Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Which line?  (Read 2378 times)

FishFarmer

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
So, I got a rod and reel. My goal, eventually, is to fly-fish saltwater and maybe freshwater bass.

I'm guessing that in the end I'll be using sinking line mostly, but my reading says it's requisite for beginners to start with floating line. No problem, but man, what a confusing array of stuff.

In shopping around I noticed that Albright had line for about half of what others cost. I'm thinking line is not where you want to go cheap, but Albright seems like a decent endorsement.

Also, I don't really want to turn my back on trout fishing, but streams are hours away. New Melones is pretty close though.

All suggestions welcome!

tia,

Ben
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:54:42 PM by FishFarmer »
I know that I know nothing - Socrates

Monterey10

• Boat Dr.
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I'm no flyfishing expert, but when I fished with flies I had both floating for dry flies and sinking lines for nymphs.  For steel head, we used sinking line with a foot of led core at the end to force the fly down in current.  So, you have different lines for taking the lure to the depth the fish are working.   I would talk with the guys at the San Jose Flycasters club.  They're way ahead in the game and can advise you on the best equipment.
Craig

atavuss

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
this shop should be able to help you with whatever advice and equipment you may need:
http://www.sierraanglers.com/
Fishing is cheaper than therapy!

FishFarmer

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the referrals guys. I'll check them out, especially the Modesto shop.

But I guess what I'm really looking for (I know my post kind of rambled on) is a recommendation (or condemnations <g>) for a brand of floating line in #9(??)wf for my 8/9 rod.

Thanks again,

Ben

pgangler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I have a lot more experience with flyfishing than I do with yakfishing.   If you're talking about lines for dry flyfishing or nymphing in shallow rivers, then I would agree with the floating line (or maybe a sinktip for the shallow rivers).   If you're talking about wet flies either in the salt or in lakes, most of the fish are down near the bottom - so I would go with a hi-density wet line.  They rate wet lines by sink rate, and the higher the sink rate, the faster it sinks.   The tradeoff is that you have to strip them all the way in order to cast - it's very hard to pull a wet line up and get it into the air when it's fully submerged.  Nevertheless, you've got to get the flies where the fish are.   Most fisherman make the mistake of not getting their flies in the zone where the fish are, and then can't understand why they aren't getting hits.   Another tradeoff with wet lines is weight - the ultimate wet lines are just shooting heads that tie onto a monofilament backing.  They sink very fast, but you're slinging the line like a weight, more than casting it.  I would avoid that for now as it's very difficult to cast that sort of line from a yak.

As for brands,  I have found that the finish on the line makes a huge difference in castability - the slicker it is, the easier it is to get a cast out.  That will be important in a yak as you're close to the water, so you lose the height advantage.   Albright does make decent lines.   For an all around product brand, I like Scientific Angler - they have put a lot of research into different line types and have good lines for almost any situation.   Cortland is the old standard, and also makes decent lines - as do Rio and Teeny.   You should be able to get a very good line for $50-$60, and it's certainly worth spending an extra $20 to make sure it's a good line.  You might want to make sure it has a braided loop on the business end - as you're starting out you don't want to get frustrated trying to tie on leaders - it can be tricky.

FWIW.
Ron

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Also consider buying a spare spool because you will eventually need/want more than 1 type of line. And that is often cheaper and easier than purchasing a whole 'nother reel.
Good luck and let us know how ya do!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

FishFarmer

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks Ron, that helped a bunch!

Hey Sin Coast. I'm looking at this, comes with 3 extra spools for a reasonable price:
http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Greys-GRXi-Fly-Reels-P1977C285.aspx

Thanks

Ben

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
It's best to start off with a floating line for sure.  Once you get your casting down then I would venture into casting with sink lines and so on.  If your wanting a specific line for your 8/9wt keep this in mind.  If you put an 8wt line on your rod it will feel stiffer, put a 9wt on and the rod will have a softer feeling.  In my oppinion I like Rio fly lines the best.

anything