Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Standing bar ideas?  (Read 4641 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
You're on it...

Just didn't want to see this end badly...
Honestly I find the costs on these as accessories to be price prohibitive.  Native has looked into making their own but I don't know where they stand on that (pun, get it?).  I think its hard to justify whether they will sell enough to make it worth it.  The cheapest ones out there are about $200 and they don't even have the extension for a place to store a paddle.  The best one is the Jackson bar, but you can't order those directly, I think Dan has a special deal with him being able to sell those.

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
You're on it...

Just didn't want to see this end badly...

Much appreciated and good looking out bud! :smt006

I'm not in a huge hurry for this, I think with more practice I could probably stand just fine without one and not even worry about it. I want to get more seat time before I make a ton of modifications.

Santa Cruz Raptor SoT - sold
Hobie Outback - sold
Native Watercraft Slayer 13

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You aren't "planning" on leaning on it, but shit happens.

Maybe consider building in a "weak link" so you'll break the standing bar before you tear apart your hull? Maybe cut the aluminum conduit and join it back together with a balsa wood dowel that will snap or something plastic or rubbery that will deform?

Break the hull ?      You can't be serious....         Ever try to break a piece of polyethylene?      If that happens,,, better start looking for a better built kayak.  I could see it with some of those chinese models that utilize re-grind plastic. 
  The idea of putting in a "weak link"  just begs for a failure to happen.    You're supposed to lean on it.  that's what it's for.     I used mine to pull myself up out of my seat, even put the kayak upside down on the bar to test the strength of the bar and connectors.   Intentionally pushing the extremes.   The least of my concerns is that the hull would  break...         Take a closer look at some of the other mfg's stand up bars.    They're using the same bimini fittings.    But hey,,  if you'd prefer to spend 200 dollars plus shipping.... 

Regarding a place to put your paddle:    Since Ive actually built and used one of these stand up bars....  That dog just don't hunt.     Imagine the senario.  You're standing up, paddling along with your fishing pole in one hand , paddle in the other ?  You suddenly decide to  balance your paddle in that convienent paddle rest  to cast?   :smt044 :smt044 :smt044         Or would you be paddling,  then set your paddle down, grab your rod from a holder ,  stand up, then start casting?    Just don't see how it's possible to do both.    Maybe rambo style,,, hold the rod in your teeth.   :smt005     Try it sometime and let me know how that works out for you.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The "built in" weak link will be the plastic "bimini top" fittings.  Think that should sum it up.  I like the design Jim!

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Maybe consider building in a "weak link" so you'll break the standing bar before you tear apart your hull? Maybe cut the aluminum conduit and join it back together with a balsa wood dowel that will snap or something plastic or rubbery that will deform?

Break the hull ?      You can't be serious....         Ever try to break a piece of polyethylene?      If that happens,,, better start looking for a better built kayak.  I could see it with some of those chinese models that utilize re-grind plastic. 
  The idea of putting in a "weak link"  just begs for a failure to happen.    You're supposed to lean on it.  that's what it's for.     I used mine to pull myself up out of my seat, even put the kayak upside down on the bar to test the strength of the bar and connectors.   Intentionally pushing the extremes.   The least of my concerns is that the hull would  break...         Take a closer look at some of the other mfg's stand up bars.    They're using the same bimini fittings.    But hey,,  if you'd prefer to spend 200 dollars plus shipping.... 

Regarding a place to put your paddle:    Since Ive actually built and used one of these stand up bars....  That dog just don't hunt.     Imagine the senario.  You're standing up, paddling along with your fishing pole in one hand , paddle in the other ?  You suddenly decide to  balance your paddle in that convienent paddle rest  to cast?   :smt044 :smt044 :smt044         Or would you be paddling,  then set your paddle down, grab your rod from a holder ,  stand up, then start casting?    Just don't see how it's possible to do both.    Maybe rambo style,,, hold the rod in your teeth.   :smt005     Try it sometime and let me know how that works out for you.

How did you bend the conduit Jim? I don't have a pipe bender, would one of those cheap hand benders work?

Santa Cruz Raptor SoT - sold
Hobie Outback - sold
Native Watercraft Slayer 13

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Since I'm in a pedal kayak, I don't need a standard paddle when I'm fishing in certain areas.  I'd be carrying a sup paddle, and fishing and paddling solely from the standing position. I actually stand up paddle a lot in my slayer propel, mostly to stretch my legs a bit and have some fun. A nice place to stash the paddle or the rod right in front of me is the goal, so I don't have to sit down to paddle and then get back up again.

Maybe even a push pole in the future of I'm fishing really shallow water. I've been thinking of a combination push pole/stake out pole for a while when fishing the lakes for bass. If you look at the Jackson big rig stand up bar you'll see what I mean. The angled extension point looks like a perfect place to stash a paddle while you're stand up fishing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:46:14 PM by bmb 2.0 »