Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hi Im new, just bought a kayak and look for good fishing spots in Bay Area  (Read 1351 times)

taimysho0

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Just bought an Ocean Kayak Frenzy and have never gone kayaking before.  Any good recommendations in the Bay Area to practice fishing?  I drove down the 1 last week and saw a nice beach where someone was kayaking at Big Basin Redwoods State Park Beach.  Im considering going there and practice re-entry while droppingf a few crab traps.

I also goto Half Moon Bay jetties from time to time to fish, can I just launch my kayak anywhere on the Harbor side or does it have to be from a specific part of the harbor?  Also, are there any rules or regulations on where to launch and if I need to have anything on me other than a license if I plan to fish?  Basically a newbie thats going in blind into the kayaking game :)

taimysho0

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
also, i did buy safety gear which includes a 7mm wetsuit, a life vest, 3lb anchor, and a whole bunch of leashes and straps for my fishing gear.  am working on building a kayak krate to store my fishing goods.

still looking for a radio and flag pole for visibility.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:08:47 PM by taimysho0 »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Welcome! Check out the safety section on the forum. You won't be needing that anchor if you're fishing in the ocean. If you want to use it fishing for sturgeon, search for the topic QRAS or Quick Release Anchor System. There's lots of good fishing in the bay of course. Other close places will depend on what part of the Bay Area you live in.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Welcome! Glad to hear you are gearing up and thinking about safety. Here are a few tips:

You may know this, but rockfish and lingcod are not open for boats at this time of year. Aside from your license, DFW rules require that you have a landing net at least 18" diameter on board (silly law, that one).

Leashes can tangle you up. I use a leash on my radio (attached to my PFD) and on my mirage drive, but other than that I use floats.

At HMB, most people launch from near HMB kayak or the old pier.

I would advise you to avoid the open coast (like near Big Basin) until you practice reentry and are sure you can handle a surf launch.

Remember that skills and good judgment are every bit as important as having the right gear. I'm glad to hear you are planning to practice re-entry.

Have fun out there!

Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Welcome to NCKA.  :smt006 I would recommend starting at a lake first. Learn to paddle efficiently, because a lot of time in the ocean you'll have to paddle against the current and the wind, and practice re-entry before going out to the ocean. Only after you feel confident, go out to the ocean with a buddy.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Welcome to NCKA!

It's good you have wetsuit but a 7mm may be a little thick and can constrict paddling. Practice at a local lake first or inside the HMB harbor but don't go out on your first time, specially if you're alone.

Join a hookup. Welcome to the madness.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Welcome to the Madness!  Besides catching fish and meeting up with other kayakers, gearing up your ride is one of the most fun part of thie sport. 
I also think the 7 mil wetsuit is too thick. I would suggest getting a 3/2 instead.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Welcome.. I also just purchased a kayak and I am taking a different route before going in the ocean for the first time. I have been taking sea kayak classes at CCK in Oakland. So far I have completed Sea kayaking I and II. At this point I am pretty confident that I could enter the ocean safely but I will spend some time getting used to the kayak paddling around on a lake first. I might also take a surf entry class.

The classes teach you a lot of various stokes that are used for different situations. We also learned and practiced assisted, and self rescues. They provide all of the gear and kayak at a reasonable cost.

One interesting thing that happened was that one of my class mates in the first class could not get back in his kayak after a few successful attempts. He went back to the dock and could not stand up. It turned out that during a bathroom break he left his relief zipper open on his dry suit about an 1/8 of an inch. With all of the exertion he didn't notice his suit had filled with water. It was funny but could of been life threatening if the instructor or others had not been there to get him out of the suit and warmed up.   

Good luck with this, and I will post when I am going to paddle around on a lake(San Pablo Dam) if you or other newbis want to join and maybe catch a trout too.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

A good wetsuit is the one that stays on all the time.  If you are not too hot on a 7mm, then you are OK.  However, I personally agree with others, 7mm maybe too thick.  Also, get one that easy to get on (zipper upfront).    I recommend something like this https://www.austinkayak.com/outlet/products/22133/Stohlquist-Storm-John-3mm-Wetsuit-Men-Closeout.html

Also, Mark L's suggestion is very good.  Remember, the point is to get back safely to fish another day.  Any catch is very nice, but safely back is a lot nicer.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Welcome to NCKA!

It's good you have wetsuit but a 7mm may be a little thick and can constrict paddling. Practice at a local lake first or inside the HMB harbor but don't go out on your first time, specially if you're alone.

Join a hookup. Welcome to the madness.
Mist use 3mm farmerjohn
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

iroelikethat

• Fish! It's whats for dinner!
  • Sea Lion
  • 42 in the left 38 in the right-Feather River
  • View Profile JeffE's Myspace Page
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
welcome to the maddness! don't forget the radio!:-)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -Chinese proverb
South Bay Safety Squad - TEAM CAPTAIN  Screen name generator and General Instigator from Decatur

FKV-1 2005 Liquid Logic Manta Ray (Decommissioned)
FKV-2 2010 Hobie Outback (Decommissioned)
FKV-3 2014 Jackson Cuda (In-service)
FKV-4 2017 Hobie Outback (Inaugural Pacific Mission/ Christening - Albion- Aug 10th 2017)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
A frenzy is a pretty small boat.  Start slow and be safe.

Sea Ghost

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017

mireland62887

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I'm also a Farmer John fan. I have a dry suit that I may use more this year, but the Farmer John has worked well for me so far.

Another tip that I haven't seen yet is learning to watch the weather. Both on the water, and prior to any trip you may make. Wind, swell, and tide are all things that can be somewhat predictable with a little research, and can make a HUGE difference for time on open water.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA Taimysho0  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."