Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:48:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Carbon Fiber Raptor  (Read 19735 times)

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I would assume the upper half.  12# for the whole thing would be DAMN lite considering the shape/features of the hull design.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Awesome work Jim!!!   
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
That will be awesome, the glide on carbon and weight saving will be huge! Amazing work Jim!
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
         11.5 lbs was the actual weight of the top half.    I figure once the two are mated,, hatches, foot-braces etc added, it will be just under 30 lbs.      Still that's nearly 40 lbs shaved off the poly version!
   Started shaping the scuppers yesterday...  also fitting in a bulkhead  in order to create a floatation chamber, in the event of .....  a shark tooth penetrating the hull.  :smt002

This will be interesting to see how the light weight effects the speed.  Plus without the shrinkage factor of plastic, this one will be 6" longer.   

Kayaks don't have the stress blows a mountain bike takes...    Depending on how they're layed up it can take a substantial landing on a rock without  penetrating the hull.   Carbon is easy to patch,, much like patching any fiberglass boat.    Most every beach I land/ launch at is sand .  If it's rocky I'll just get out early and drag it over the rocks.   
   "Keel Easy" strips should take away the worry about scratches.    Wouldn't ya know,,,  I stopped by Head Waters shop on Monday to pick up some of those.... " Closed Mondays" :smt005

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
         11.5 lbs was the actual weight of the top half.    I figure once the two are mated,, hatches, foot-braces etc added, it will be just under 30 lbs.      Still that's nearly 40 lbs shaved off the poly version!
   Started shaping the scuppers yesterday...  also fitting in a bulkhead  in order to create a floatation chamber, in the event of .....  a shark tooth penetrating the hull.  :smt002

This will be interesting to see how the light weight effects the speed.  Plus without the shrinkage factor of plastic, this one will be 6" longer.   

Kayaks don't have the stress blows a mountain bike takes...    Depending on how they're layed up it can take a substantial landing on a rock without  penetrating the hull.   Carbon is easy to patch,, much like patching any fiberglass boat.    Most every beach I land/ launch at is sand .  If it's rocky I'll just get out early and drag it over the rocks.   
   "Keel Easy" strips should take away the worry about scratches.    Wouldn't ya know,,,  I stopped by Head Waters shop on Monday to pick up some of those.... " Closed Mondays" :smt005

I've seen reps use a hammer on composite kayaks to show strength. I would not try that on my carbon bike.
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

I've seen reps use a hammer on composite kayaks to show strength. I would not try that on my carbon bike.
Jim says .... bring you're own hammer!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Inserts  all positioned, Scuppers,   added water tight  bulk-head...   mating flange, then bonded the two halves together yesterday.

Getting closer...  ! 
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
That's a beauty Jim!  :smt007
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Awe inspiring!

40 pound diet!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
wow--pretty darn cool

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'm tellin ya, that 'ol dog'll hunt!
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Need2hav

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Haha! I was there a couple days ago and picked up that kayak. No sense weighing it. It was so light. I think the cheapest smallest 6' kid kayak I've lifted is heavier than this new Raptor II (Did you even named you new kayak yet?).

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
              With the increased dimensions, and 40 lbs lighter.  That should put the weight capacity at 400 lbs!

Inserts bonded in at all the necessary areas.   Seat mount is ready.   Still have to make the hatches, then just need the final coat of paint.   
       After all these hours / days  / weeks / months even... the first one is mine !       

Now,,, what to name it ?   
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

anything