabbing and it worked like a charm, very easy and ergonomic, and no danger of flipping while hauling up the crab rings.

Then I realized that I could now use the Hobie Sail comfortably.  So yesterday Dave/Pescadore (pictured, with his trusty companion, Yoshi) and I took it out for a trail sail.  It was FUN!  Finally, I installed the sonar and the safety flag.  The flagpole is a $12. telescopic rod.

Now I’m looking forward to Salmon season.  I’m not sure how well the outriggers will work in larger swells, and will only go out on calm days, with a group of friends, a full 7mm suit and probably a small Zodiac as a “mother ship” for added offshore safety.   My real interest now is will it sail okay on the ocean, so that I can troll for salmon while sailing.

I should explain that when I say “no danger of flipping” that I now always prepare to get immersed, because one never knows, does one?  Anyway, I’m really happy with the whole rig.  I don’t know if one can call her a “kayak” anymore, but it sure is fun and versatile.  -Matt in Mendocino
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:14:59 PM by HobieSport »

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Interesting set up...

Have not heard too many talk of using the sail on a Outback,  but it looks as though your satisfied.

Does the sail work well enough that you would leave the drive @ Home or do you need it for

a Dagger?
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Damn right it's still a kayak - and a nice one!   :smt001  You've created something that should inspire all of us.  Well done, Matt.

As for salmon trolling while sailing, I wouldn't be too quick to try it.  First, salmon trolling is pretty slow - 1-2 knots is fine.  For me it's just a mellow paddle stroke, so it should just be the most mild of peddling actions...  Second, I would be concerned about hooking a fish and still being under sail strength.  The standard practice when salmon trolling is to immediately put the boat in neutral/stop paddling when you hook a fish.  Third, a salmon is much much different than a rockfish or a lingcod in that they are more likely to run different directions.  This will be a challenge with your outriggers, and even more of a challenge with the sail.  All that said, I think it is worth investigating.

Can't wait for salmon season!  Good luck, Matt, and keep sharing your tinkering and your good vibe.   :smt001

Eric
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • View Profile
It was surprisingly easy and fun to sail, especially with the outriggers.

The pedals are always helpful; either while tacking into the wind or to just relax your feet together to make a centerboard.

In theory, one would set sail to travel to a fishing area, then use the sail to counteract the drag while trolling.  Or one can always de-deploy the mast and sail.

But the real secret is the Scottish flag.   :smt002

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:27:05 PM by HobieSport »

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Matt, your homemade rack with amas is nice solution to turn any narrow or tippy boat into a stable crab trap carrying rig.  Nice!
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks ChuckE.  It's an honor.  -Matt.

Grumpy

• Doug
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Matt,

Nice to put a face to a name.  Glad to meet you. 

I can't believe that you don't fish.  Your boat would be perfect on calm days.  Go to Longs and pick up a couple of shrimp fly rigs (bottom fishing rigs)  and a couple of four ounce sinkers.  You can also use old spark plugs, old boats or anything that will sink.  put the sinker on but don't lock the snap-swivel on your line.  If you get wedged in a rock, you can pull your line free.  If your sinker is locked on, it will break your line.  Any kind of rod and reel will work; even a hand line will work.  Hand lines are great fun. You can always pick up fishing gear at the second hand stores and yard sales in your area. 

After June 1, on a calm day, like we had today, peddle straight out of the bay at Van Damme and go to the edge of the closest kelp bed.  Drop your shrimp fly rig down with any kind of bait and bounce it off of the bottom.  You will catch nice pan sized bottom fish.   Catch two or three and you have plenty for dinner.  If you don't like to eat fish, let them go and catch them another day.

Good Luck,

Hope to see you next time I'm up.

Doug
Doug

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • View Profile
 :smt006 Hey Doug,

Thanks for the tips!  Sure I want to fish!  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  With my work schedule at Van Damme (Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my weekends) it's sometimes hard to find fishing buddies willing to have a newbie as company, and I never go out alone, and I've only been diving once (loved it).

I specifically asked Parks to put me at Van Damme so's I could meet more NCKAers.  So far, so good, but kayak divers seem to avoid eye contact with me sometimes (unless I'm just paranoid).  Maybe they think we're Park rangers, or are mad at Parks for the Salt Point fiasco?

Hint:  Parks Rangers have lights and sirens on their trucks and cars and carry glocks.
Parks Maintenance folks like me drive trucks with no lights on top, or drive the trusty ol' John Deere Gator, and we are armed with toilet plungers and weed whips, and we carry garbage, and gladly answer any questions.

So if anyone wants to invite me, PM me in advance and I'll bring my yak and gear to work. I can go out on Tuedays and Wednesdays, or afternoons after 5 oclock.

And yes, we do love to eat fish, abs, mussels, urchin and crab.  Mariko (my significant other) is Japanese and used to work at a sushi bar.  She's a life-long artist.  Check out some of her water color landscapes of local beauty.  Dang her work is good, if I do say so myself. There.  I gave her a plug.  :smt002

http://www.mariko-irie.com/

Cheers all,  -Matt

Grumpy

• Doug
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Matt,

I did  a quick up and back last Fri-Sat.  Didn't see you at the park.  A friend and I went out Friday pm and picked up two limits of rock fish.  Let one ling go-probably legal but too close to call.  Got out of the water when the thunder started.  Went home and had fresh fish for dinner. 

You need to pick up an inexpensive rod and reel and a 3-4 oz chrome lure.  Drop it anywhere on the edge of the kelp, outside of the bay, and you will catch fish.

My first time fishing with the Hobie.  Great calm day boat.  Even with wind the at about 10-15 I would peddle into the wind and the boat woul stay right on top of the reef.  Didn't lose any gear like I usually do with a paddle boat.   Paddled over the kelp but I did have some problems with thick stuff getting tangled in the blades.  I only had to pull the drive once.

Dived about noon Sat after the thunder stopped.  Too windy to fish and marginal for abs on the south side of the bay.  I picked up one 8.5" and a couple just over eight.  Nothing big.

Kayakers were surfing on the swell going over the reef on the south side.  I left after seeing three Orcas in the fringe of the kelp on the south side of the bay.  The were sighted and reported in Elk earlier in the day and off of Pacific Star winery north of Fort Bragg later in the afternoon.  Beautiful animals and apparently not a threat to kayakers.  Keep you eyes open for them.

Hope to see you next time,

Doug

Doug