Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: BYOK---Build Your Own Kayak---I'm tempted to do it.  (Read 2773 times)

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I've been doing some on line research and I'm getting closer to going for it.
I even mentioned it to the wife. I said "Looks like I might build our seventh kayak." Waited for a negative reply...didn't get one! :smt001

I started with the Pygmy product. Man...those are nice...I think I'm sold on the Pygmy. Need to narrow down the best one for me.

Here's a just a few of the interesting links I found during my searches:

Pygmy:
www.pygmyboats.com

Wavelength Paddling Magazine has a nice feature on wooden kayaks. Lots of good info.
Click on the picture of the magazine to download a pdf copy.
http://www.wavelengthmagazine.com/downloadpdf.php

and

http://www.wavelengthmagazine.com/2006/dj06dir.php

Jem Watercraft offers plans for a wooden SOT, the Sabalo:
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Sabalo

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 01:24:08 PM by alfredo »

Viking Ron

Hey Al,

That sabalo looks pretty cool, and not too heavy.  I'd be curious how it handles in various local conditions.  The stitch and glue tutorial even shows how a weight set (in storage for the last 10 new years resolutions) can be given new life as a boat building tool.  It would be fun to watch your progress if you decide to build your own.

Brgds,
Ron

:yak

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The sabalo does look pretty cool, but I was considering one of the Pygmy sit-in-kayaks.
Those wooden ones sure look pretty.

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I'm partial to the Pygmy products. The designer has been around for a long time and his boats have a great (and well deserved) reputation. The full kits are very complete and meant to be easily built by people with zero woodworking experience. And the weight- 32# for the Acrtic Tern 14'- just can't be beat by anything but an outrageously expensive exotic composite, costing thousands. (My experience is that John is quite conservative in his weight estimates. My wherry is well under his estimate.)

All that said, at the same time I think paddling an SIK should not be taken lightly. Self rescues, even assisted rescues, are a whole nother animal in an SIK. I would definitly recommend some lessons on rescues before paddling in any major exposures. Trying to empty a flooded boat in rough conditions is no picnic. One of the reasons SOTs have been used so much is because rescues are relatively easy on them.

All other things being equal, my hunch is that a competent SIK paddler (with a bomb-proof roll) would have an easier time surviving extreme conditions than an equally competent SOT paddler.

I certainly don't intend to scare anyone from SIKs. I think they are great boats,with distinct advantages, if people are willing to commit to learning the skills needed to be safe.

Alfredo- which Pygmy model are you looking at? If I thought I had the time to invest in building one, I would definitely get a Pygmy yak for my next boat. As it is, I hardly have any time for fishing these days!  :baby and :busy = :smt089
The Other Bill

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Looks cool Al.  I love shop projects. My only concern would be how much abuse could one of these take? I have fumbled and dropped mine while loading, slipped on rocks and fell on mine, and had a trough leave me scraping rocks under me.
Looks to be a beautiful boat. I saw 2 in the town of Mendocino a while back. The guy whose truck they were on swore by them.
<=>

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Pisco Sicko - Thank you for the comments and great advise. I agree with your comments on the SIK, they are a different animal than a SOT.
We have 4 SIK and 2 SOT now. The SIKs are smaller 10' boats. The family uses the SIK mainly for inland, flat water cruising.  My son and I  enjoy useing the SIK for bass fishing in delta sloughs and small lakes.

I have been considering the Arctic Tern 14. That is a good looking boat. I have no problem taking the proper classes to use it safely.

Tote - I was concerned about the abuse too. From what I've read, the fiberglass coating is fairly tough. I can't claim to have any woodworking skills, so I'll send you an invite to give me a hand. :smt002

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I don't have any direct experience with severe abuse of the kayaks, but I've heard horror stories of them surviving releases from racks at highway speeds. I do know from experience with larger boats that stitch-and-glue craft are relatively easy to repair. If you can build it, you can probably repair it. I don't want to even imagine trying to repair major damage in a polyethene boat. (Grind it up and remold it?)
The Other Bill

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I don't have any direct experience with severe abuse of the kayaks, but I've heard horror stories of them surviving releases from racks at highway speeds. I do know from experience with larger boats that stitch-and-glue craft are relatively easy to repair. If you can build it, you can probably repair it. I don't want to even imagine trying to repair major damage in a polyethene boat. (Grind it up and remold it?)

I'd like to build one too, but I'd use foam instead of wood.  Then each compartment would be a cooler, and I've been thinking of having a built-in livewell as well, just have corkable holes in the bottom of a 1' long space between bulkheads.  And of course an aluminum plate on the middle of the bottom for a transducer.  Now I've got the space, just need the time and energy.  ;)
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Then each compartment would be a cooler

then you'll make Chris/Cpyak a very happy man  :party