Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "donations" made to the sea......  (Read 20518 times)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I agree there has got to be a better way to leash your rods.

The best solution may be flotation rather than leashing. 

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
My first donation was made last Saturday. I dropped my needle nosed pliers right next to my hip in my kayak. When I shifted in my seat they plopped into the water. They got hung up on my line which was attached to my net that I had just scooped an ocean white fish up with. I went to lift the line out of the water to grab the pliers and plop they went...again. Never to be seen again. I'm sure some diver will find them eventually. They were my best pair  :smt012

FF
-FF

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Wow! what a great string, being  relatively inexperienced at surf launches my pride feels a little better now having read about other peoples crashes.  So it's not just me!!  I think the reason my list is so short is because I don't go that often.  However I did have a pretty good crash about a month ago at Doran.  Launched at the jetty on a day with about a 6 foot swell so there was zero surf there, but knowing I could use some practice I headed for the south/east end of the beach about a mile or so away where it's more exposed to the swell.  Learned a lesson or 2 there.  From the backside the shore break looked pretty small, turned out to be maybe 3-4 feet and very abrupt at the beach.  As I slowly (bad) edged towards my commit point a wave (no bigger than the rest) came up behind me and shoved me forward like a rocket.  I was in my fairly new 14 ft Maurader and as the back end kicked up I thought I was in for an endo, I was plastered into the seat from the forward push and couldn't bail out, I'm thinkin this is gonna be ugly, (and it was), at the last second the wave flipped me sideways and out, face down into about a foot of water, having done this last year at Big Sur I was smart enought to bury my face it the sand and cover up as the yak flew over my head, less painful than the knock on the head last time.  Since I thought the surf looked really small I hadn't lashed all my stuff just the expensive stuff, I lashed my rod down tight, I usually have enough slack to pull the rod out and into my hands but not this time, so the handle was still in the holder but the rod had snapped off clean, lost a set of pliers that were in a securely vlecroed pocket, it's hard to get them out anyway, but the surf did it, the rest of my unsecured stuff just laid or bobbed around in the surf until I collected it.  Nice thing about the maurader is that you can easily stow an 8 ft rod in the hull, so as I nervously got ready to go back out the boat was absolutley clean the only thing not stowed was the seat and the paddle.  Of course I crashed again last week at Van Damme of all places, but I did finish the trip with a good landing, Practice, practice,,,,

CoS

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
my only loss was my fishing license last year at Montana de Oro (typing with one hand and knocking on wood with the other). I usually keep it tucked away as legally possible, but I was the only boat (PBs) included and was in 120ft of water and DFG rolled up on me in thier 90' boat and checked my lisence and fish. So I pulled it exposed it more and lost it on the paddle in. I rolled on opening day at Leffingwell with an audience of newbs that were being coached on the beach. That was when I used to do my skimboard style launches, where I'd fling my boat out and jump in feet first. That was my last one of those. The worst part was that I could here the coach on the beach telling his group "that's what not to do". So I was that guy, but somehow I grabbed both rods and everything else was stowed.
...got him in the boat he measured six foot long I was so dang impressed I had to write this song...

BigDog

• Salmon
  • View Profile My wildlife habitat project
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I had a brief "brain fart" last year down at the Rancho that cost me dearly. I always stow my gear if there is any surf. But on this day, after fight the wind and the drift all day, my brain just went into neutral and I went into shore with everything out. That big hand that came up out of the water was amazing. And it slapped me silly. I went one way, the yak went another and about $100.00 of tackle went out to sea. Not only that but my fishfinder and VHS went swimming also. The VHS was fine but the FF got fried. Luckily, everything else survived cause I at least had all my leashes attached.
Hopefully, I won't ever do that again.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
It was nice to meet many of you at BAM III. :smt001 Even though I blanked!!! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
As for the donations, so far I have been lucky, only one donation. :smt012 at the end of a tourn. at Dana Point in 05. I was entering through the small surf when my partner was really nervous about his first surf landing. Trying to keep him calm I turned around in my seat and said if you don't want to wipe out than just don't. Of course when I turned around the small wave caught my yak and turned me sideways and rolled me before I knew what happened. Because the surf was so small I hadn't leashed any gear.
Donation Total:
1-Seeker rod
1-Daiwa sl30sx reel
3-Plano dry boxes
10-misc. Mega Bait jigs
20+-misc. plastics
1-new Motorola cell phone :smt010
1-new Motorola bluetooth :smt010
just goes to show it only takes a second on the best of days to change the entire situation. STAY ALERT!
Can't wait to join you guys again - best group I have ever had the honor of fishing with.
Eric / Yakhopper
Hobie Outback (dune)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I can't take credit for the idea since I got it from John Airey.  But it was obvious to me after going out the first time with leashes on everything that there had to be a better solution.

Certain thing I like attached to my PFD with landyards, (GPS, knife, VHF), certain things are always leashed to the boat, (game clips, another knife), some items are made to float, (gaff, rod), and yet other items are not tethered, but a backup is carried just in case, (paddle).

Everyone has their own system.

ssgbart

• Salmon
  • View Profile
If lakes count as "donations to the sea", my son made a nice donation, in my name.

We were fishing Lake Mendocino last Saturday.  I had my VHF and one of the Motorola FRS radios.  My son had the other FRS.  I told him to call me if he got cold, hungry, tired, etc. and we would pack it in.  About an hour later I see him walking over the point toward me.  He had dropped the radio in the lake.  Of course he didn't remember dropping it in the lake but he hadn't been on dry land between the time I gave it to him and when he tried to call me. At least the FRS radios are cheap.  And I have a new item on my Christmas list.

screwloose

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
So far I've ben pretty lucky. Lost my sweet 4'6' light tackle R/R that I used for fishing small streams in the Sierra's. It could cast under the lowest overhanging brush or slingshot a crawler into an eddy like no other rod I've ever had. But while on Donner Lake with my son he got too close to me with his kayak while fishing with one of my larger rods and somehow knocked my R/R into the lake. The real pisser was that we could see the rod in 50' of water but it was between two rocks and I couldn't snag it.

Other than that I haven't lost anything else off the kayak. But out of the canoe... well thats a different story altogether.

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
So far I've been pretty lucky, just my father-in-law's trout net.  I know my day is coming though.  :smt009

On that same note, my father-in-law lost his favorite ultra-light trout rod at Loch Lomond, man was he pissed.  His first ever outing in a yak.  In fact he had been in the saddle less than an hour.  He almost packed it in after sending that rod to it's final resting place but I was able to keep him out there.

Michael

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Donations made to the sea:

Almost Me.   My best butt-pad.   My favorite hat.   My favorite cheap dark glasses.

The camera.

But they will never get my Hobie Sport. Ever.

-Matt

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
                            ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I dropped my ICOM M-34 over the edge at Lake Del Valle... 

Didn't have it clipped to my PFD like usual...  Had it in the pocket of the PFD, and it slipped out when I turned to grab my rod while trolling. 

And of course if you know the M-34, its the floating model...  Which I bought because I thought it would be kinda idiot proof... 

But I put another one of them caribeaners on it, not the light aluminum ones, but a cheap (not climbing) metal one that came with my yakima rack. 

It sank before I could wrestle free my net...  If it wasn't 30ft of water, would have dove back into get it...

So... just ordered a new one, but this time with the remote speaker MIC, which is also supposed to float with the unit.

But...

THIS TIME I WILL TEST IT'S ABILITY TO FLOAT FIRST!!!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
But...

THIS TIME I WILL TEST IT'S ABILITY TO FLOAT FIRST!!!

With or without the cheapo carabiner?  :smt003  :smt044   J/K!

On a serious note though Al, with the MIC, it shouldn't need to leave your PFD pocket.  And if it does, the MIC is clipped to your PFD, kind of like a built in tether or leash. :smt007   You should be set! :smt002

BTW, were you ever able to complete your FF install because I've still got the goods if you want them.

Michael

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
With or without the cheapo carabiner?  :smt003  :smt044   J/K!
BTW, were you ever able to complete your FF install because I've still got the goods if you want them.

Well, going to look for a smaller clip to use and first ill try some of the cheap aluminum carabiner's I have *(and should have used)*.  But thinking I may find something even smaller or lighter, like a zip tie  :smt003 or a velcro wrap, etc. 

And yeah, I got my FF installed, and a battery box made.  Just nothing to write home about.  Still did it without putting a single hole in the boat :)  Made my own mount that fit inside the Sail Mast hole, and its been working OK, for now.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Mavigator

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Just curious....

How many of you have flipped your yak due to stupidity (or what ever reasons) in the open ocean (or Lake) while surf launching or landing and what did you end up losing (as far as gear)?

For me:
 1) Half Moon Bay - out by the green bouy - lost 2 rods, sunglasses, disposable camera, ALL my tackle. :smt013 I was on a 11ft Cobra Explorer back then....it was stupidity on my part :smt011 I was leaning to the side of the yak to see the Ling that I had hooked - a sneaker wave hit me from the blind side.
2) Davenport - I did not flip the yak but a 15 # halibut I caught wigged out on my lap - as I was calling a friend from my cell - asking for info. on Halibut size limit. As the Halibut gave me an undesired lap dance - I got startled  :smt031 and my cell phone went flying into the ocean. It was the Halibut's fault  :smt097
3) Linda Mar - I was practicing landing the yak on a big swell day (with John and Mike) I was landing backwards - the first wave flooded me and my yak turned to the side. I tried to point the bow towards the second incoming wave but because the yak was flooded - I was not able to turn the bow in time(too heavy to steer) I flipped and lost my sunglasses.
4) Linda Mar - salmon fishing with Erik. I was landing backwards and everything was going fine BUT I did not get off the yak soon enough. I was in knee deep of water when I should have gotten off the yak -instead I stayed on and a wave crashed on top of my bow - sending me to the water. stupidy on my part - did not loose any gear - just pride.

total loss:

2 sunglasses
tackle
1 cell phone
2 rod and reel combo
1 disposable camera
lot's of pride  :smt010

anything