Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Albion urchin removal  (Read 2265 times)

rob102

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Hi guys,
Some of you are aware of the Watermen’s alliance urchin removal event that just took place at Ocean Cove. There will be a similar event at Albion on July 21-22. I am coordinating the kayak support which will shuttle game bags of urchin to nearby boats where the crushing will take place. If anyone is interested in getting involved as a diver or kayak support pleas let me know. If not, I’ll see you the following week in Albion.

Thanks

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Hi guys,
Some of you are aware of the Watermen’s alliance urchin removal event that just took place at Ocean Cove. There will be a similar event at Albion on July 21-22. I am coordinating the kayak support which will shuttle game bags of urchin to nearby boats where the crushing will take place. If anyone is interested in getting involved as a diver or kayak support pleas let me know. If not, I’ll see you the following week in Albion.

Thanks

Rob, I just reserved C21 for Fri-Sun. I'll bring a single person kayak (cobra fishing navigator). I will be diving and someone can use my yak to transport to boats.

Let me know what other kind of dive gear outside of the typical that will help make removing urchin easier. Anything else I should bring?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
If any of you are attending this event, let me know and I'll update the map.  :wav:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
are people eating the urchins or are they just being thinned out? I've always passed over them when spear fishing or abalone diving. I know people eat them but I never tired. Are they worth the effort and how do you prepare them?
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
are people eating the urchins or are they just being thinned out? I've always passed over them when spear fishing or abalone diving. I know people eat them but I never tired. Are they worth the effort and how do you prepare them?

They need a good thinning.  Most people don’t eat the purple urchin as the gonads are smaller and sounds like many of them are also starving so the quality is not good.  I use them in the garden after crushing them.  The larger red ones are what is typically harvested for the commercial market as food. 

-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
UPDATED CAMPING MAP. If you have a camping spot, let me know what it is and I'll update the map (or if you have a buddy on here or NCUH that you know has a spot). If you're going to get a spot, try to get it in the top right corner (C15-C30) if they are still available. Getting stoked to decimate some urchins!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
deffently sounds like a fun day of diving and kayaking! wont be able to do it this year since we already have plans but will deffently be in next year if it's a yearly thing. As for the eating... I guess I will have to try it at a sushi restaurant first and see if I like the way it taste before I harvest them for food but my garden will be happy for some seafood compost.
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

Joshua R.

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
The event is almost here and it's looking to be bigger than the last.  We will meet up at the Albion boat launch closest to the bridge for the dive briefing Saturday the 21st at 8am.  I have a portable high pressure compressor to refill tanks from my boat and we will have water and snacks for during your surface intervals or breaks.  I know a lot of people are asking for more specific details about where exactly we will be diving and what the details are but some of these questions are impossible to answer until we actually get to the event and see what equipment showed up and what conditions are.  Recreational fishing license is all that is required and there are plenty of volunteer opportunities for non divers as well.  Please bring a boat or kayak if you have them for yourself or to lend and I will see you all on the 21st.

We still could use more kayakers to ferry bags of urchin from the divers to the boats and resupply the divers with empty bags.  Rob102 is coordinating the kayak volunteers.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
deffently sounds like a fun day of diving and kayaking! wont be able to do it this year since we already have plans but will deffently be in next year if it's a yearly thing. As for the eating... I guess I will have to try it at a sushi restaurant first and see if I like the way it taste before I harvest them for food but my garden will be happy for some seafood compost.

We are harvesting purple urchins. They don't have as much gonads (uni) even when they're not starving, but as there are so many of them, they are starving so they aren't worth eating in the first place. Typically you want to eat the red urchins which are bigger and have more to them. So far there have been 2 events this year, and likely a 3rd before the year is over (i'm guessing, Josh Russo can fill in more). Hope you can make it to the next one. Invite your friends to this event even if you can't make it. We need kayakers and urchin crushers (divers too, but if your friends don't dive, we can still use them!).

See you around!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Brandi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
UPDATED CAMPING MAP. If you have a camping spot, let me know what it is and I'll update the map (or if you have a buddy on here or NCUH that you know has a spot). If you're going to get a spot, try to get it in the top right corner (C15-C30) if they are still available. Getting stoked to decimate some urchins!

TheKeeneroo - Heather & Dennis (Bay area) and Dan & Vanessa (Humboldt) are not on NCKA (nor NCUH) however will be camping and participating.  Not sure what site they will be at, but they will be there! 

I am not currently planning on being there as there is a conflict with a previous commitment, Reef Check dives now to be in the Mendo area - SOSD

Gimme Shelter Gyotaku Extravaganza! Coordinator

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

TheKeeneroo - Heather & Dennis (Bay area) and Dan & Vanessa (Humboldt) are not on NCKA (nor NCUH) however will be camping and participating.  Not sure what site they will be at, but they will be there! 

I am not currently planning on being there as there is a conflict with a previous commitment, Reef Check dives now to be in the Mendo area - SOSD

Awesome! If you happen to find out which sites, let me know! I intend to go around to each person on the map and make introductions for those that aren't already buddies!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Brandi

• Salmon
  • View Profile

TheKeeneroo - Heather (Bay area) and Vanessa (Humboldt) are not on NCKA (nor NCUH) however will be camping and participating.  Not sure what site they will be at, but they will be there! 

Awesome! If you happen to find out which sites, let me know! I intend to go around to each person on the map and make introductions for those that aren't already buddies!

Heather and Vanessa will be camping in site C1.  They will be bringing a raffle donation (3 bottles homemade wine, each valued @$12) from Frank Onstine, Humboldt Skindiver and hobbyist wine maker.  Do you know where they should deliver it to?   

Thanks!

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

TheKeeneroo - Heather (Bay area) and Vanessa (Humboldt) are not on NCKA (nor NCUH) however will be camping and participating.  Not sure what site they will be at, but they will be there! 

Heather and Vanessa will be camping in site C1.  They will be bringing a raffle donation (3 bottles homemade wine, each valued @$12) from Frank Onstine, Humboldt Skindiver and hobbyist wine maker.  Do you know where they should deliver it to?   

Thanks!

You can deliver it to me in site C21 or Matt Mattison in C25. We will get it to Tino.
Stop by and say hi!

P.s. MAP IS UPDATED BELOW.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Brandi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks!  I passed on the info.

I am not planning on being there.  Actually was just there diving for Reef Check.  This is a screen shot from my GoPro video taken Monday in the very site you will be diving this weekend.  I didn't even recognize the place :(

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I'll be there Friday night with 2 buddies in site A14.  We all have kayaks and one of us will be diving.  Looking forward to a fun day on the water!