Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie AI trailer mods  (Read 2070 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I added some PVC bunks to my Trailex trailer. It looks like it'll work well to haul the AI, and it's way, way cheaper than the Hobie cradles.

Hopefully, one of these days I'll actually get a chance to test it out...

Let me know if you want any more details.

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
[emoji106]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2015 TI
2017 Outback

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Looks good! Just an FYI in case you didn't already know......you can heat up pvc with a torch and bend any curve you want to it without damaging the integrity of the pipe. This is stronger and cheaper than using 90* and 45* fittings.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'd get some carpet and cover the clamps.id worry about them digging into the hull if for some reason when your loading it and it angled wrong.otherwise looks good
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Looks good! Just an FYI in case you didn't already know......you can heat up pvc with a torch and bend any curve you want to it without damaging the integrity of the pipe. This is stronger and cheaper than using 90* and 45* fittings.

Salty, don't you have to fill the bend area with sand to keep it from collapsing?

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Done that a few times on 3/4 pipe, but the fumes would be too much for me on something of this size. And I found it difficult to get a decent looking bend.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

Salty, don't you have to fill the bend area with sand to keep it from collapsing?

No. Once it cools it's good to go. You're only heating the pipe up enough to make your bend and not trying to melt thru.
At work we have an electric pipe heating tool that we plug in, lay the pipe inside, and let it heat up without having to worry about goofing up with a torch. Definitely easier but the little propane torch can get the job done too.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Good to know, I'll give it a try.  Thanks!
No. Once it cools it's good to go. You're only heating the pipe up enough to make your bend and not trying to melt thru.
At work we have an electric pipe heating tool that we plug in, lay the pipe inside, and let it heat up without having to worry about goofing up with a torch. Definitely easier but the little propane torch can get the job done too.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Finally tested it out at Lexington yesterday and it works great. If I was doing it over again, I'd use the gray PVC conduit, as it's UV resistant...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
After another test run, it seemed the bunks were a little low and could just barely brush on the plastic fender causing a vibration. So, since I had to take it apart anyway, I decided to upgrade to version 2.0.

This one uses gray PVC conduit, which is supposed to be UV resistant. This design is simpler and more rigid. The only tricky part was mounting 2" pipe directly on top of another 2" pipe (the forward ama support). I used some scrap 3/4" starboard plastic for that---might be easier ways to do that, but it works...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009

Wildrooster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
looking good
i need to show my trailer some love
i may try something like that    :smt001
glade you made it
now let's get our fish on

Ascend FS128T
Hobie AI yellow

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
looking good
i need to show my trailer some love
i may try something like that    :smt001

It's been working very well, with dozens of launches/landings and a couple of longer-distance drives on it. Did make one slight mod from what is shown here... I'll try to post pictures of that later...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I liked your bunks so much I built my own for use on standard load bars.  What I really like about the design is that the designed 8' length extends well back enough to be able to get the boat up onto the bunk without messing up the vehicle.  It makes solo loading much easier and seems to be much better on the boat since the contact area is so much greater.

The one caution I have is that I constructed mine to match the width of the central keel bulge that Hobies have, and in doing so I overlooked the plastic Venturi scupper vent which is now in direct conflict with the PVC.  ....Good thing the piping is flexible enough to be pushed aside by hand; hopefully I won't damage the vent.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
... the designed 8' length extends well back enough to be able to get the boat up onto the bunk without messing up the vehicle.  It makes solo loading much easier and seems to be much better on the boat since the contact area is so much greater.

From the trailer, I can easily launch on most ramps without getting the axle or hubs wet, which is a big plus in saltwater.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia