Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Spent a thousand dollars Thursday on my stupid dog  (Read 7983 times)

sigelvictory

• Sea Lion
  • ahem, did you not get the memo?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
seriously... no joke... get pet health insurance... it exists, and is well worth it!  dogs just seem to eat money up, sometimes literally!
Never trust a man that doesnt like to fish...

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Unfortunately, I can now contribute to the thread. :smt011

Last Saturday night (2/23) the wife and I came home from dinner. I knocked on the door to get my usual barking greeting from our 12yo Rat terrier mix. I hear him bark once..only once. He always yaps a lot and waits at the door. I open the door and he isn't there, that's a first. I then walk into the house to find him laying next to the wall not looking normal. He looks dead. Looks like he jumped off he bed and did a header into the door jamb. I pick him up and he's limp with no muscle movement, no life in him. Then we notice his eye was looking at me, but he's not breathing. So I started mouth to mouth (or mouth to snout)..nothing happens. I open his mouth and sweep my finger through to open an airway, more mouth to mouth. Then it happened. He started breathing again but he can't move.

We rush him to the emg vet, they look him over and take xrays. They think he broke his neck. The xrays didn't show any breaks in the neck or spine. We leave him there for the night, the wife is crying, we sadly head home. :smt010

Got a call from the vet the next morning. He now has some movement, so we pick him up and bring him home. Set him on the floor and noticed his legs weren't working together. They all go in different directions when he walks. Come to find out he has no feeling in his feet.

A week later he is doing better, eating good, walking like a drunk and improving a little very day.

That experience cost us about $600 and was worth every penny to get him back.

Al
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 03:41:04 AM by alfredo »

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Last Saturday night (2/23) the wife and I came home from dinner. I knocked on the door to get my usual barking greeting from our 12yo Rat terrier mix. I hear him bark once..only once. He always yaps a lot and waits at the door. I open the door and he isn't there, that's a first. I then walk into the house to find him laying next to the wall not looking normal. He looks dead. Looks like he jumped off he bed and did a header into the door jamb. I pick him up and he's limp with no muscle movement, no life in him. Then we notice his eye was looking at me, but he's not breathing. So I started mouth to mouth (or mouth to snout)..nothing happens. I open his mouth and sweep my finger through to open an airway, more mouth to mouth. Then it happened. He started breathing again but he can't move.

We rush him to the emg vet, they look him over and take xrays. They think he broke his neck. The xrays didn't show any breaks in the neck or spine. We leave him there for the night, the wife is crying, we sadly head home. :smt010

Got a call from the vet the next morning. He now has some movement, so we pick him up and bring him home. Set him on the floor and noticed his legs weren't working together. They all go in different directions when he walks. Come to find out he has no feeling in his feet.

A week later he is doing better, eating good, walking like a drunk and improving a little very day.

Al
Wow... what a sad story... with a happy ending.  I hope your dog makes a full recovery.

Al, your dog's lucky you thought to administer doggie CPR. You're a hero. :notworthy:
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005

Al

Great first responder ABC's Alfredo. Hope the pooch gets better.  Keep all us dog lovers updated on the progress!

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
That sucks, Alfredo...I hope your dog pulls through okay. 

My buddy (an American Eskimo) turns 15 next month.  Over the years I've spent at least $3000 on him alone, between teeth cleanings, foxtail removals, and the time his sister and son ganged up on him and tore him a new a-hole (literally...that surgery was $1200 by the time all was said and done).  He has an enlarged heart and has been on meds for the past two years, is missing a lot of his teeth, and is getting progressively more deaf and his eyesight is going.  But he still loves to go anywhere I take him, and plays like the puppy he was when I got him years ago.  He's been worth every penny.
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Hope the pooch gets better.  Keep all us dog lovers updated on the progress!

Thanks for all the nice comments and thoughts. It's funny how we all feel about our old dogs..and what we do to keep them around. They are part of the family! :smt002

Buzz update: he is doing better thank you. He still doesn't have any feeling in one of his front paws. The feeling did return to both hind and one front paw. He has started running again.  The little dog still walks funny, like he over extends the front paws.

His nose is very sore, just touch it and he yelps. He must have rammed it hard into the wall. :smt010

Al

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Hope the pooch gets better.  Keep all us dog lovers updated on the progress!

He must have rammed it hard into the wall. :smt010

Al

I was running with my dog a little while back.  He spied this bitch across the street being walked by a neighbor going in the opposing direction. He kept eyeballing her as we jogged past.  With his head turned over he didn't see this huge white ash tree fast approaching.  BLAM!!!!  Right into the tree.  After he shook it off and I was assured he didn't have any significant damage, i couldn't stop laughing!!  After I told the mrs about the tree incident, we went out and bought him a little muscle T shirt that says "I chase tail."  dogs are complete crackups.