Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fin Mast Bent... need advice  (Read 2423 times)

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I was able to fix one of my mast by using a sledge hammer. Protect the threads and go to town. A standard hammer will not bend it back. I did buy a new one as a spare.
i would install the new one, and keep the repaired one as a spare (esp if you had to fix it multiple times already).

I only bent it once, but I have thought about it. Have taken the yak out several times since then.

I also have thought about buying a steel rod and threading the top, then cut it to size. Steel rod isn't that expensive. Not sure if anyone here has tried it?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:18:43 AM by Fish67 »

Tinker

Buy new ones.  Those masts are tempered (according to a Hobie forum post) and if you heat them glowing red, you'll change their temper.  If you have a metal works or auto body shop nearby, they might be able to straighten them for you to use as back-ups, but new shafts might be cheaper. 

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hobie masts are crap. They are very susceptible to metal fatigue and will break without any warning. If you attempt to straighten a bent mast, you will weakened it in the process, further shortening its life. Better to just buy new masts.

A.Julian

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Hobie masts are crap. They are very susceptible to metal fatigue and will break without any warning. If you attempt to straighten a bent mast, you will weakened it in the process, further shortening its life. Better to just buy new masts.
That’s what I did! I would buy a new mast! When you break your mast later on you are going to replace the mast and sprocket. Save some money
Hobie Revolution 13 (mojo)
Andrew.J
Instagram A.julian_
Depth Squad http://www.depthsquad.com

2017 GS11 2nd place
2018 MBF 1st place

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I ordered new masts, thx for all the replies. Until I go pick them up, I tried putting my regular fin masts in, and it fits fine, with maybe 2 inches short at the end. Will try these until I pick up my order. Whether the 2 inches of rubber fins at the end without metal rod support will function well, i will have to test.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I also have thought about buying a steel rod and threading the top, then cut it to size. Steel rod isn't that expensive. Not sure if anyone here has tried it?

Would definitely be doable if you can find the correct grade of stainless. Although I've never broken a mast (have bent them a few times), I'd like to have a spare, so might have to give it a try...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017

Would definitely be doable if you can find the correct grade of stainless. Although I've never broken a mast (have bent them a few times), I'd like to have a spare, so might have to give it a try...
I will give this a try as well as I am curious. [emoji3]

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I will give this a try as well as I am curious. [emoji3]

Let me know what grade is stainless you end up using.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a