Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Singapore fishing?  (Read 879 times)

Navin_R_Johnson

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I'm heading to Singapore next month for 2 weeks and thinking about packing my rod for some peacock bass. 

Wondering if anyone here has fished Singapore that might be able to offer some tips? 
Doesn't sound like I need a guide to go for them, just find a pond and talk to the locals?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My only advice is to stay away from those crazy rich Asians...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I didn't see anyone fishing by the coast, but I did see a few guys fishing the main canal. They used bait and bobber. Their equipment and style of fishing is very different. The fish I saw them catch were small, looked something like mullet. You might as well leave the rod at home and just enjoy the scenery and food.

And I don't think you can stay away from those crazy rich asians cause they're everywhere  :smt003

SeaHP Angler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I spent my last vacation in downtown Singapore and there was absolutely no fishing in the bays but some of the best food i've ever had. They did it right to confine the littering issue from fishing and make local pools for locals to fish in. It was literally the cleanest city i've ever visited. 

Singapore has a lot to offer and thrives on tourism. I stayed at Hotel G ($80/night) and they gave me my own cell phone with free data and free international calling! There's a lot of high end stores but the food and transportation is cheap. Uber everywhere! and you must try the famous Michelin rated 328 Katang Laksa. Just thinking of it... :drool
The Fleet:
Hobie Revolution 13
12' Gregor/15Hp Honda
26' Robalo 2640/Twin 225 Optimax

Navin_R_Johnson

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
HA, Thanks for the warning.  I'll look out for the crazy rich Asians!

Thanks for the tips folks.  So far I've found a reservoir near my hotel that holds Peacock bass.  I'm sticking with the Peacock because I've never had a chance for them on my travels and it sounds like I can pack a light rig with minimal tackle.  3-4 lbs. is a big Peacock over there but they're supposed to be a real fun fight.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I go to Singapore quarterly, but haven't given much thought to fishing there yet.  Would be very interested in any more thoughts on this.

BTW, Uber is no longer in Singapore.  They sold out to Grab.  Get the Grab app before you go.  Grab is very convenient, although regular taxi's are common place and relatively cheap.  However, I've been in some situation in which getting a Grab ride was much more convenient and easier than finding a taxi.  Bottom line, be prepared for either option.

And yes, hit the Hawker Stalls for a great food experience.  There are Hawker Stalls everywhere in Singapore. It's a big deal there.  I usually just get in the longest line and haven't been disappointed yet.  I figure if others are lining up, the food must be good!

-Allen

-Allen

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
BTW, Uber is no longer in Singapore.  They sold out to Grab.

Not sure I'd want to get in a stranger's car that goes by the name of Grab...

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
BTW, Uber is no longer in Singapore.  They sold out to Grab.

Not sure I'd want to get in a stranger's car that goes by the name of Grab...

Grab took over all of Uber's SE Asia operations.

-Allen

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Fishing in Singapore sounds exciting. Let us know how you did.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Navin_R_Johnson

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The travel tips are appreciated folks!  I'll be with a work partner that's been there a few times already to show me the ropes but, it never hurts to get more info from others.

I been getting some good hits on searches and now have a good idea what to pack for tackle.  Still need to pick up a 2 pice rod and a few lures to pack with. 

Fishing day is about 4 weeks out but I'll report back and fill you all in.  I'm exited to go for Peacock but wouldn't complain if a monster snakehead hit me while i"m there.  I might check out some of the other fishing scenes if I have enough time.   

Navin_R_Johnson

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Report time.
I spent about 4 hours at Bedok reservoir yesterday and got 1 dink, consider me skunked.  I wanted to stay longer but the humidity was too much for me (90F @ 80%RH). I had to take a break in the shade every 20-30 minutes to cool down and drink.  The water was calling out for me to take a dip and cool off but law here says it's too dangerous I guess.
I wanted to have another go at a different spot today but weather didn't cooperate. Heavy rain West of me where my next spot was.

The Singapore river on the South end of the island on the other hand is teaming with fish.  I sighted a big school (20-30) of peacock, about 3 different kinds of catfish and what I think, from the brief glance, was a snakehead.  Really unfortunate it's all restricted for fishing.

Overall it was a great way to spend the day as I don't like the tourist attraction crap.  Locals I got skunked with were a good bunch to shoot the breeze with and willing to share tips. Nice weekend off work  :smt001

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Thanks for the report. Not to threadjack, but just wondering if anybody here has ever fished in Taiwan...