Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pigeon Point 05/17/2008: A Lesson Learned.  (Read 3203 times)

Goutless Angler

• Mike - HAC
  • Salmon
  • 10lb Helmet Tigerfish
  • View Profile Why are these yaks retired!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Greetings,

I wish I was be able to add a "We nailed rockfish!" post to the Fishing Report section of the forum, but unfortunately this is not the case.  I almost lost a friend to the Big Blue on Saturday afternoon.  A couple days after the horrific event, I received his permission to share the story with the rest of the NCKA.  Below is a narrative of the events that transpired on that Saturday.

Pigeon Point 05/17/08

The three of us, Loomis, Chairman, and myself, have "planned" to harvest the area south of Pigeon Point.  We've been talking about this for days.  The excitement is building up to finally take our P15s into the Big Blue and to get a great start on RF season.  [Pseudonums were used to keep the privacy of the parties involved.]

We get off to a late start and arrive at Pigeon Point around 11am.  The weather report indicated it would be 70's coastline.  It just happened that this particular stretch of coastline was not living up to expectations.  Water temperature was at a nippy 49°F.  Wind was mild at the start of the launch.

The launch from the protected cove is negotiated with relative ease.  Chairman has paddled out a good 5-10 minutes before Loomis and I hit the water.  There are some party boats in the area, so we're thinking fish...fish...fish!  We make begin to paddle so that we can regroup with the Chairman.  He's about 1/2 mile WSW of the lighthouse. 

After 15 minutes of paddling Loomis voices his concern about his ability to navigate the waters.  At this point the current and wind have picked up.  I radio into the Chairman to discuss the issue about our groups capabilities.  Loomis and I receive a report that the conditions are more mild in the Chairmans area. 

Against our better judgment we decide to paddle further to regroup.  Loomis and I felt that once regrouped we could reassess the conditions. Another concern was not wanting to leave a group member alone.  Upon arriving at the Chairman's location, the appraisal was less than we had hoped for.  We decide to abort.

We're about 1/2 mile out with increasing winds by the moment.  Our main objective now was to reach that cove and to use the lighthouse as a marker.  We were fortunate not to have any sea fog at the time.  As the water conditions continued to change the 3 of us began spreading apart further.  The distance between each paddler had now increased to over 25 yards.  Maintaining a visual on each of group members became much more challenging with the swells.

Loomis and I enter a section of the water that had sharp increase in water speed and wind.  At this time, I had to focus on controlling the kayak and self preservation.  This area of compromising waters is where I lost a visual on Loomis.  15-20 minutes later I land in the cove somewhat exhausted and I look back.  Loomis was nowhere to be seen.

Moments after my landing, the Chairman radioes about Loomis' location.  I reply, "No visual on Loomis from my position."  The Chairman is still on the water and begins to scan around for Loomis.  No luck.  We decide to hail the USCG.  I was not able to contact the USCG from my position at the beach cove.  Running up to the lighthouse point I try again with no response.  I make a mad dash to the visitor/hostel located in at the lighthouse and use their phone to dial 911.

The Pescadero Fire Department, Local Sheriff, Search & Rescue have been deployed.  These first responders arrive within 10 minutes.  The staff at the hostel loan us some binoculars to scan the water.  Still no sign of Loomis.  The situation looks increasingly grim as more than 45 minutes pass by.

The sheriff begins to ask for a description of Loomis and his boat.  Loomis' boat is olive.  He is wearing dark blue and black.  He has no VHF radio.  He has no helmet.  Calls to his cell phone go directly to voicemail.  Shortly after answering the questions I hear on the radio chatter what I feared most.  Search and rescue have found the olive kayak without the paddler.  My heart drops out of my chest.  What am I going to tell his wife and parents?  I stare out to the ocean and I faintly hear Loomis' voice calling my name.

Is he crying out from the dead?  NO, he's running toward us and ALIVE!!!  Holy Mother of Lord...  He had crash landed onto the shoreline about 1/4 mile south of our position.  His cellphone was waterlogged and inoperable.  Trying to hitchhike on Highway 1 proved to be a challenge.  Loomis had to make is way up the highway to our location soaking wet.

Loomis gets a thorough examination from EMS.  He is given a clean bill of health.  We thank all the people that responded.  The USCG even calls back to make sure all is well. 

Surprisingly enough, Loomis walks away with NO injuries.  Not even a scrape or scratch.  The 5+mm wetsuit took a beating.  The only things lost was fishing tackle and maybe a bit of pride.  We did recover the kayak.

In hindsight, as you all know is 20/20, we should have all had radios and aborted the moment anyone had doubts.  The group is only as strong as its most inexperienced paddler.

Below are pictures of the crash site and Loomis recovering his kayak.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:11:58 PM by Goutless Angler »
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Thanks for sharing that experience.  I'm glad everyone is okay.  It's an important reminder of how ocean conditions can instantly turn on us and we all need to be prepared.  I've been caught in sudden gusts or changing ocean winds on several occasions and was worried if I would ever make it back.  My close calls have made me more cautious and concerned about forecasted conditions (which you can't depend on either).

You summed up some valuable lessons when you said:
In hindsight, as you all know is 20/20, we should have all had radios and aborted the moment anyone had doubts.  The group is only as strong as its most inexperienced paddler.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:29:47 PM by ChuckE »
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Frankfishing

I sure am glad it turned out the way it did!
I have been caught in less than favorable conditions and have had to beach on the Big Sur coast. Better to swallow ego , I am glad you posted this incident. I'm sure it will serve as a warning to all how humbling the big blue can be.
Better being seen then viewed.  Kayaking first and fishing second.
Again thanks for the report.

pescadore

Nice post and lesson.  Hindsight is 20/20, so don't get yourself bent about it.  We can't cover all the bases all the time.  If we wanted something predictable and safe, we'd stay home and watch tv.  You guys did good.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Thanks for the post. Live and learn, learn and live :smt002

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks So Much for Sharing...

Great Description on How you became separated on the water,

It happens Very easily and Really Glad Your all Safe,

With all the New Blood here,

it's best to think out the worst possible situation that can Happen to you out there..

And plan accordingly..... :smt002
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
The limits of capabilities and the worst weather scenario are things that should be foremost in our minds at all times - river, lake, ocean or pond.  Having an "out" in a situation like that is crucial.  Before ever entering the water it would be good to have a planned bail out spot like Franklin Point in that case.  The point about all parties staying in contact is a good one.  The quick and thorough response sounds like an excellent effort.  Way to end the day.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Goutless Angler

• Mike - HAC
  • Salmon
  • 10lb Helmet Tigerfish
  • View Profile Why are these yaks retired!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Good afternoon,

We're all very happy that the events turned out to be the way it unfolded.  The day after was spent purchasing safety related gear at West Marine and Aquan.

Loomis picked up the following items:
Plano 1612 (water-resistant storage box)
Orion Flare Gun
Signaling Devices
Compass
VHF Radio
New Wetsuit
Bowline

Here's a shout out to Mooch from Loomis.  Loomis remembered to keep his head underwater for a few moments instead of popping up after a wet exit.  He didn't hit his head against the kayak.

The following weekend, we spent several hours at Parkside Aquatic Park practicing self-rescue on our fully loaded boats.  Andy at the Aquan Boathouse was nice enough to offer a few pointers and to provide overwatch if we were in trouble.

We practiced the following:

1) Cowboy reentry - straddling from the bow back to the cockpit
2) Starboard reentry
3) Port reentry
4) Righting a capsized boat
5) Swimming to recover a kayak that is floating away.
6) Towing
7) Partner assisted exercises for items 1 through 4 (Both T and Parallel)
8) "Rapid Deployment"  :smt003 - Paddling at full speed and falling into the drink.

Conditions varied from being calm to a windy.  Water temperature was not even close to the 49°F.   

-------
The level of difficulty during reentry is increased when the kayak is loaded with gear.  Reentry with a bare bones boat and PFD with empty pockets is fairly easy.  Once the kayak and PFD were outfitted for a fishing excursion reentry dynamics were vastly different.

Our Plano 1612 filled with water after numerous dumps.  Fortunately, all the gear was waterproofed.  It filled up about half way and was noticeably heavier.  Combined with the 2L of drinking water I normally carry, it made righting the capsized boat more of a challenge.

The hatch on the P15 does a pretty decent job of keeping a lot of the water out.  We must've capsized the boats over 15 times.  Water did enter but not to a point that it would adversely affect paddling.

Reentry toward the end of the day proved to be exceedingly more demanding as the day had progressed.  My whole body was sore from the swimming and reentry practice. 

On a side note, we were able to stand in the P15.  We were challenged by some other kayakers on the water.  Representing NCKA!

إن شاء الله
Mike

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Way to go & practice the safety stuff!

Also a great list of the "must haves" too.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
There have been several notable "events" between PP and BH, and I'm sure there will be more.  My first trip out I did almost the same thing as your friend, but I was able to get a ride back to the launch point, (and I'm not the only one who's done it).

First thing I did the next day was order all that stuff I thought was optional equipment.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:49:30 PM by Eric B »

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Posted humblings as these are what makes OUR GROUP all the BETTER!
Glad no one was hurt and ALL gear recovered.
Just sharing your ordeal could save someone/group from the same event or better yet?
A LIFE! 
thanks for swallowin the group's pride and posing it up!
...some think that the Ocean is not influenced by tidal flow, but when it comes to DEEP WATER close to SHALLOW areas?...there' is gonna be some Xtra-unforseen current sweeping over the shallow spots and points.
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Thanks for sharing,

I've always told my kids that it's OK to learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have to make them all yourself, however it seems that sooner or later we all do our best to make them for ourselves.....

I know my dive buddies and I certainly went against our better judgement a few times over the years,

sometimes with no consequences and sometimes finishing the day feeling lucky to be in one piece.

thanks again, perhaps it'll keep someone safer

dale

anything