Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:38:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:10:40 AM]

[May 12, 2024, 10:30:06 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 05:50:54 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 02:04:00 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ed's Hawaii skunk gone 7/10  (Read 1289 times)

Ed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Well, I finally caught something today and thought I should post and let some of my old NorCal friends know I can still catch a fish.  I would have posted in Hookups yesterday, but I didn't think any one would make the paddle.  I caught these two Papio in 125 foot of water in Kailua bay, Oahu, the 5 pounder on scampi tipped with squid and the 6 pound one on a Ballyhoo.  Overall beautiful day and the trade winds are down for the whole weekend.
Ed

Randy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Hey Ed   :smt006

Thanks for updating us.  Glad to learn you've rinsed the skunk off. Cool looking fish.  Good eating?

BTW, nice looking boat   :smt002

Randy

eyeatbay

• Salmon
  • Halibut 42"
  • View Profile
Good fish! Do you fish alone or there are a group of kayak fishermen in HI too? Randy - I almost got your boat  :smt002

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Heh there Ed............. :smt006  Good to see you finding the touch in your new home.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
WTG Ed!!

You'll have that place wired in no time!

allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Hey Ed:

I'm flying out to Maui on Weds.  Will be there through the weekend.  Is there any possibility of kayak fishing while i'm there?  Def not on sat or sun, but thrs/fri is a definite maybe.  Staying near waimea.

Ed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yakuza, I think you have a good chance, there are a lot of rental places around.  Weather will be your only limiting factor.  I wish you were coming to Oahu I could take you out.  The recommendations I hear are to troll a rapalla or yozuri just outside the reef to catch papio or other reef predators.  To catch the bigger fish they are trolling fresh bait either opelu or ballyhoo and catching mainly ono or mahi mahi in 100 -200 ft, but that is out there a way depending on what island your on and where on the island you are, some places it is close in.  The fishing so far has been a little spotty for me so far, but I think it has been lack of skill not lack of fish.  I have missed a couple of decent fish so far.  I miss the NCKA crowd though, I have had to go out alone a lot, because there are not that many groups that fish from kayaks.  It was amazing to be able to post and usually get someone to go out with you, at least you had the safety factor.  I have had amazing luck with talking fishing with the locals and getting tips.  I was a little worried that the locals wouldn't want to talk to a new guy, but they have been more then helpfull.  This week I think I have finally found a small Oahu fishing group, which is just a small group of guys, but I think they hope to get on the internet soon.  To answer Randy I am going to eat one of them tomorrow I will give you an update.  I did have to test them for cigotera toxin,  I am glad the fish are large or I won't keep many reef fish with how much it costs to test.
Ed

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That SUCKS!  I hate it when paradise has thorns................ :smt012
If anyone else didn't know what this stuff is, here is what I found.
---------------------------------------------
Ciguatera Toxin
What is it?
 Diagnosis

Symptoms
 Treatment

Transmission Prevention

What is it?
Ciguatera refers to a poisoning that occurs after eating tropical reef fish which contain toxins produced by a microalgae called Gambierdiscus toxicus.

Symptoms
Symptoms can occur up to one hour after eating tropical reef fish, and may be both gastrointestinal (GI) and neurological. GI symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, occur first, usually within 24 hours.

Neurological symptoms may include pain, weakness, or tingling in the legs, fingers, and toes. In addition, several people have reported temperature reversals, such as cold things tasting hot and hot things tasting cold, along with a sensation of “aching teeth.”

Symptoms usually go away within 1-7 days, but in some cases may last for years. In severe cases, neurological symptoms may progress to coma and respiratory arrest in the first 24 hours of the illness.

Transmission
Reef fish feed on the microalgae, and in turn, they become toxic. The toxicity is magnified up the food chain, meaning that when larger fish eat the toxic fish, they also become toxic. Large, predatory fish become the most toxic. In addition, when a person eats a toxic, large, predatory fish, they become poisoned with ciguatera.

Diagnosis
Diagnosis is based on symptoms and a history of recently eating a particular kind of seafood.

Treatment
Symptoms are treated, but ciguatera has no cure.

Prevention
Ciguatera is most commonly found in areas where people consume reef fish, especially Australia, the Caribbean, Hawaii, southern Florida, and the South Pacific. Eating large predatory fish, such as barracuda, should be avoided when visiting these areas. In addition, cooking spoiled or toxic seafood will NOT keep you safe, as Ciguatera is NOT destroyed by the cooking process.

For more information:

Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - Ciguatera Toxin

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:57:38 PM by Seabreeze »
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Wow, that Cituagatera toxin sounds really nasty!

He Ed, my wife and I are gong to be on Oahu for our belated honeymoon the week after next. We wanted to do some kayaking out there and was wondering how the rental situation is. Any info you have is helpful as it'll be my first time out there.

PS. Spearfshing out there looks insane! I've been hooked on these lately
http://www.hawaiiskindiver.net
http://www.hanapaahawaii.net

THANKS!
Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Ed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Z,  I would recommend coming to kailua on the winward side, real short drive.  There are a couple of shops, but I have had the best luck with twogood kayaks.  They seem like a good store and brief people on the hazards in the area pretty well and transport all the gear right to the launch point.  I think you will enjoy the waters around here and there are some great things to see within an easy paddle.  I think Craig posted some good pictures about renting and kayaking out of kailua about a month ago. I can't make any promises, but I could lend you my tarpon 130 tandem and all the gear if work cooperates.  PM me when the dates get closer .

The cigatera stuff gets me nervous only because of family, they have a kit here for 27 dollars that tests three fish.  It kind of seems like a science experiment, but it is pretty simple and worth it if you catch a large, decent tasting fish.  I am just worried  about messing up the WAF though.  If I get her sick for a year I might have trouble getting out fishing, I may have to start being here fish taster.  Also the pelagics don't get it so I will just have to target them.
Ed

surfingmarmot

Man I hate it that the most beautiful Roses have the sharpest thorns. But then again, I guess you can jsut C&R teh Reef fish and go after the Pelagics as you said. That way you can enjoy those fish without endageriong yourself. We have something simlar here of course though not so widespread--the Red Tide. I wonder if the poisons from those algae have pharmacological value as so often venoms and poisons, particularly those that as neurological in nature do?

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thanks for the info and the offer ED!  :thumleft: Although, since it's the honeymoon fishing is out the window. Just a leisurely jaunt on the beautiful ocean of Hawaii on a kayak... can't wat! Sounds like some great ocean and weather and we are really looking forward to it all!! Thanks again, I'll PM you next week.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile