Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Mounting a Garmin Striker 5 on an OK T13  (Read 2929 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I think I have decided on buying the Striker because I don't really need the map feature. I was wondering if anyone has mounted a Striker under the sonar shield.

The previous owner had a Ram ball mounted on the flat under the sonar shield so I am trying to get ideas of how some of you have mounted the FF. I have seen most mounted on the wall under the sonar shield.

I also need some info on using duct seal to mount the transducer inside the hull. I have a vague idea from a few posts. It seems like you put the duct seal in the hull, then embed the transducer inside of it. Do you push it all the way so it contacts the hull. The transducers these days are HUGE!

If you could forward a link showing how someone has done any of this I would appreciate it! I have been searching for a couple of days but have not come up with much.

Loren

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I ordered the Garmin stryker thru hull mount and it worked great filled with water. Ended up placing the transducer in the mount filled with silicon. Has worked great for 2 seasons with accurate water temps. This is on a moken feel free tho
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

Tinker

I don't use duct seal but I thought that duct seal is used to make a dam for a water-bath installation, not as an adhesive, but I could easily be wrong about that.

I got a lot of great advice on GOOP-ing a transducer in the hull here, and in NWKA, so you might want to look at that method, too, since that sounds like what you were thinking of doing with duct seal.

No, the transducer does not need to touch the hull - IMHO that would be hard to do without getting air between it and the hull either as installed or soon after installation - but when I used GOOP, I put mine close to the hull, separated by about the thickness of a dime.

I'm not a fan of rigging a kayak.  Decisions, decisions - it drives me nuts for a while.  Good luck with yours!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:44:51 AM by Tinker »

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks, I have read about gooping a transducer but since I have duct seal I may go that route. I like the idea of that prefab dam, I have read you should use a good quality silicone, silicone II is what I thought I saw. I just want to keep the transducer out of the way of the forward hatch because I stow my wheels there so it is going to take some figuring where to place it.

I thought the transducer was embedded in the duct seal...more studying to do.

Maybe I should use the word setting up a kayak instead of rigging, just looking for good ideas to make things more streamlined and convenient. 

Tinker

This is a video several folks I know used to decide how to use duct seal with a transducer.  Seems a bit long to answer a simple question, but it has good some information:

And it shows how quickly GE Silicone II fails.

Happy crafting.

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I have used duct seal at work. It is great stuff. I'll try the dam filled with water, I guess you just have to make sure it has water in it all the time. Thanks for the video.

It will be fun getting things setup. I had fun rigging up my old Zodiac. It took a couple of years because you are always finding new things to buy :smt001

Tinker

It will be fun getting things setup. I had fun rigging up my old Zodiac. It took a couple of years because you are always finding new things to buy :smt001

Tell me about it!  It's why setting-up (or rigging) a kayak makes me nuts.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... setting-up (or rigging) a kayak makes me nuts.

This explains a lot about NCKA...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Tinker

... setting-up (or rigging) a kayak makes me nuts.

This explains a lot about NCKA...

I knew I wasn't going to get away with that one...

TenCrabs, would you mind posting a photo of how you mounted the Gramin transducer when you're done?

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Tinker,

The Striker is coming Wednesday...

I will post the whole install once I get the permanent install done (might be a while) I am going to do a temp install to see how I like the sonar shield location, then I'll see if I want to use the Ram ball that is already there. I was poking around somewhere and one guy used wire caps from West Marine for the battery and transducer wires.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--two-hole-wire-caps--P003_094_010_501?recordNum=20

A nice clean way to penetrate the wall, they do use a one inch hole though!

Tinker

I can be patient.  Just interested to see how you did it with the Garmin transducer shape and size.  Happy setting-up!

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Okay, here is what I came up with. I haven't tested it yet but I plan to next week. I bought one of these, the transducer just fits:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XSK8T6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

We use a larger container for salad and it has nice a nice snapping lock instead of other containers  that you have a pull off lid.  I cut the bottom off with a sheetrock knife. If you do this be careful, the plastic is brittle. I am not sure if a hack saw or a hot blade would do a better job. Then I drilled a hole (spade bit worked nice) in it. I used some duct seal to seal the hole however I would like to install a grommet some day

I made a dam out of duct seal and lowered the container into it then mushed the duct seal with my fingers on the inside and outside. I drilled a couple of holes in the lid of the container and used a cable tie to attach the excess cable to the lid. The transducer is located directly below the sonar shield. 

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Ooops! Wrong pics...

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Here is one more pic of the transducer. I made a couple of "straps" out of duct seal to keep the transducer from moving around. I can't wait to try it out!

In the first set of pics you can see how the Striker 5 sits with the 6 1/4" Ram Mount. This is all a work in progress so I will see how I like the setup. Now I have to do a little research about cable and battery management.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I don’t understand this install. What is the purpose of the box? I thought you’d use the duct seal just to hold the transducer in place against the hull—like goop, but easily removeable.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

anything