Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Guadalupe watershed Methyl mercury water report.  (Read 2532 times)

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006

compa, somebody here posted data that showed lex to be pretty good. can you point us to hard data that says lex is bad? Not that I care but people on this site have eaten the crappie and much more rarely the LMB out of there because we saw some hard data that said lex was safe. if you search on this site for crappie and lexington, you'll find my question on this very topic and sixmhz reply.

jmairey,

Here is the report. It is very extensive and you'll have to dig through it to find the part pertaining to Lexington and more so to it's fish. While Lexington may be good relative to the other sites in this report and to Stevens Creek (worse in the valley of the non mine contaminated lakes) and Anderson, it is not as good as people think. I would say that half as bad is still pretty bad and is not a green light to eat all you want. Even out ocean waters are loaded with that stuff and eating the bigger predators is a danger IMHO.
http://www.valleywater.org/media/pdf/Guad_River_TMDL/Guad_TMDL_TM_5.3.2_%20Vol_I.pdf

There is a volume II of that in this site:

http://www.valleywater.org/Water/Watersheds_-_streams_and_floods/Watershed_info_&_projects/Guadalupe/_Guadalupe_River_TMDL_project/index.shtm
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:51:11 AM by compa »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I totally agree with Jamie. Why would you want to chance it? Mercury is bad stuff. I wouldn't eat any fish from Calero, Chesbro, Uvas, Lexington, Stevens Creek, Almaden, etc. Especially LMB. They taste terrible anyways.
Plus, C+R will make these fisheries even better for future generations!

Although, this topic should probably be in the Fish Talk section, as opposed to Fishing Reports.

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I found the part of interest and it is on table 8.3 on the report. It was not 60% as bad as Anderson's fish but at least 40%. I was rellying on memory which fails me some times.  :smt009

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

compa, you are probably just suffering from a little mercury poisoning like bluekayak. nothing to worry about as far as how it affects your fish-catching skills as far as we can tell!  :smt005

but when I read that thing, I see that the EPA water quality is 0.3 ppm (mg/kg wet wt) and calero is on the line and lexington under (unless those two sets of units are somehow different). Not that I'm about to make LMB a big part of my diet.

J
john m. airey

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile

compa, you are probably just suffering from a little mercury poisoning like bluekayak. nothing to worry about as far as how it affects your fish-catching skills as far as we can tell!  :smt005

but when I read that thing, I see that the EPA water quality is 0.3 ppm (mg/kg wet wt) and calero is on the line and lexington under (unless those two sets of units are somehow different). Not that I'm about to make LMB a big part of my diet.

J
jmairy,

I don't know where you see .3 ppm for Calero. I see that Calero is abouve 1 ppm.

Del Valle's black bass was tested at .9 ppm average and it was on the DFG warning list. Lexington tested at .6 ppm average for bass of 40 cm long(12" is about 30 cm). It's a matter of math in my opinion. They recomend not eating more that one meal per month of the bass in Del Valle. And one meal for my weight is 8 ozs. I can easily put down a whole pound of fish in a meal. I'll let you be the judge how much you can eat form Lexington. I am not saying don't eat the bass. I am saying be moderate in eating it.

Table 8-1.
Summary of Adult Largemouth Bass Mercury Data

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:52:53 PM by compa »

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I thought it was old age, now I know it's the mercury. Luckily I usually CNR bass from Del Valle however I do eat the trout regularly from Del Valle and Loch Lomond. The Lexington bass I've eaten were Molbasser's fish tacos. Thanks for the tip. I don't fish SF bay or the delta for the same reason.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Compa, I think I looked at table 8-4,   Summary of Age-1 largemouth bass mercury data.

there the lex bass were 0.06 to 0.14, but when they are only 5" long, that is not real interesting!

I agree that table 8-1, the one for ADULT largemouth is better and the figures are way higher
there.

and table 8-3, like you said, is real good, it shows all samples for a 40cm (15inch) bass and they are all
fairly high.

planted trout and even 1 year holdovers should be okay as they didn't accumulate the mercury in the
hatchery (we hope!).

crappie are probably a bit like bass, but not quite as bad since they eat smaller foot items in general.

Thanks for all the data pointers!   

john m. airey

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I thought it was old age, now I know it's the mercury. Luckily I usually CNR bass from Del Valle however I do eat the trout regularly from Del Valle and Loch Lomond. The Lexington bass I've eaten were Molbasser's fish tacos. Thanks for the tip. I don't fish SF bay or the delta for the same reason.

Scott

Great Bass 2

I think eating trout from Del Valle and Lock Lomond is fairly safe. Like Jmairey said they are both plated trout mostly and did not have enought time to accumulate the mercury in the lakes. Even natural trout is much safer than black bass. For some reason black bass accumulates more mercury than any other species. Of the fish we have in the Bay Area catfish, carp and stripe bass are the worse after black bass. Next was crappie and the best was blue gills and planted trouts. That does not include the bay water species.

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006

Compa, I think I looked at table 8-4,   Summary of Age-1 largemouth bass mercury data.

there the lex bass were 0.06 to 0.14, but when they are only 5" long, that is not real interesting!

I agree that table 8-1, the one for ADULT largemouth is better and the figures are way higher
there.

and table 8-3, like you said, is real good, it shows all samples for a 40cm (15inch) bass and they are all
fairly high.

planted trout and even 1 year holdovers should be okay as they didn't accumulate the mercury in the
hatchery (we hope!).

crappie are probably a bit like bass, but not quite as bad since they eat smaller foot items in general.

Thanks for all the data pointers!   

I didn't see any of the tables that start with 8, but I did see table 2.9. In table 2.9, the mercury content in largemouth bass for Lexington is above the EPA limit. I would be very hesitant to eat those fish. A recent study showed that methyl mercury can destroy islet cells in the pancreas. For diabetics, pre-diabetics, and people with metabolic syndrome, this could be a serious problem. Best to avoid these fish or eat them only once a month.
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I didn't see any of the tables that start with 8, but I did see table 2.9. In table 2.9, the mercury content in largemouth bass for Lexington is above the EPA limit. I would be very hesitant to eat those fish. A recent study showed that methyl mercury can destroy islet cells in the pancreas. For diabetics, pre-diabetics, and people with metabolic syndrome, this could be a serious problem. Best to avoid these fish or eat them only once a month.

The link to the report that I posted was messed up. I just fixed it. Try again. What report did you see table 2.9 on?

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006

The link to the report that I posted was messed up. I just fixed it. Try again. What report did you see table 2.9 on?

Here it is:

http://www.valleywater.org/media/pdf/Guad_River_TMDL/Conceptual_Model_Chapter_2_2.pdf
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Bass taste great, and for an adult male you would have to eat WAY more fish that is practical for it to make any difference to you.

I eat 1 to 2 to 0 meals a month from Lexington and I don't even think about it.

Mercury is much more relevant to children and pregnant woman.

The mercury in fish deal is very exagerated.  Eat with confidence.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

that's what you said about fresh water sushi...

:smt010

john m. airey

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I eat 1 to 2 to 0 meals a month from Lexington and I don't even think about it.

Mercury is much more relevant to children and pregnant woman.

The mercury in fish deal is very exagerated.  Eat with confidence.

MolBasser

Eating 1 or 2 meals a month is hardly eating with confidence. I would call that moderate eating. I would do that myself and I call that cautious eating.