Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[Today at 04:04:00 AM]

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What's your favorite restaurant in the South Bay?  (Read 8291 times)

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Every Friday Night we go out as a family to dinner.
We rotate who gets to pick the restaurant each week.
The choices are made from a list of restaurants that we
have all agreed on.

Tonight was my pick and I chose "Claw Shack" on Berryessa in San Jose. We had never been there before but it had rave reviews and nothing on our list sounded appealing. It's a Cajun style restaurant with an Asian twist.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/claw-shack-san-jose?start=20
http://www.clawshack.com/

My family gave this place two thumbs up and we will be placing this restaurant on our rotation list. Before making this list we would waste so much time on making a decision on where to eat. Wished we would have came up with this idea sooner.

So what's your favorite restaurant in the South Bay?
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I have been going to the Falafel drive-in on West San Carlos since 1975. Stil go out of my way to eat there. Not fancy but great food Try a Kouby!

~BMAC~

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
If you're into Italian food, try Mario's in Mountain View. They're only open for dinner on Friday's, but it's freekin fantastic authentic Italian. http://www.mariositaliano.com/

bones

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Growing up in Sunnyvale my family would hit up Tao Tao restaurant. The Tao Tao beef is awesome!
2015 Hobie Revo 13

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
I have been going to the Falafel drive-in on West San Carlos since 1975. Stil go out of my way to eat there. Not fancy but great food Try a Kouby!

Passed it up numberous times then finally went there after seeing it on Dinners, Drive ins and Dives.
It was OK but didnt leave an impression on me. Sometimes it's a matter of knowing what to order. I'll give it another shot sometime and try the Kouby....thanks brother  :smt001

If you're into Italian food, try Mario's in Mountain View. They're only open for dinner on Friday's, but it's freekin fantastic authentic Italian. http://www.mariositaliano.com/

What do you normally order there? Thanks for the recommendation

Growing up in Sunnyvale my family would hit up Tao Tao restaurant. The Tao Tao beef is awesome!

Sweet thanks

Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Check out Morgan Hill.  A sneaker food scene has developed in the revived downtown between Main and 3rd.  Before we had the kid, we did a straight month of weekend dining down there to get acquainted.  Odeum (Greek), Ajays (philly cheesesteaks), Trail Dust (BBQ), Ladera Grill (American). 

DT Campbell has a few solid options.  Nachsmarkt and Tigelleria.  At Tig, they serve a complimentary bread that is f'ing awwwwwwwesome. 

Now, with a 2 yo, when we go out, we usually stick with places that have a booth so we can trap the lil rascal.  Ordinarily bounce between Khanh's (VN food, near Santana Row) and Pedros (MX in LG), but if i had a preference, i would eat elsewhere.

I've been wanting to go grab Korean tofu at SGD Tofu House in Santa Clara.  But too dangerous for baby with the flaming hot stone bowls.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you liked clawshack, worth doing a taste comparison with the originator of that style:  "Boiling Crab"  It started in OC in mid 2000's.  But there is one in the Plant in San Jose opposite the cemetery, and aonther in East San Jo.  Each are packed, like 1.5 hour wait times, so you're only reasonable shot is to try offpeak hours.

In addition to Claw Shack, there's another imitator called Kicking Crab on Cropley near Capitol in San Jo.  Less crowded.  Parking sux

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
If you liked clawshack, worth doing a taste comparison with the originator of that style:  "Boiling Crab"  It started in OC in mid 2000's.  But there is one in the Plant in San Jose opposite the cemetery, and aonther in East San Jo.  Each are packed, like 1.5 hour wait times, so you're only reasonable shot is to try offpeak hours.

In addition to Claw Shack, there's another imitator called Kicking Crab on Cropley near Capitol in San Jo.  Less crowded.  Parking sux

Actually, it was Cajun Corner first! Then they we're bought/rebranded and Boiling Crab took off.  They used to be empty before the style got popular, and cheap!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:49:30 PM by Jeremy »

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Went full asian stereotype tonight. We were over in cupertino buying a piano for the boy n figured wed go for some tofu. So good dude cd eat three times a week, but sadly only do so once a year. Lest u think its over the top HAC, there were a cpl round eye gwai lo in there.  :smt002

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
I'm sure it's good but you'd have to go there with me Martin.
This round eye would need a translator  :smt003
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:38:46 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
U still doing fri night dining out?  Tonight, we et at Toto Trattoria in Morgan Hill. 

They have real eye talian owners and workers, including a QT Sicilan server whose married to the dishwasher.

The bruschetta was awesome, and Risotto a Tutto Mare was solid. $130 total for four entrees, a margherita pizzs, a bruschetta, two glasses wine and two fruit juices.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:04:28 PM by Big Verm »

snakecharmer

• Salmon
  • Happy to join any fishy adventures!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Went full asian stereotype tonight. We were over in cupertino buying a piano for the boy n figured wed go for some tofu. So good dude cd eat three times a week, but sadly only do so once a year. Lest u think its over the top HAC, there were a cpl round eye gwai lo in there.  :smt002

Where is that?  This paleface round eye wants in on that action!
Fish laugh when I paddle by.  Sometimes they laugh so hard they fall on my hook.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
SGD Tofu House in Santa Clara.  (Next door to STD Massage House :jerk:  :smt002)

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
Yes, still doing the Friday night dinner out with the family.

SGD Tofu House in Santa Clara.  (Next door to STD Massage House :jerk:  :smt002)

They both have crustaceans  :smt044

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Tgat dish needs crackers! #callme
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.