Kayak Zone > Places to Launch and Camp

Salt Point State Park - launch intel needed

(1/5) > >>

HamachiJohn:
I've never been to Salt Point, and had questions about the following:

1. Able to launch Kayaks?
2. Where do you park?  the overflow parking lot?
3. The distance from parking to launch manageable? Can I unload near the launch and then park?
4. Is there an envelope to put in the day use fee?

It's amazing how I've always gone to the same places (FR, TC, OC) to launch, and never bothered to explore further along the Sonoma coast.  Or maybe those are the only readily accessible kayak launch sites along that stretch of the Sonoma coast?

Thanks in advance

Hamachi

Chet:

--- Quote from: hamachijohn on October 04, 2017, 10:55:52 AM ---I've never been to Salt Point, and had questions about the following:

1. Able to launch Kayaks?
2. Where do you park?  the overflow parking lot?
3. The distance from parking to launch manageable? Can I unload near the launch and then park?
4. Is there an envelope to put in the day use fee?

It's amazing how I've always gone to the same places (FR, TC, OC) to launch, and never bothered to explore further along the Sonoma coast.  Or maybe those are the only readily accessible kayak launch sites along that stretch of the Sonoma coast?

Thanks in advance

Hamachi

--- End quote ---

1- Yes
2- A lot of place to park
3- The launch is hard. Steep, need to lift drag kayak over rock.
4- A ranger at the booth to pay

Dale L:

--- Quote from: hamachijohn on October 04, 2017, 10:55:52 AM ---I've never been to Salt Point, and had questions about the following:

1. Able to launch Kayaks? YES
2. Where do you park?  the overflow parking lot? MAIN LOT JUST ABOVE THE LAUNCH
3. The distance from parking to launch manageable? YES Can I unload near the launch and then park? YES
4. Is there an envelope to put in the day use fee? YES

Thanks in advance

Hamachi

--- End quote ---

I haven't been there this year but haven't heard of any changes from the past, unloading is at the end of a steep paved road, then getting to the launch (guess less than 100 ft) is over boulders but very doable with 2 people, doable with one but rough, as I remember wheels aren't usable over those boulders.

Launch is in Gerstle cove, very protected, SMR, but open season just outside the cove, well marked with yellow pole and painted rock.

Used to be lots of productive fishing and abs north and south,

Dale L:
Also, about 2 miles north is the southern boundry of the Stewarts Pt SMR, but I can't see you going that far, plenty of good structure just outside of Gerstle Cove.

VK:
There are  NO fish there ,only GWS ..all the fish left... and seals... lots of seals ....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version