Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:54:38 PM]

[Today at 10:40:43 PM]

[Today at 10:23:17 PM]

[Today at 10:15:00 PM]

[Today at 09:27:37 PM]

[Today at 08:18:36 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Another Promar TR-102W 5" Opening Modification  (Read 3701 times)

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I really liked the stainless steel clips that hold the Promar TR-102W crab traps shut. They can be easily closed using a single hand. This might not sound like much, but you will really appreciate this feature when you are sitting with the trap on your lap and bouncing around in the waves.

There have been a few modifications posted to make the Promar TR-102W compliant with the 2016 crabbing regulations. Unfortunately, all the ones I have seen involved removing the stainless steel clips and replacing them with loops of untreated cotton twine. To close the trap, you will have to wrap the loops around both door frames and attach it to a bungee cord to keep tension on the twine. Not easy to do if you are constantly watching for incoming swells.

I wanted to retained the stainless steel clips, so my modification involved the existing circular escape rings. The Promar TR-102W comes with two 4.25" circular escape rings on the sides of the trap. These rings are attached to the netting using polypropylene line. I carefully cut away this line and removed the circular ring, revealing a 3 mesh square x 3 mesh square opening, approximately 4.5" x 4.5". This was smaller than the required 5" opening, so I cut away an extra row and column of mesh squares, forming a 4 mesh square x 4 mesh square opening about 6" x 6". I then wove the circular escape ring into the larger opening using untreated cotton twine.

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Nice clean cut.
One thing I would like to point out whether true or not, you can to check it yourself.
If you cut one of the cotton twine(anywhere), would it break and make the 5" opening, if it won't there is a problem. At least I see that it won't in your 5" opening the way you tie it.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
That was going to be my option B.
But instead I was going to use a 5" diameter piece of coated wire mesh in it's place.

I like your idea of re-purposing the existing escape ring so that the only material you need is the rotten cotton.

Thanks Tim
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
Nice clean cut.
One thing I would like to point out whether true or not, you can to check it yourself.
If you cut one of the cotton twine(anywhere), would it break and make the 5" opening, if it won't there is a problem. At least I see that it won't in your 5" opening the way you tie it.

I don't think the regs specify that. It does specify continuous strand which I believe he has accomplished.

Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice, exactly what I was imagining.  I like the clips too much to lose them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
Nice clean cut.

From https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=132266&inline:

Crab traps must contain at least one destruct device made from a single strand of untreated cotton twine size No. 120 or less that creates an unobstructed opening anywhere in the top or upper half of the trap that is at least 5 inches in diameter when this material corrodes or fails.

It does not say a single point of failure in the cotton twine must create a 5" opening. Unless I am reading it wrong?

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Nice clean cut.

From https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=132266&inline:

Crab traps must contain at least one destruct device made from a single strand of untreated cotton twine size No. 120 or less that creates an unobstructed opening anywhere in the top or upper half of the trap that is at least 5 inches in diameter when this material corrodes or fails.

It does not say a single point of failure in the cotton twine must create a 5" opening. Unless I am reading it wrong?

Krusty,

You are not reading it wrong, but I believe the intention of the rule is for a failure of the twine at any one point to create the 5" opening. It's actually an easier install to use a single loop around instead of a knot at each place you tied it, and it would meet both the letter and the intention of the regulation. Still, you came up with a brilliant idea for meeting the regulation!

Dan
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Why not just have a PERMANENT 5" RING " in there.  My thinking is that when multiple numbers of crabs get in the trap, a majority of them will stay put.  Also gives you another 5" entry point for them to come in.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
Sounds good until you see a fat fucker climb out at the surface  :smt001

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Sounds good until you see a fat fucker climb out at the surface  :smt001

I kind of think if they can get out a 5" ring, they could probably get out the promar doors.

-Allen

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
Why not just have a PERMANENT 5" RING " in there.  My thinking is that when multiple numbers of crabs get in the trap, a majority of them will stay put.  Also gives you another 5" entry point for them to come in.

Because I have no idea where to buy 5" stainless steel rings.

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
What about some 5" pvc pipe and just cut off thin slices? I hadn't really thought about putting a permanent 5" escape in there but that might be the simplest solution.

Cheers,
Brad

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
What about some 5" pvc pipe and just cut off thin slices? I hadn't really thought about putting a permanent 5" escape in there but that might be the simplest solution.

Cheers,
Brad
Or instead of cutting a thin PVC, cut it maybe 6" wide then install it flush on the outside and have the rest protruding on the inside.  Kinda defeats the spirit and intent of the regulation but it would make it more acrobatic for the crab to escape.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile

Cheers,
Brad
Or instead of cutting a thin PVC, cut it maybe 6" wide then install it flush on the outside and have the rest protruding on the inside.  Kinda defeats the spirit and intent of the regulation but it would make it more acrobatic for the crab to escape.

A 6" long pvc escape tunnel would also make it impossible to collapse the trap flat.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile

Cheers,
Brad

Take another puff and go back to the drawing board  :smt033

I'm pretty sure that's how some of our kayaks are designed  :smt005

anything