Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Light, wide, short, stable kayak recommendations  (Read 4733 times)

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Yeah I knew the specs, I'm just wondering from a in-use standpoint. As far as I can tell there's no reason to get the XL version for me, unless someone knows some other reason.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I don't find either to be short or light, particularly the XL.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

RBark

• Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
All of them are smaller and lighter than any kayak I have  :smt005
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
If you have an 8' bed, a 12' kayak is not too long with the tailgate down.

A kayak over 10' long on a shorter bed truck seems to hang out too much for my preference anyway.

When you titled this Light, wide and short, I did not begin to consider suggesting a tandem!
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I love my wilderness commander 120.... So much you can do with it.... Comfortable seat (removable) High/low/standing options (I can stand and cast in mine @ 250lb 6' tall) Check one out. NOT for the big blue as it is open inside. Never flipped/sunk mine in 2 years of heavy use...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I love my wilderness commander 120.... So much you can do with it.... Comfortable seat (removable) High/low/standing options (I can stand and cast in mine @ 250lb 6' tall) Check one out. NOT for the big blue as it is open inside. Never flipped/sunk mine in 2 years of heavy use...

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/wilderness-systems-commander-120-kayak/

Slow and Heavy  were the common statements...   Doesn't quite fit into this thread.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

RBark

• Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
Ok, I guess I should be more clear! Haha.

Speed means nothing, SC is the size of a football field.
Light means less than 70 pounds to me.
Short is nice but not necessary. Tossing it into the back of my truck with no trailer would be cool but it super important.
No hatches was the most important aspect to me so that I can continue the quick and easy loading / unloading of kayaks for short trips to SC which is only a 10 min drive away forntrout fishing.

I just wanted to be able to easily pass inspections with minimal work since keeping the outside dry is easy, the inside not so much during winter.

I saw someone mention all they do is open hatches and run a fan inside their kayak all night before heading out. Seems like an alternative I can try.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Then come over the hill here and demo a Raptor.. G-1 is only   62 lbs ( actual weight , rigged )   easily slides into the back of a small pick-up.   Only one hatch that would be accessible for an inspection. is the bow.
  Could add two 4" ones in the back if desired.  $ 1,050.  w/ seat. out the door.

Now,, if you really want "Light"   I have a Carbon Fiber version,,,  The only one I've ever made,  I'd consider selling. 
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile

Slow and Heavy  were the common statements...   Doesn't quite fit into this thread.
Coming from a guy that makes Kayaks... And is pushing his in the next post.... :smt044 Consider that
66lb is light compared to my other kayaks. Loaded with every accessory under the moon, they are all heavy... Slow? 2.5 mph sustained without to much effort, Low in the water so wind drift minimized. Mounting tracks all over it! Dumping all your gear in it plus poles and karting it to the water is easy peasy.... Never knock a product by just reading about it. SC kayaks is still on my list of "try it's" So many GOOD boats out there it is hard to choose.... One may be awesome for you and terrible for others....
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Coming from a guy that makes Kayaks... And is pushing his in the next post.... :smt044 Consider that
66lb is light compared to my other kayaks. Loaded with every accessory under the moon, they are all heavy... Slow? 2.5 mph sustained without to much effort, Low in the water so wind drift minimized. Mounting tracks all over it! Dumping all your gear in it plus poles and karting it to the water is easy peasy.... Never knock a product by just reading about it. SC kayaks is still on my list of "try it's" So many GOOD boats out there it is hard to choose.... One may be awesome for you and terrible for others....

Gotta take every opportunity to market my kayaks... :smt002   Notice I didn't try to "peddle" my brand until your "pro-staff"  attempt at persuasion.   You've been pushing Wilderness brand for several years now.  If  you're not on their pro-staff team, you should be.  If this is the same kayak you had at FNC last year,,,my back is still sore from helping you lift it. :smt003   
     That being said,  2.5mph ?   Ouch!    I guess it's nothing like the Tarpon 120.   I purchased one for my wife years ago... it was much faster,  I liked it, but a bit squirrly in the stability side.    My Scrambler on the other hand was slower, but came without any hatches.   Only opening was a drain plug.  You can probably find one RBark.. just need to keep looking.
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I saw this on CL this morning and thought that it might fit the bill if you're not opposed to a SIK:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/spo/5945980809.html

(if the ad gets pulled it's an Old Towne Vapor 10)
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would also consider a hobie i11s.  Only real issue with that is deciding whether to try and keep it inflated or not, as well as the cost.  if you transport it mostly fully inflated, it would be less work to set up.  no internal hatches at all, good weight capacity and stability.

but cost may be an issue, even though you got mad $$$.

Overall though if i had space to just get one specific kayak only for small EBMUD and EBPARKS lakes, I would go with a Native Ultimate 12. I've fished from them in the past and always enjoyed it.  They have a bit of hull slap, but really the stability is outstanding for what it is, an affordable, 12' long, 50lb canoe hybrid with an excellent seat.  Only issue is finding one to demo, or even buy as they're real rare on our coast.  I almost bought one a year ago but couldn't justify the storage of it when i have so many other kayaks already.

I would have recommended the versaboard or a fishing SUP, but those won't work on some EBMUD lakes that somehow think that you can't use a standup paddleboard. 

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
And weight, when we're talking about our specific lake, does matter to me.  The reason being that I heard some scuttlebutt that someday we could be able to put kayaks into the back ponds, where it is currently restricted to float tubes.  It would be a lot easier wheeling a 50lb kayak over the hill to the back ponds than a 70lb kayak. 

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'd go with the mini-x myself, price, function, stability, etc all seem to be in line with what your wanting.  But not sure how easy it is to find without a hatch. 

One other idea aside from say using a SUP came to mind is the Nucanoe:

http://kayaksbybo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sand.jpg
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

OnTheReel

• Salmon
  • Father, Angler, Adventure Seeker
  • View Profile On The Reel Apparel / Gear
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'd go with the mini-x myself, price, function, stability, etc all seem to be in line with what your wanting.  But not sure how easy it is to find without a hatch. 
I'm looking for a light and stable kayak. The biggest criteria is that the hull is inaccessible. A decent seat would be nice too. Just something I can toss in the back of my truck for Shadow Cliffs that they can't inspect inside for condensation. The condensation on top of the hull interior always seems to kill any effort drying the interior of my kayak between my house and SC. They have been lenient so far but recommendations wouild be cool. Polepole showed me one that might work but I'd like to see alternative ideas.

Malibu Mini X all the way Ryan... are you talking about SC as in Santa Cruz? Size of a football field? I paddle an avg of 12 miles a day when I fish out here... cant wait for season to open and my situation to settle so we can go out sometime! youll have a whole different perception, that Trident will come in handy!

The Spider angler seat would be a great addon, I thought it was more comfortable then the new Trident seat. They are super stable, track straight and have great access as well as building options... Let me know if you need help with ordering one, I may be able to get you a deal! They're light compared to most as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:34:54 AM by RippinLips »
- Austin - IG: on_the_reel_831

anything