Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:01:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Set Up Questions - for spearfishing  (Read 1506 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I need your advice! (photo below)

I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a brand new Cobra Navigator single sit on top for spearfishing. I've added a rod holder (by front left foot), a gun "clip" on the side very rear (handle of gun clips to webbing), additional webbing on the bow, a dive flag holder and modified a 5 gal bucket (since it has a circular indent for one) with exterior clips, a lid, and a styrofoam insert to keep fish cooler on the way home (even if the tails hang out). I don't intend to do too much hook and line from it but I might on occasion. I mainly will use it in Big Sur/Still Water etc. to spearfish from. I have been diving for most of my life (abalone, free dive, spelunking, scuba, etc) and just started getting into spearfishing in the last year or so. Here is where I'm seeking your input (answers with pictures would be awesome if applicable).

Here are some questions for you experienced yakers:
- SAFTEY: I'd like to keep my wife comfortable with me going out (solo when necessary). Do you have recommendations for a VHF/GPS other than the Standard Horizon HX870?
- WARMTH: Any thoughts on whether it's worth pop riveting a cup colder somewhere for warm coffee/tea?
- ANCHOR: I have a kelp clip with about 15' of 550 chord but the kelp is dissapearing so should I make/buy an anchor? If so, any recommendations?
- FISH: I recently got my first monkey-faced eel recently. It had a ton of bones and tasted a little muddy. Any thoughts on what I could do differently or is this the nature of the fish?
- What other modifications do you recommend? Do I need to change anything?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
-HX300 if you are in a budget.
-Just buy a insulated bottle filled with hot water. I personally don’t care about hot water, as long as I have water to drink.
-15LB of dumbbell from Walmart. The key is to have 10ft of bungee in-line so it won’t move the anchor when swell push the kayak.
-Shoot something else if you don’t like MFE.
-Buy a motorcycle cargo net. Secure it in the tank well. Put a lot of clips. Anything not secured to kayak will get lost.
You have to think where you stow your fins, floatline,kelp clip,mask...etc.
Think of the event when you flip the kayak. Would you lose them all? You will flip. So be prepared.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
MORE QUESTIONS:

- Does adding something like "Bieroog 6 Inch Hole Diameter Deck Plate Kit, Deck Hatch with Cat Bag for Kayak Boat Fishing Rigging" affect the buoyancy of a sit on top kayak?
- What is the best way to carry the kayak single handedly down trails that aren't flat (i.e. on my back vs a SUP sling strap vs wheels)?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
-HX300 if you are in a budget.
-Just buy a insulated bottle filled with hot water. I personally don’t care about hot water, as long as I have water to drink.
-15LB of dumbbell from Walmart. The key is to have 10ft of bungee in-line so it won’t move the anchor when swell push the kayak.
-Shoot something else if you don’t like MFE.
-Buy a motorcycle cargo net. Secure it in the tank well. Put a lot of clips. Anything not secured to kayak will get lost.
You have to think where you stow your fins, floatline,kelp clip,mask...etc.
Think of the event when you flip the kayak. Would you lose them all? You will flip. So be prepared.

I appreciate the feedback. Warm water is just a creature comfort. I always have a Nalgene. good idea with the anchor and bungee. I was curious if I just cooked it wrong (butter, garlic, parsley). I have a lot of clips - that's set up there. Any other mods that are not yet on my radar?

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
On the MFE check with BigJim. He is a mfe master, shooting and cooking/eating.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Not sure that kayak needs 15lbs of weight for an anchor.  I use a 10 lb kettle ball from Walmart and 100’ of anchor line on a wrap also from Walmart.  Pretty cheap way to go and I have not had to dive down to get the anchor unstuck like I had to do many times with the fold out anchors.  I put loops in the line at 10’ increments and clip it to my bungee making sure to let out extra line.  Some will put a small float inline so you can grab the line with your paddle.  I usually just wrap up the line before jumping back in the kayak otherwise I have to deal with tangles.  Longer bungees are probably better but only once did I go out in conditions that were to rough for the 6’ bungee in the picture.  Didn’t stay long anyways. 

You will learn more of what works after each trip.  Tie down or store everything is the best option.  You will flip it or roll it on entry/exit so keep gear loss to a minimum. 

As for fish I hate MFE, greenling and perch.  But there are plenty who like them.  Just not me so can’t help with that as I don’t target them unless it’s a competition requirement and then I give them away. 

My kayak is to heavy to carry so I just use wheels. 

As for making the wife happy.  Post up for dive buddies and try to go out with one.  Otherwise make sure someone knows your dive plan and anticipated time of return. 

I was bringing a gps spot connect with me for emergencies but need to update to a newer version.  You can send messages in remote locations or just hit the emergency button and a rescue party will be given your location.  There is a monthly subscription but it’s worth every penny if you ever needed it or just to make the wife more happy.  Mine bought me a shark shield and apparently it makes her feel better. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I had MFE once and was told to peel the skin, cut the head off and clean it really well. It was good and didn't have any off flavors. It's not an appetizing fish to look at so I will not be targeting them in the future. 
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Not sure that kayak needs 15lbs of weight for an anchor.  I use a 10 lb kettle ball from Walmart and 100’ of anchor line on a wrap also from Walmart.  Pretty cheap way to go and I have not had to dive down to get the anchor unstuck like I had to do many times with the fold out anchors.  I put loops in the line at 10’ increments and clip it to my bungee making sure to let out extra line.  Some will put a small float inline so you can grab the line with your paddle.  I usually just wrap up the line before jumping back in the kayak otherwise I have to deal with tangles.  Longer bungees are probably better but only once did I go out in conditions that were to rough for the 6’ bungee in the picture.  Didn’t stay long anyways. 

You will learn more of what works after each trip.  Tie down or store everything is the best option.  You will flip it or roll it on entry/exit so keep gear loss to a minimum. 

As for fish I hate MFE, greenling and perch.  But there are plenty who like them.  Just not me so can’t help with that as I don’t target them unless it’s a competition requirement and then I give them away. 

My kayak is to heavy to carry so I just use wheels. 

As for making the wife happy.  Post up for dive buddies and try to go out with one.  Otherwise make sure someone knows your dive plan and anticipated time of return. 

I was bringing a gps spot connect with me for emergencies but need to update to a newer version.  You can send messages in remote locations or just hit the emergency button and a rescue party will be given your location.  There is a monthly subscription but it’s worth every penny if you ever needed it or just to make the wife more happy.  Mine bought me a shark shield and apparently it makes her feel better.

This is great info! I too was thinking 15lbs was a bit heavy. I wonder if I could just tie my extra weight belt weights to some webbing and then that might work. My only concern is storage. My yak (Cobra Navigator) only has the rear cargo (1/2 of which is taken by a 5 gal bucket) and then my fins go on the front. I suppose I could start using the area between my feet. The bungee is a great idea too. I'll pick one of those up! Thank you for the info. Any other mods to add?

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I had MFE once and was told to peel the skin, cut the head off and clean it really well. It was good and didn't have any off flavors. It's not an appetizing fish to look at so I will not be targeting them in the future.
Yes, bleed and gut immediately.  Fillet like a fish and skin, they're almost all meat.  They eat sea vegetation sans the catfish algae musty essence.  I got my kids to eat it so I bleeding...etc....protects the meat whilst in transport to seasonings and cast iron... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Yes, bleed and gut immediately. 

Good call. I didn't bleed or gut till I got home. Maybe that was part of it.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
IMO, the best way to not over it do, is to get out more. You will learn each time when you really need and what you think you need.
The only thing everyone on this board agree with me is to tie everything down.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

Zzz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Here's my space saving anchor setup for when the kelp clip isn't usable. It works well if you're a diver because you're gonna have to dive down and retrieve it a lot of the time. I haven't installed the anchor trolley that I purchased because I feel like it's just one more thing to snag my wetsuit on.

3lb Folding anchor:
https://www.amazon.com/Galvanized-Folding-Grapnel-Boat-Anchors/dp/B01MTDKGML/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1520534608&sr=8-8&keywords=folding+kayak+anchor

Utility Reel:
https://www.makospearguns.com/Utility-Reel-p/mur.1.htm

Upgrade the weak nylon cord to some quality dyneema reel line because it broke on me once:
https://www.makospearguns.com/High-Performance-Dyneema-Reel-Line-p/mdrl.1.htm

4ft Anchor Bungee to absorb swells:
https://www.amazon.com/AIRHEAD-AHDL-6-Bungee-Dockline-Feet/dp/B0012RJTUW/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1520534709&sr=1-5&keywords=anchor%2Bbungee&th=1

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Here's my space saving anchor setup for when the kelp clip isn't usable. It works well if you're a diver because you're gonna have to dive down and retrieve it a lot of the time. I haven't installed the anchor trolley that I purchased because I feel like it's just one more thing to snag my wetsuit on.

This is awesome. What a great idea! Do you have a picture of where you clip the reel to? I understand your anchor system, but not how you mount it to your kayak so that the line goes out the back, and how you reel it in when you're finished diving.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'd ditch the bucket and just use a burlap sack instead. And I don't think anchors are as necessary down here because there's usually plenty of kelp. For sure have a bungee on your kelp clip though.
That kayak's light enough to just carry over your head, but then you have to make multiple trips for your gear. That's the advantage of a cart, I can rig up my kayak by my truck then wheel it to the water.
As for the MFE, you should check some of BigJim's posts because he shows how to clean & prep them. Now that you have over 10 posts, you should be able to see the Members Only fishing reports too.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything