Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:27:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hand held VHF question  (Read 2696 times)

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Does anyone know the avg range of the hand held VHF units?
Mine has 2.5/5 watt output and I use 5 watts.

Tried communicating with Joel and we were fading and lost contact.  I'm guessing we were 2-2.5 miles apart with very little swell and I tried to transmit at the top of a swell (does it matter?).

Also, I was hearing guys "right off Marina" loud and clear.  I'm sure they were using the typical boating VHF radios with the tall antenna at 25 watts.

Stuart

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Yeah Stuart... I've experienced similar range with mine... When we were in the bay this winter, I was up toward the duck blinds and SCAllen was down by McNears and I could barely hear him... could hear him better if I held the radio up over my body.  Figure it was a little over 2 miles away.

I did notice when we launched at Moss for the derby that I had a tough time  getting a clear signal from you... much moreso than others... not sure if it was your signal or a microphone problem or what.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Stu - I heard you on the radio - I responded to you several times but it seemed as if you did not hear me at all.....wierd.

JZumi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
VHF is line-of-sight so the height of the antennae is critical.  Those big 8 ft whips you see on the PB's get the tip 12 to 20 ft above the waterline while the shorty on the handheld next to your ear is only about 2-3 ft above waterline.  Just think about vision-- how far would you see if you were 15 feet above the waves versus 3 feet above?

There is a way to increase the range of a handheld:

Install a whip antennae and cable it to the handheld.  I have done this with my icom.  It required removing the shorty antennae and attaching an adapter that connects to vhf cable running to a fixed mount whip antennae.  I mounted the whip antennae onto a pole to elevate it, base of the pole fit into a base for easy removal.

Kevin and Fred and Fred Fritz Marine Electronics helped me set this up a couple of years ago.  I still have everything so if anyone wants to check it out , let me know.  (Just please don't ask me to send pictures --I am totally frustrated with that experience...)  I'd even be willing to part with this stuff.

PS  Make sure you get a waterPROOF (not waterresistant) handheld if you are using it on a yak.  It hurts the wallet but remember the bucks don't matter when you really need your vhf--reliability is everything.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the responses guys.  I didn't realize it was line of sight.  I thought I had a lot more range on the handheld.  

Next time, I'll have to try holding it above my head on top of a swell.

Stuart

PS, the waterproof VHF (Standard Horizon) has held up well for about a year or two.
The Nikon digital camera has not.  Trying to paddle closer to Joel on the 4th killed it.  Just a second or two in the wet prowler cockpit did it in.  I need to check out that waterproof camera Sean has.

Stuart

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Stu-I was looking online and they have updated my camera with a 5.0 mp unit that is even more water resistant, it can even shoot undrwater.  Price is about the same.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Quote from: scwafish
Stu-I was looking online and they have updated my camera with a 5.0 mp unit that is even more water resistant, it can even shoot undrwater.  Price is about the same.

I gotta have one... that's what I've been waiting for... can you throw us a bone on the model number?
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: scwafish

With things like digital cameras and other consumer electronics, I prefer to by last years model at a lower price.  I find I just don't use all the bells and whistles.

I looked on ebay for Sean's camera but there are no listings...  bummer.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Isn't it illeagal to attach a new mast antennae to your handheld?  Or does it just void the warranty.....

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
speaking of VHF radios....if any of you needs an extra charger (wall plug or car lighter plug) for a Uniden Voyager model = I have an extra one.

I'm willing to part with it for a salmon fillet  :smt003

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
You need more salmon?!?!? :smt104  :smt103  :smt108  :smt107

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
YES....I want more  :smt077 Now that I'm getting a vac. sealer for $30.00 at craig's list (thanks to Chuck) I can start storing more meat properly to HOPEFULLY last me till the next season  :smt002

What can I say...when it comes to salmon - I get greedy  :smt002

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
As mentioned, the whip antenna will help with signals, but not only because it's taller.  It's a tuning thing.  The taller whips are more efficent at radiating the RF energy than the stubby little shorty antennas.  The antenna (all of the them) have a length of wire wound up inside then. (some have the wire wound on the outside) The length of the wire is cut to a length "resonant" to the frequency used in the marine bands.  (160 somethingMHz) The stubby antennas at best are only 1/4 wave if that, but that 1/4~ is wound in such a small package (what, 2 to 3 inches) where as the whips are about 5' and taller?  Theres a little more of the antenna exposed than in a stubby.
   At 3am thats about the best way I can explain it.  (HAM radio operator general class ticket)

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade