Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DOTY Rules Suggestions  (Read 2868 times)

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Well, it's mid-December and nobody has started a thread for yelling at each other about rule changes. Here's what I'd like to see for next year:

More points for copper rockfish
Adding scallops

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
LOL!

You're late to the party dude.

Whole thread for ideas here:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=58424.0

Scallops=good idea IMO

More points for coppers=bad idea IMO

:smt005

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Yowlie

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
For 2016:  I think we should put a 12" minimum limit on any fish submitted, or at least such a limit on coppers.  DOTY is great and it pushes you to learn to identify fish and learn their habitats.  We also want it to promote sportsmanship, which means no take that is unnecessary or that will go uneaten.  I think that we can agree we would not shoot many RF below 12" on any given day, and that we would tell new divers to be selective and wait for chunkier RF.  The reason there is no legal size limit on them is that they can't survive H&L barotrauma (well).  But spearos can be selective.  For some varieties, 12" is actually good sized, but they can still be found pretty easily.  For coppers, which get very big, a 10" fish is probably a juvenile in the shallows and not something we would shoot, without the DOTY points.  This is not a critique.  I am one of the people who shot (and ate) a 10" copper.  It is just a suggested rule change, not uncommon in other tournaments, that can promote sportsmanship.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Sportsmanship should be the foundation of our actions in the outdoors as well as for our tournaments and competitions.  For many here it definitely is, but it's also easy to see where the tendency to measure EVERY fish on a trough is taken or to shoot whatever will be an upgrade in points is pursued.

Any of us who have been involved in the diving and hook and line fishing have found ourselves in positions to harvest or otherwise pursue and "take" fish even when we realize we're only doing it for points or notoriety.  It's natural to reach that point in your progression as an outdoorsman where you contemplate your own footprint on the resources as well as the impression you leave with those who share the passion and the public display of pursuit and harvest.

We have the choice to use these activities as vehicles for personal growth - both for ourselves and others - or to continue along a path of only focusing on honing our killing/measuring/displaying skills.

The more we build up our competitions with prizes and other bling awarded for the biggest or most kills - or even filmed and photo'd releases - the closer we move toward being just another group of consumers instead of perhaps fulfilling a more ideal goal of being ambassadors of sports where challenge, beauty, interaction with the wild and sharing with like minded friends are the areas of focus.

I'm a hypocrite because I've killed more of most things than most  people on these boards, and I've awarded thousands of dollars worth of prizes for the same types of accomplishments.  There's always room to grow though, or at least there should be.

Food for thought.  Thanks for the consideration. 
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Rick

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I vote for reducing the species list to lingcod, vermillion, halibut, and WSB, and adding striper.  :smt003
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:18:00 AM by Rick »

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I think you divers, me included, should only be able to count your big ten fish just like the hook and line guys. Maybe the hook and line guys should be able to count 20 now?
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I enjoyed participating the way it was but don't have any objections to changes if it really is hurting a species.  Not sure size of the fish matters if there is no limit in the regs.  The amount of coppers that were shot by DOTY participants was extremely low and I don't believe it would ever have any noticeable impact on the species.  I got one this year and it tasted good.  Still not something I try to go looking for but loved the process of looking and learning.  I have caught more on hook and line but threw them back and didn't even report any of my hook and line fish this year for AOTY. 

I never waste fish and would definitely encourage everyone to do the same. 

AOTY is not affected by DOTY so the rules don't need to match.  Not many species we can shoot in freshwater.

I would consider a change where new divers could be acknowledged for their efforts as it could encourage participation.  Maybe a special raffle for the divers who have never participated before. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
All good suggestions and I will make sure that the guys on the DOTY committee take them into consideration to see if we make any rule changes for 2016.

:smt001

FWIW, I would probably vote against a minimum size limit for any of our species (except for the ones that already have size limits of course :smt002 ).

Our ethics as divers shouldn't be determined by any comp and if we personally feel a fish is too small (or too big, or guarding eggs or whatever) and pass on shooting it that is a personal decision...

I think one of the coolest things about DOTY is when a newer diver gets their first of any species that they have been hunting for...regardless of the size. My very first Verm was only 8 inches big but I was SO stoked to finally see one I would have shot it regardless of DOTY...and it tasted great!  :smt003

http://doty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/50

And I think the amount of impact DOTY divers have on the resource is really minimal....I'm sure there are deep water copper stocks that we will never hit as freedivers...

Anyway, I'm only one vote on the committee so will see what Nelson, Pete and Charlie think.

:smt001

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

anything