Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Based on Shark Shield's advertising, do you believe that proper usage of a Shark Shield keeps you safe from shark attack?

Yes.
17 (27%)
No.
12 (19%)
Unsure.  But having one can't hurt.
34 (54%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 11:04:35 AM

Topic: Shark Shield - Yay or Nay  (Read 8710 times)

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

The electronics might do something but if you try to cover every safety thing with gear solutions you end up with too much stuff on your yak

I fished from south of Carmel up into mendo county 40+ years without one

Through the 70s and 80s I fished daily for long stretches all over the San Mateo coast, bean, pigeon point, Santa Cruz, above Scott creek, etc The only place I ever avoided completely was Ano Nuevo

I had a drive over one morning freediving at Pigeon Point by something big and not too long after the guy was eaten there so I lightened up on pigeon point for a while but really the beasts can turn up anywhere

Anybody on the ocean has the possibility to get hit, I have serious doubts any electronics are going to slow down a big breaching shark

Back when you started they were seriously endangered.  From what is being reported they are coming back strong and that could cause more interactions with humans. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
i'm going to believe it works till someone is bit by a GWS. I know sharks snouts are very sensitive to Electrical current. they use those sensors to detect prey. But this emits a much stronger current.  I took some marine biology, and it make sense. I've seen a trained Octopus at the Stanford Marine Biology Lab. They used small electrical impulses to train the Octopus. And I feel much better having one and so does my wife. I was asked at the slam down by a person with his wife present. He asked me what I thought. I looked at his wife and asked how much his life was worth. Her answer was silence, LOL. My wife was pissed when I mentioned that a few times I didn't have it with me. She wasn't silent after I said that. So I ask you guys what is piece of mind worth. That is a much better question. 
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
It is simple science

the only questions I had- have been tested and there is documented results

I also got to talk to the rep about recall or warranty issues they worked on---battery life---warranty for new units and life expectancy ---he knew the answers to my questions-- and was able to provide a history of the freedom 7's evolution and links to do my own research

does it 'call' a shark-no

will it stop a shark  from attacking -yes

does it deter sharks from staying by your kayak -yes

there is no reason 'I' see that having one on board is not good ,prudent ,kayak  fishing and diving safety in the pacific ocean
For sure an individual choice and I am not saying you'll get hit without one 100% or wont with one 100%
but I'm pretty sure your like 80% less likely to take a sky launch from a GWS or get followed for long ---that to me -even at 10% better odds is good enough--700$ aint that much money---piece of mind ---sure you could poke it in the eye with your paddle--but the shield dangling under the kayak or off a divers leg -does that for you first

its proven science

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:09:48 AM by trianglelaguna »
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Adam415

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I went to the shark shield presentation last week at Red Triangle Spearfishing. I watched their footage of white sharks breaching on towed seal decoys with the shield turned off. They had some crazy breach shots. According to them, they turned the sheild on and the sharks turned and stopped short of the decoy every time. I realize it is their own edited footage but it i am convinced i will benifit from using one. At the very least it will give me more confidence when im diving tomales and other spooky spots.
Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtFJdtY1W9M4MGfoz4Ndb8A

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Shark shields are for pussies...unless it's September or October in the red triangle. This is a good time to tell Mdoka Matt how much you appreciate him as a friend and how he's the baddest halibut fisherman you know and that you'd love to go on a mission with him sometime. Hey Matt ol buddy ol pal... :smt008 :smt006

:smt005
plus, once said fish is caught the SS can stun your trophy halibut :smt003
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
and helmets are for pussy's
and having gloves is for pussy's and eye protection is for pussies

and seat belts are for pussies
and pfd and wet suits are for whimps

and so on---what I dont get--is who cares what someone else uses --I see guys riding motorcycles with bright yellow safety vests over their jacket---not my bag----is he/she a pussy...I doubt it--- in fact that person maybe is even smarter than me when it comes to surviving in traffic and avoiding assholes cutting them off---so really false bravado= lower I.Q

using a simple  easy to operate/safe and proven ,safety device, to possibly deter a Carcharodon Carcharias when it is in full attack mode makes decent sense to me

think about it  :smt003
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

― Kurt Vonnegut

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Shark shields are for pussies...unless it's September or October in the red triangle. This is a good time to tell Mdoka Matt how much you appreciate him as a friend and how he's the baddest halibut fisherman you know and that you'd love to go on a mission with him sometime. Hey Matt ol buddy ol pal... :smt008 :smt006

You are always invited to come fish with me Paul   :smt001

With 5 seasons in the MBay area under my belt, Ive had one drive by and one breach/bump.  The bump was a high-speed and seemingly committed breach directed at my kayak. It actually made slight contact with the kayak, but aborted at the last possible moment.  This was with no SS.  Therefore I argue that a shark does have considerable ability to abort a high-speed attack if it wants to; and I believe a SS will give it good motivation to do so. At the very least it should dissuade a secondary attack, which is when a kayaker would get hurt.  After that experience, I decided a SS was necessary for me and my fishing style and locale. 

Now lets go get some butts Paul. 
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

shoprat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Call me what you want, me and my buddy got checked out by a 15' white last December. Too close for comfort.... If the Shark shield will do anything to deter that shark even for a short time it's worth the money! I bought one! 

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
btw I saw this --this morning...contacted the seller and asked the born on date/purchase date , he got back to me...less than a year--no uses N.I.Box...never been wet etc

a person could save a bit here, on tax,I  believe -and about 100 + just on the price..latest model 'Freedom 7'  --for kayak and diving model

I wont be getting this one so ....I thought I'd pass on the deal I spied ---want to have one for my wife-was tempted to get this one
we'll just buy another new  one direct from S-shield  for her instead

anyways ---really decent deal here imo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shark-Shield-Freedom-7-/121761244673?ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:36:02 AM by trianglelaguna »

― Kurt Vonnegut

fishtacoz88

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Yeah, I am planning to purchase a shark shield as well. 50% of something is better then nothing. Plus, I think I will attract more kayak fishing partners. I will save my fast food money and toss it in a jar....should have enough saved up by next year summer

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ebay Item SOLD.... Missed it :smt010
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
just get a fresh one from the reps...they give better deals in person- and the one they give you is new new

was not that good of a flebay price in hindsight--almost exact for a seminar price new

btw....some know me and my taking too much gear  :smt003 ....I might just run 2 SSheilds  :smt004..one front and back when my wife aint using hers... :smt044 :smt044
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:55:09 PM by trianglelaguna »

― Kurt Vonnegut

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
or one
on each side of my seat

or one on the kayak and one dangling down 6 feet...lol.....no really.. I might  :smt003
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:50:38 PM by trianglelaguna »

― Kurt Vonnegut

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
any thoughts on using an older model shark shield? I know the retail cost is totally worth it, but if i can get a deal......

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
Where did you shark shield owners purchase them?What's a fair price?Thanks tiny
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:32:25 PM by tiny »
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

anything