Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Getting this off my chest! Kayakers vs. Boaters  (Read 8387 times)

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I know this topic has been been beaten to death over the years but i needed to get this off my chest. As a kayak fisherman I try to be an good ambassador to our sport which means I respect others on the water, however, I think someone should teach that to PB.

Fished a lot during the week during the WSB run. From my observations I rarely saw any kayakers disrespect the boaters however numerous times i saw boaters run right through our fleet and cussed us out????  :smt013  :smt013 :smt013

Alshobie got into it with one of the boaters. At least 3 times boaters yelled at me that there was a GWS hanging around (Think Scare tatic). One asshole also yelled out "HEY I heard GWS love Kayaks!!" ????? WTF?... However, I notice they shut up pretty quick once i turned on my Go Pro. I guess a  little respect goes a long way, to bad we aren't getting any!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:21:26 AM by Lost_Anchovy »
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Keith -

Most of the PB guys are cool but when you get that many boats out there, there are always going to be a few jerks. I personally have never had any issues but have heard some trash on the VHF. It is not just with kayaks either, I have heard them go after each other. I keep my distance, Treat them with respect and make sure they all get a good look at my fish before I head in.  :smt007

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

wlshafor

• Salmon
  • Warren
  • View Profile Colorblind Designs
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
They are rude on lakes, rivers and any where els that they can float! When I take the canoe out i feel like they are trying to make user tip over!

That's why i take pictures and I have even reported a few while being at a lake.

Just hang in there not all boaters are assholes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meat Hunter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Totally hear you on that one and WSB seem to make those the pbers go nuts. In Monterey I have witnessed near fish fight senarios between the pb guys because they all race to the boat that hooks up and that guy gets pissed. I've had several drop in me and fish 20 yds away like I wasn't even there. Seems to be why I don't fish WSB unless I am with company.

As a side note I have fished around the hook and line commercial guys quite a bit and they are different for sure. Maybe it's the fact they they are OTW the most or that they nail fish like no other. I actually enjoy fishing around the live RF guys when I'm solo and have had many good conversations with em.
327# L - 93# RF

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The reason I got a kayak instead of a PB was so I could be by myself when I wanted to, for some R&R and not have to worry about someone else.  I like to nap on the water and there have been a couple of times when I get woken up because a PB pulls up next to me (within normal talking distance), drops lines, and starts fishing - most of time I'm not even catching fish.   :smt044 If you're going to fish that close to someone, at least make sure they're catching fish.     :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

On Saturday, I only had 3 hours of sleep and was "trooching" all morning for nada.  Around 10am I thought I'd take a nap.  I drop my line, take a nap, and after a couple of minutes I can hear a boat coming close, they shut off their motor, and then they start their drift.  They were so close to me but instead of saying something to them, i get up and start to peddle away from them.  As I'm peddling away, I get bit and the fight is on.  I hear one of the guys on the pb say "f this, i can't catch fish so i'm just going to sit here and watch this kayaker fight this fish".  The two guys are literally sitting on their bow eating popcorn, watching me try to land this fish.  At this time, i'm getting dragged closer and closer to the pb.  It gets so close, I had to put my hand on the pb to push off.  The guys finally get the hint and back off a bit to give me some space.  I was so pissed that instead of dropping my line for another try for another bite, I took my fish, bit my tongue, and went away.   :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

I try my best to be respectful and keep my distance from pbers.  But damn, some of those PBers drive me nutz! 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:33:24 PM by str8fishin »
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Food for thought ...

The quiet word around the harbor is that a lot of kayakers are NOT respecting the rules of the road when it comes to WSB.  When you reach the end of your drift, do not traverse through the fleet to set up for the next one.  Go around them.

And if you get a few fish, do NOT broadcast your numbers for all to hear.  You may not mind a few friends coming over, but that PBer next to you may.  Not saying you shouldn't call your friends in, but at least call them on the cell phone instead of broadcasting it.

-Allen

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Lets not stereotype or generalize PBers.  One of them saved my ass when I had an encounter with Mr. GWS.
The boat driver and passengers came to my rescue immediately and towed my damaged Revo w/c was half full of water back to Capitola Wharf.

Then there's the idiots who don't slow down that can capsize us.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I agree there are decent PBers out there who are courteous and pay attention and others that are jerks. When I was out Tuna fishing the radio had a few PBers talking smack to each other, for me it was entertainment (heard a guy say hey get your ski boat out of here, get out of my way your near my lines!)..just like driving a car on the freeway, some slower drivers then others you get your mix of crazies. One things for sure it's nice to have the extra company out on the water when I'm out kayaking alone.
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I've only been kayaking for about a year, but have owned/ operated a boat my entire life.  Seeing the water as a yaker has totally altered how manage my boat, not only to be curteous to kayaks on the water, but also to other boaters.   There are definitely people on the water with little disrespect for everyone else, but I think that many PBs just don't recognize yaks as other "vessels" on the water. 

I have just become super defensive when approaching other boats on the water and assume that every one sucks, so keep my distance and try to stay alert.

Sent from AnglingWes.com mobile HQ.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Some PB's operators are courteous, others aren't.  Had a great chance to talk to a few from my kayak during the PIF event in Monterey a couple months ago.  Maybe it was "all good" because there were soooo many of us out there.  The only "bad" one that day that several of us encountered was the dive charter boat that ran at speed right at the yellow can & turned through the fleet of kayaks and PB's alike to head off to the dive spot.  Not once backing down on his speed.  A licensed operator should know better given he/she had paying clients on-board that looked quite shocked they were powering through a fleet of other boats.  Quite disappointed in that particular Monterey based dive boat operator/operation for allowing that to happen.  As a power boat and sailboat operator myself (private, not for hire or commercial), I try to apply the "do unto others as ... " blah, blah, blah ... you get what I mean.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
99.9% of the pbers I've encountered (within talking distance) have been pleasant.  I try to wave "Hi" to everyone that comes in close just to spread the positive vibe and to let them know I'm there/thank them for not running me over  :smt044.  There's always going to be dummies wherever you go...
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The ones I had conversations with that day while feeding the salmon were quite nice.  Some were inquiring regarding the overwhelming number of us out there that day.  The other thing we all need to be a little cautious of is the manner in which we use the VHF.  I don't believe that anything bad or offensive was said but it's always something to keep in mind because it all ties back to NCKA and the public perception of all kayak's in general.

vin60

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
i actually had a good experience last saturday. my line got snagged and a pber drifted over it. he was helpful in getting my line popped off and we ended up discussing how the fishing was. they were nailing the rockfish. nice bunch of guys. hopefully i dont meet someof those aholes but the way i look at it if we all act as kind as we can we should be able to get along easily. if someone has trash to say in one ear out the other. paddle away. remember they spent more money on their single trip out than we do in 10 trips. they may be grumpy because of that.. oh well.. thems the breaks. see you guys outh there on the water.

vin
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 (2012)

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." Sun Tzu

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
remember they spent more money on their single trip out than we do in 10 trips. they may be grumpy because of that..

You said a mouthful there.