Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Catch and Release Fishing Best Practices  (Read 53747 times)

rocklobster

This topic is much needed even for those who don't practice pure catch and release fishing.  What I mean is, everyone who fishes will need to occasionally release their catches and in doing so should adopt the best practices.  It just makes better catches in the future for all of us.  Whalewatched - I like your post.

Whalewatched

Thanks rocklobster. I'm trying hard to be a more conscientious fisherman.  Paul

Pelican

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
We work hard for our fish and we earn them. After awhile though, ( in my case 30+ years ), you realise it's as much, if not more, about getting out there and enjoying nature as it is about bringing home the bacon. I don't often freeze fish so I don't keep very many. I almost always use barbless hooks and honestly don't think I loose any more fish because of it. It's amazing how much easier it is to unhook a fish using barbless hooks. You don't even have to touch them many times, just grab the lure or fly or whatever and twist it right out and away they go. I started doing this after tearing up an undersize striper with the trebles on a plug. Not neccessary! Tom
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:03:04 AM by Pelican »

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
Here is a link on a C&R study that I found in another forum. I think it will be a good read for everyone here. I know I have learn a lot from reading it:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/fishing/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Thanks, that's a great link. Probably the best review of the topic I've seen (even if it is Canadian).

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Good Info and lots I did not know!  Thanks Compa!  I'll have to keep those big ones in the water before picturing them nicely.
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Here is a link on a C&R study that I found in another forum. I think it will be a good read for everyone here. I know I have learn a lot from reading it:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/fishing/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

SWEET LiNK COMPA! Glad to have you onboard at NCKA!  :smt001

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Glad to help guys. Thanks!  :smt001

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Nice job, compa, scott, and bsteves!  Thanks.
dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Barbless is the ticket

I'll probably go barbless for all my fishing

And single hooks on the trolling rigs would probably be good but I haven't been able to bring myself to that yet

surfingmarmot

Most of my flies are barbless and, though I do lose a few extra fish, I can usually keep them on.
I did it early on so I could fish C&R only waters for trout.

Then I carried it over to striper fishing at San Luis. Never lost anything big, though from time to time you lose a fish you would have liked to have boated at least to see its size.

I need to read more on this, but my intuition tells me bait fishing is to worst for C&R and barbless single hooks on flies or other lures are the best. C&R trout fly fishing has a pretty low mortality rate as far as I know.

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
There was an article in a recent sports magazine which suggested that rockfish survival was very low unless returned to depth quickly. They use a deep water release cage to return the rockfish to the proper depth. Because the cage is too large to be used from a kayak, I invented a weighted self-tripping barbless hook system which I have been experimenting with. I will be testing it at Big Sur in a few weeks and share it with you if it works.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You are trying to reinvent the wheel.  :smt003 That tool is shown on page 7 of the article shown in reply # 18. :smt001

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I agree with Great Bass 2 there are many Rockcods that you can not save.  They just become part of the food chain by being floaters.

Most party boats don't care about a canary...the Yellow eye  are the ones that they seem to want to take care of and live.  Me...I want the Great White ( not SEAN) TO TAKE ME OUT......knife strap to my leg and my problem is the "Knife Not Loaded."  (put that in for all you shot gun {stun gun} guys) .  Think about?..you have one shot with a stun gun....knife ...you don't need to reload.

Ken kickfish

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I fished for trout using only barbless hooks for many years. I recently tried it on Monterey Bay. Squished down the barbs with pliers. Of five rockfish hooked, all were landed. I released four, and it was much easier with less damage to the mouth.

Barbless is the ticket

I'll probably go barbless for all my fishing

And single hooks on the trolling rigs would probably be good but I haven't been able to bring myself to that yet
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

anything