Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Have you ever been spooled by a fish that you were targeting.

Yes
7 (21.9%)
No
25 (78.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Topic: Ever Been spooled?  (Read 3969 times)

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I don't mean any fish but a fish you were targeting and were well prepared for , It's a pretty good rush. If you have tell us about it.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Closest I came was the 38 pounder at Shelter Cove on 9/11/06.  It was running hard and I put my thumb down on my spool in disbelief.  Luckily that fish ran back at me.  It ran away again and again I put my thumb down on the spool to slow it down.  Amazingly, again it ran back at me.  That tired it and I got it in the net.  If that thing would've just kept going one way it would have spooled me.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Fly fishing at Martis Creek Lake. I was using a Sage 389LL with an Orvis CFO III reel.
Three wt double taper floating line with 6x tippet.
I had hooked a few decent sized fish on a size 10 blood midge I tied the day before after watching what was coming off the water.
The fish that spooled me was incredible. On most fish taken at the surface you see the take, raise the rod tip and play out the fish. This was different. I saw the take, then after a brief moment I saw the dorsal fin, then after a brief moment I saw the tail. This thing was HUGE! Right away it started peeling off the line. I was in my float tube and immediately turned around so I could start kicking in the direction of the fish. It was still ripping line. I was thumbing the side of the reel as I was kicking but to no avail. As I had only a few raps of line left on the spool I thumbed down and SNAP, fish gone.
<=>

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Hooked a large sturgeon once as a Kid,

Pump,  Pump... set the hook,  small run....

then slow, methodical peel of line till the end, :smt010

No Contest,  Quite Impressive :tongue2:
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

BigDog

• Salmon
  • View Profile My wildlife habitat project
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I have been spooled twice while fishing for tuna down at the Rancho. Unfortunately, I never saw either one of them. There is a nice little hole a couple miles north of the Rancho where I usually have good luck on tuna. Once the skippies start hitting, I put some weight on one pole and drop it deep. Both times, I knew I had a big one on and set my drag tight enough that the fish would start pulling me and therefore get tired. And on both of these occasions, it was like the fish got wise after a while and just started going deep. In that case, I tighten the drag as much as I can without breaking the line. It usually works but on these two fish, the just kept going until the end of the line.

I still daydream about at least seeing those fish.

I was also spooled once years ago while fishing off of the Alameda Air Station. I was fishing for sturgeon so I was rigged with heavy line and a steel leader. Something grabbed my line and just kept pulling the line out no matter what I did. About 3/4 of the way through my line, I spotted a monster of a ray come to the surface. I pulled like a madman and got it to turn a bit. But then it went down again and took the rest of my line. SNAP!

Jfish

• Salmon
  • del valle day of a lifetime
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
almost happened once about 6 month ago i was fishing at oyster point pier fishing for whatever would hit a live chovie or shiner i was catching with my throw net, i wasn't planning on fishing that day but my buddies called and i went after work not having much gear i grabbed my telescopic 7.5 foot rod lined with 12 pound test (always keep that rod in the car never know when you'll get the call that striper's are at the beach) wanting to catch a striper or even a halibut all i was catching was small sharks and rays when all of a sudden my rod stats to double over and line starts screaming off the real, i ran over set the hook and knew off the bat it must have been a monster ray or possible sturgeon, i could not turn this thing around no matter how hard i tried, then i looked at the real and saw the spool with only 20 feet of line left so i palmed the spool and started playin th banjo with my line (rays hate that and normally turn around as soon as you start) with my luck he turned and ran right at me, i picked up the slack fought him for another hour and finally got him to the pier got him with a weighted gaff on a rope as he was being pulled up the pier by three guys the line on the gaff almost snapped so my buddy got a second gaff in him and we managed to pull a 65#ray up the pier unhooked and back to the ocean for him. BEST FIGHT OF MY LIFE!!! on 12# test what a rush!! not what i was aiming for but i did almost get spooled
Jason   <*){{}}><

A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!!!!!!

Jfish

• Salmon
  • del valle day of a lifetime
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
and another time at chabot last year fishing ultra light gear drop shoting a purple worm i get hit HARD  :smt007 set the hook and this THING ran what felt like a hundred yards in 5 seconds almost spooling me :smt118 and there was nothing i could do to turn this fish around, then it suddenly turned and ran straight at me faster then i could real, i finally caught up with the monster and felt his weight on the line again and i began to real him in when POP fish gone  :smt013 the hook was strait and my plastic worm gone, i wanted to cry, to this day Ive never hooked another fish that fought like this one did never have i had a fish take that amount of line that fast, i guess ill never know what i hooked that day to make myself feel better i keep telling myself i tail hooked a giant carp :smt002
Jason   <*){{}}><

A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!!!!!!

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
been spooled twice. First time was on my ultra lite and fishing for carp in Idaho. Hooked into a big one and spooled me to the not then got stupid and came towards me. Kept him atleast half a spool away for almost 45 minutes till he finally gave up. !8 pounds of ugly carp C&R'd.

Then by the rock wall by Mare Island got a small pump on my sturgeon rig while sitting on the engine cover of my uncles boat. " I got it!" Then I picked up the rod and let it run for a bit before setting the hook. When I did it took me off the engine cover and Lord knows how the heck I didn't get pulled overboard. I finally know the meaning of "squeeze cheeks!" since that was the only thing left on the boat. I got spooled by that fish and never did see it.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Boogied-D

I have been spooled a few times here in Hawaii. the best one was a bull mahi that nailed my rig. I use a Penn 7ft. power stick plus and a Penn 950 ssm spooled with power pro 100lbs test. I was using a large mackerel scad maybe 12 inches long. the initial hit was a sizzler. i did one big jump and i new it was a big one. then the line went slack and i thought i lost him. I was in really shallow water for a mahi that size probably only about 50 feet. I started reeling my line in as fast as i could feeling no tension thinking i had lost him. suddenly about 15 feet from the kayak the monster surfaced. i got a good look at him and it was a huge bull mahi. it was big enough to be in the 50-60lb range. he came up and did a huge splashing 180 turn. just awesome. then it ran like a runaway train and never stopped. they that reel holds 425 yard  of 20 pound diameter. i cracked the drag down as hard as i could but the line was still smoking out then i noticed i was getting to the bottom of the real so i started to palm it to give it more drag. the fish just kept going it got all the way to my knot which i make pretty strong. at that point i thought my line was going to break. the knot and my line held but i felt something give way and he was off. when i reeled in my line i noticed my hooks had bent out. I use mustad ss 6/0 hooks they both were bent. un believable I am amazed at the strength of my rig that those big ass hooks would bend out first. I am thinking he might have been foul hooked cause i could not turn him. hoping to land a pelagic in the 50 pound range soon. aloha  boogie

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I know this is a little old,just came across this thread. 

Almost got spooled!  Was camping at Shasta on the McCloud river arm all the way up by the bridge.  It was evening, and was trying for some panfish.  I was seeing carp (big carp) so I figured what the heck. 
  Using my 5' ugly stik and a shimanoo spirex 1000 reel, 6lb test, I tossed a scented roostertail over to a boiling carp. 
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...        Oh S#$% there it goes!, I started playing my "fighting drag" and reeling like crazy,as I see my spool getting real thin.  I was able to keep the line knot covered, though just barely!  Eventually I started to gain line back, and was loosing less and less line, till I was able to pull the 10-12#er out of the water!
  10min battle to keep my line and I had the, oh maybe 24"er in hand.  Didn't realize until I landed the fish, it was hooked in the doesal fin!  That roosertail won't be hooking any more fish with that hook! 
  I thought for sure I was going to loose all that new line I just put on.  Instead I ended up with a tired forearm!  Released the carp.

Troy

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As a kid fishing off the jetty of the rogue river. I hooked a pig of a salmon that headed up river with the incoming tide and never stopped, despite my 15 lb test.

When fishing at night with spinning reels for trout, one would loosen the drag and wake up the clicker sound. Slept through a bite and woke up to being spooled the next morning. Darn gentleman jack!

-Brian G

sigelvictory

• Sea Lion
  • ahem, did you not get the memo?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Almost, twice... Once was a big buck steelie hooked in the butt in fast water up at the mighty mad, and the other time was a over slot sturgeon on a pb without an anchor release... finally someone got the anchor in and we caught up... both fish eventually landed :D
Never trust a man that doesnt like to fish...

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Almost, twice... Once was a big buck steelie hooked in the butt in fast water up at the mighty mad, and the other time was a over slot sturgeon on a pb without an anchor release... finally someone got the anchor in and we caught up... both fish eventually landed :D

Used to a lot of overnight trips for sturgeon and the rule was always a 3 man crew. One starts the engine, one pulls anchor and the 3rd is fighting the fish.

-Brian G