Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK Two-peat by Pat  (Read 5242 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Pat Kuhl does it again!.  It would take three of his halibuts from this year to equal his flatty from last, but he pulled the rabbit outta the hat again.

WTG SinCoast Pat Kuhl!!!

Great derby guys and gals.  Thanks so much for your continuing support of MBK Derby and by extension, the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project.  Despite the somewhat late announcement of this contest, we had a record number of participants- 68.

The weather was cooperative, and the seas were flat.  After the 6am parking lot prep, everyone met on the beach for a Monte Carlo start.

The Hotel area is knkow for halibut this time of year and Pat fished there, of course.  he got a nice 12-pounder  using squid and a complicated rig that I can't even remember.  Two hooks, I remember that!  For his big fish of the day, Pat went home with a brand- new Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7.  And, he derserves it.  It's been a good year for Sincoast!!

We saw a lot of cookie cutter lings, five or six within a half-pound of each other.  That was tough, but 2d place was eventually snaggged by Keith Nguyen, Lost Anchovie, with a 7-pound, 5-ounce snaggle-tooth.   And he went home with a new PFD!

A six pound, 12 ounce ling netted Ty Do 3d spot on the leader board.

Robert Culver , "Rob" was in first place for a long time, with a 6.11 Ling, and Scott Gee, Great Bass 2 right behind him with a 6.8

The dogs were huge, thanks Scott for cooking up a storm, and thanks fto MBK for hosting this Derby once again.  Special thanks also to ocean kayaks, and Mike Mowrey of Tsunami Sales and Marketing for providing the Ultra-Cool 1st Prize!

Enjoy the shots I took, and post your own!!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:27:32 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
More-  thanks!!!!!!!!

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

CappyMoMo.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I'm smiling right now thinking about all of it.  Thanks for the great job Bushy dude.  Congrats Pat. 

Good times.

Eric Morgan
Trident Ultra 4.7
Not the guy selling the Outback
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.plantfertility.com
Trident Ultra 4.7
Morgan Consulting LLC Agronomy Pro Staff
Hating the Seahawks and the Raiders cause they suck.

bloodbath

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Two-peat Pat! lol. Local's rule.
2011 Albion Open 1st place
2014 Lowrance Rockfish Classic 1st place
Kayaks are cool!

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Looks liek a great time. I'm sad to have missed it.

Congratulations Pat!
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thanks for the kind words guys. I certainly appreciate it.
Props to MBK for another successful tourney and big thanks to Mike Mowery & Ocean Kayaks. That Ultra 4.7 is a killer kayak and am very grateful to win it. Oh yeah, and then there's Allen Bushnell -- none of this is possible without your hard work, dedication, and enthusiasm for the madness. You're like the cool, salty Uncle I never had!

I took my sweet ass time launching because everybody was busting balls saying they were going to follow me to the secret spot...so I let everybody get a head start then got onto my Hobie Revolution and pedaled my butt all the way north of Sand City.

It was surprisingly clear early but the fog rolled in by the time I got to the fleet off seaside by MY6 buoy. There was a fleet of boats fishing halibut there the last few days so I kinda knew there was a good bite going. At one point, I counted 19 boats and 3 kayaks in the area. Most of the contestants spread out towards Cannery Row, the mile buoy, or the beach hotel.
But I was on a mission to get me a butt and the fog provided a timely smokescreen. Queue the A-Team theme song! 

The sanddabs were plentiful and there are still tons of octopi. I bagged about a dozen octopi before releasing the rest...pulling up 2-4 at a time, even clinging to my sinker! Drifting was a waste of bait, so I deployed my patented three-way straw rigs LOL and got my trooch on. The straw keeps the line from wrapping as I drop it down...because if you don't keep moving forward while letting line, it'll get all tangled, especially when using 3 different types of lines/diameters. This can be tricky in a kayak.

I gave it a nice long leader of 14lb mono to the 6oz cannonball sinker and shortened my leader to 30" w/a 5/0 octo & 4/0 ahi stinger. Slowly working my way along the 60-70ft contour, I was still hooking a few octopussies but not nearly as bad as when I drifted. I was running out of squid and began prepping a bounce-ball rig when I saw Dan trolling  towards me. That's when my rod pumped twice then started pulling drag! This could be the one! I engaged the reel and knew immediately it was a halibut. I slowly cranked it up, trying not to horse it.
Target Confirmed: "it's a butt!" But the stinger hook was barely dangling...crap! Normally I play out my fish but this situation required a hot gaff. So I sunk the gaff and got her on the gameclip in 1 swoop...it went nuts on the surface and my hooks (w/half a squid dangling) went flying past my face and over the kayak haha! Talk about luck!
The fish looked about 32" and maybe 15lbs...but maybe big enough to win the Tourney. I commenced to kayak multitasking--beating the crap out of this fish's skull while poppin' tabs on Coors and hustling back to the beach. I was maybe 4 miles away when I hooked up, so it was a long paddle/pedal home. It was a sloppy paddle and I was in a buzzed/super-stoked/euphoric/victorious/delerious state of mind. Plus I was hungry. So it was perfect timing to intercept Etienne on his fully-rigged Hobie Adventure Island---he has a sweet BBQ on the yak and was grillin up some brats! Thank you man, it was perfect.

Back on the beach with 10 minutes to spare, I lugged my fish across the beach to the weigh-in table. 12lbs even and the current leader. Well that 10 minutes took forever, but after final call that was it...I won again! Ha, maybe I should buy some lotto tickets. 

My family was already planning to meet me at the beach after weigh-in for some beach-time. But when they showed up, and I said I won...they thought I was full of shit (again). Just in time for the awards ceremony LOL. Then we played on the beach for a few hours before going home to make fish tacos & watch the Niners get their asses kicked...ouch! :-( I guess I can't have everything.

OK enough talking, errr bragging. Here's the part you scrolled down for = pictures!
Unfortunately, I didn't take that many. Too busy having fun.

Clear upon launch

Selfie with a Butt on my lap

I got Etienne to snap a pic for me but his dang BBQ is in the shot haha!

His rig OTW

Parking lot glory shot LOL

Beach day was successful

Fish tacos were delicious. I think my wife is more stoked on the fish than the kayak. But my daughter Rosie was not so stoked on the fish...she wouldn't get near the thing, even with a glove!

Ahh, lest I forget...here is my patented three-way straw rig!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:06:54 AM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats to the prize winners and all participants.  You all are winners in my book.  Sorry I missed this event due to work schedule!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

JJQ

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Congrats Pat! 

Way to do it again!

Josh

Angler

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Congratulations Pat.  On another note- that flexi straw anti tangle device is ingenious. 

Aaron
Take some, but save some for later.
1st Place Yakhoppers 2013 Delta Kayak Maddness (Striper Division)
Hobie Outback
WS Tarpon 120

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Congratulations on the back to back wins Pat!
Nice halibut too :smt006
~MarcosM~

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
very interesting. I like the straw rig. thanks for the info sincoast.  :smt006
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nice going Pat! Pat has SKIILLLZZZ - he  always catches his target fish - that says a lot. It's not luck anymore, It's called knowledge, patience and perseverance.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Right on, Pat.

Congrats.

Hmmm. First Joe, then Pat. Maybe there's some kind of Islander "Big Three" mojo type of thing going on and I'm up next to win Cambria?

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...