Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:21 PM]

[Today at 06:52:32 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: rudder pedal?  (Read 1887 times)

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Anybody who has a rudder on their kayak.  Is their suposed to be somthing to hold the pedals forward when in transport.  I just instaled a fether craft rudder on my extreme And it didnt come with any directions and most directions that I could find online wernt very detailed in some respects.  I tryed it out for the first time yesterday and it worked well but in transport the peddwls slid back And I was woried that it would cause excess ware on the cable.  I asked my boss and he said his rudder has bungies to hold them foward.  Bungies would also keep it centered when my feet were off the pedals.  What do you guys think.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
The Feathercraft setup doesnt have anything to do it, and for the most part it seems to work out fine.  Others, like Cobra's own does.  Cobra uses a bungee that hooks to a small adjustable strap so you can accomdate readjusting the pedals for different size people.  If the bungees get too much preload it can add a lot of effort to steering.

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hey Patrick,If I understand what your saying, On my yaks with rudders It's just a matter of securing the rudder with the strap provided. If the rudder is secured there shouldn't be any stress on the cables during transport.
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
No its not the actual rudder rickey. The rudder is held firmly in place but the foot pedals both slide back in transport causing a loop in the cable near the rudder I over time the looping and straightning of the cable will eventuly cause wear in the cable.  Probably not in my lifetime but it is just a pet pive of mine.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

patrick, I have a well used scupper pro. the steel cables have almost worn through one of the
holes in the aluminum rudder plate. And actually the cable was down to one strand, I had to
shorten it and put a couple heavy duty snaps in there as a band-aid.

So I do think that your point about wear is somewhat valid, especially at cable to rudder connection
points, but I don't think the issue will be the cable itself unless it rubs on other metal.
But sounds like a little bungie will set your mind at ease and keep those
pedals from moving around during transport.

If we ever meet up and I still have this kayak, check out my rudder for the kind of wear that
can happen. Ideally there would be some delrin bushings or something there to handle the
friction and wear.

j
john m. airey

anything