Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Baked Abalone  (Read 6831 times)

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
After having eaten fried abalone and fried rockfish in abundance this weekend, I thought it was time for a change...  Here's a good way to prepare abalone in a more healthy way.

Preheat oven to 425.

Prepare and slice abalone as normal.

Mix 2 parts italian seasoned breadcrumbs with 1 part shredded Parmesian Cheese.

Dip abalone slices in egg, allow to drip, then coat with bread crumb mixture.

Place slices on a cookie sheet and pile a little extra parmesian cheese on top of each slice.

Bake until brown... bake on lower rack to get the bottom brown, then broil to brown the top if necessary.

Serve with lemon juice if preferred.

2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Anonymous

Your baked Ab looks awesome. Here is another way to baked it that I was sharing with Sean a while back.

1) Whack the abalone whole on the flat foot side four or five times and then the opposite side. Of course we are doing this on the concrete. You must do this very precisely so as to not implode the ab by hitting it on its side. I cut off a pant leg of some old jeans and sew the bottom end shut. place the whole ab in the pant leg and let er have it.

2) put flour on each side and brown in pan for approximately 8 min
3) put in a glass casserole dish with a lid that has a tight seal and pour in 1/2 cup white wine and 3/4 cup of water, 4 cloves minced garlic
4)bake at 350 for 1 hour

Muy Rico!!!

pondsurf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
oops! The above post was me
It is hard for me much more than about three thickly cut pieces of that baked ab. It usually comes out of the oven soft enough to cut with a fork!!
Brent
When the Lord takes your sins, you never see them again. He casts them into the depths of the sea, forgiven and forgotten. I even believe that He places a sign over them that reads no fishing allowed.

pondsurf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
It is hard for me much more than about three thickly cut pieces of that baked ab.

WOW! I need a proof reader! "to eat" should have been in there. I am sure you all can read between the lines.
Brent
When the Lord takes your sins, you never see them again. He casts them into the depths of the sea, forgiven and forgotten. I even believe that He places a sign over them that reads no fishing allowed.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Thanks Brent... Yeah... I always whack 'em whole... I wrap them in a towel or old t-shirt (clean of course) and pound them with a mallet until I feel them soften a bit.  Then I slice and cook without having to pound each individual piece.  Comes out tender every time.  

Also, after I pop them from the shell, I let them sit in a bowl in the fridge overnight before I finish cleaning them... allows them to relax (chill out I suppose) and I feel that it allows the meat to be more easily tenderized by whacking them whole.

Everyone's got their methods don't they....

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

pondsurf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Erik-The bowl is great! I do the same only I use a colander so the slime can drip away.  :smt016 We should figure out a way to use that ab slime. Motor Oil? Slip-n-slide for kids? Secret Sea Food Sauce? Better yet let package it in bottles and sell it in the fishing stores to put on lures as attractant. Hey, Berkely, does it with their power bait and now there recent Trout gravy and Catfish gravy.
Hmm!
Brent

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Erik,
Both Abalone dishes look OUTSTANDING.  

I'll have to try the baked version.  Its looks great.

Stuart

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
We always feel bad about eating so much abalone that's pan fried in butter.  Baking looks like less work too.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.